iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old time remedies and cures.

Started by Bibbyman, January 01, 2010, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

That ain't the only place you want to keep it away from. We played some really visious pranks with it back in my high school sports days.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

crtreedude

Quote from: LeeB on January 04, 2010, 01:58:46 AM
Tobacco does have some analgesic qualities, hence putting chewing tobacco on a wasp sting.

It was a family cure to use wet chewing tobacco on a sting, and we thought it prevented swelling, etc. It really did work well, we thought, for all of us.

Till one day we didn't have any and discovered none of us react to bee stings.  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

RynSmith

I mistook tiger balm for lip gloss once.  Once was certainly enough!  :o  :o

crtreedude

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on September 07, 2010, 12:02:43 AM
Here is a cure for hickups:  Fill a glass with water.  put your lips on the far edge and bend over and take a few drinks.   

We call it the upside down glass of water.  I have never had it fail.   Good for a few laughs also.

There is a reason it works, too. It forces you to use your swallowing muscles.

crtreedude

My wife had a cough that wouldn't quit for 8+ weeks and did some research and found out that using garlic, raw cocoa and some stuff will stop the coughing and let you heal. She tried everything, including over the counter, and prescription. She is prone to this, and has used it a couple of times since, and so has some friends. It seems to work every time. Heck of a lot cheaper too.

crtreedude

The home remedy here for a cold coming on is to take two limes, juice them, add salt, and knock it back like a shot of whisky. Seems to work wonders. Pretty funny one day to arrive down at the office and a crew was getting ready to go work, and all of them were taking their medicine. Look like a bunch of lumberjacks coming up to the bar.  :D About two days cured everyone.

two tired

to stop an earake cut a limb of a wild persimon tree, about 12 inches long or so, place the limb in a fire,or on a burner of a stove, catch the juice that comes out in a spoon and as soon as it is cool enough put it in the ear, i have put 3 to 10 drops in the ear. earake is gone in about 1 hour or so. it also seems to kill the infection in the ear. my dad used this remidy on us, i have not had an earake but mayby 3 or 4 times in my 62 yearsof life. it worked for our young children also.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

zopi

Ctree...been doing that for a long time, but I dilute it some with water...every so often I get to craving lime amd salt for some reason.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Patty

We have trouble with mice getting into our equipment and chewing the wires and eating the seats, or dieing and sticking up the place something fierce. A guy told us to throw some of those stinky dryer sheets into the cab and the mice will stay away. Has anyone heard of this ? Does it work? I hate to stick up the bulldozer or trackhoe anymore than they are now with dryer sheets, but if it works, I am all for it.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Patty on November 06, 2011, 12:22:47 PM
throw some of those stinky dryer sheets into the cab and the mice will stay away

Patty,

A lady friend at work told me at it was the only way she can keep the mice out of her rear seat.

Bruce

Patty

Good enough!   I bought a box of the smelliest ones I could find and put one in each of the vehicles. I will let you know how they work.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

mooleycow

ammonia for bee stings.  cremedemint for children coughing,  had asthma as a kid.  I was given everything from alcohol to arsenic, finally growed out of it.  When I was a kid syringes was glass, they got cleaned and used over and over.  been stabbed 4or 5 times to get the shot, they just said i had tough skin.  i still hate shots.  maybe why i don"t talk nice to doctors to this day.  Dr Arey  alway use to argue with me, he would shake the thermometor at me, this tells me if you are sick or not, you're sick-you got the flu. you want to go to the hospital or go home.  I went home, kinda miss that old doctor

tractormanNwv

As a kid growing up, when I got a piece of dirt or whatever in my eye the kinfolks would drop a flax seed under the lower eyelid of my sore eye, and I will have to say by the following morning I was pretty good unless I had scratched the eye. If you get a cut..etc..and it gets infected make a poltice from redoak bark as hot as you can stand, use it 3 times a day and it will pull the infection out. usually the poltice will turn a greenish color as the infection comes out.

Jim

doctorb

OK - I don't want to sound like the traditional physician on a thread like this because many "home" remedies are based in true medicinal treatments.  but I would caution anyone from inserting anything under their eyelid as a purposful foreign body.  First, the eye is extrememly sensitive and most people wouldn't stand for for it.  Secondly, movement of a foreign body entrapped under a lid can scratch the cornea, leading to other problems. 

I assume that the remedy mentioned above worked because 1) it inflamed the eye to water profusely and 2) holding the lid slightly away from the eye allowed the tears to wash out, carrying the original offending foreign body with it.  It is better to have someone invert the lid and remove a foreign body than to try this remedy, IMO

If I get an eye infection, I am seeing somebody if it doesn't clear or improve in the first day or so.  I don't think the redoak makes any difference.  A warm moist washcloth every 4-6 hours would probably do just as well.

Not trying to rain on this thread's parade.  I just couldn't not say something.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Thanks Doc.   8)

My eyes water when someone else gets something in THEIR eye. No kidding. I could never get anything out of my kid's eyes, because mine would start watering. If I am talking to someone with red irritated eyes, my eyes will start watering as well.  Weird eh? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

doctorb
What you said makes perfect sense.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

Jeff-

There are many known instances of symbiotic reaction of one person taking on the symptoms of another who is ailing.  This can be taken to extremes.  Did you ever hear about fathers of a soon to be born child suffering through labor with the mother?  (Symbiotic labor pains) Well, in an effort to attempt to share the experience (and pain) with the mother, this has been reported.  Horse-hockey, IMO

No, I don't understand your eyes watering under these conditions.  Yes, it's wierd.  But if that's the wierdest thing about you, I think I can live with that. ;D

I reread tractorman's post, and I originally thought he was talking about infections around the eye.  I see now that he was undoubtedly speaking about infections in general.  There are all types of poltices which work the same way as a warm wet cloth.  Some of these natural made pastes have antibacterial properties and may assist in preventing or in superficial treatment of an infection.  Superficial infections or abscesses that are encouraged to drain out (moist heat, hot steel) heal themselves quite well from the depths of the wound to the surface.  The key is keeping them open to drain.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

JV

My grandmother used bacon fat poltice placed over a splinter to "draw it out."  I got a long one stuck from the web between my thumb and finger to almost the middle of the palm of my hand.  The fat didn't have enough pull but Doc did.  A numbing shot, a towel laid across his desk, a pair of forceps, and a scalpel worked quite well.  You couldn't be squeamish in those days.  Doc and I met frequently in my younger days including the time he stitched up my forehead on his kitchen table while his wife cooked supper.  A wad of tabacco was used for bee stings and nettles.  Sassafras tea for colds and headaches (the cupboard always had a supply of roots).  Most remedies were based on experiences long handed down, some worked, some were just plain dangerous.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

beenthere

Quote from: JV on December 29, 2011, 11:40:52 AM
.............  Most remedies were based on experiences long handed down, some worked, some were just plain dangerous.

Remedies like the Mom who would say "I'll kiss it and make it better".   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Remedies like the Mom who would say "I'll kiss it and make it better".   ;D ;D
[/quote]

I always preferred that to the remedies that I got. >:(
Bill

SwampDonkey

Often a good remedy involved a belt or a good hazel switch.  ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 06, 2011, 06:07:22 AM
Quote from: Bro.  Noble on October 05, 2010, 10:12:15 AM
I'm  not sure if your stinging nettle is the same as ours,  but there are two common remedies here.  One is milk and the other is the juice from a plant.   This plant grows in the same places as the nettles so is usually real handy.  I don't rmember the name of the plant, but it's stem looks kinda like wax begonia.  It has a yellow bloom. 

Spotted touch-me-not, or jewel weed and it works.

SD; Is the Spotted touch-me-not the bushy green plant with yellow flowers that pop open and spread their seeds when someone touches them?

We have lots of those in this area, also lots of stinging nettles!

Thanks
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Chuck yes, the stem is succulent and full of juice.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!