iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old time remedies and cures.

Started by Bibbyman, January 01, 2010, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I was too young to remember but my folks say one time at a visit to the old country doctor, they asked him about doing something about the warts on my hands.  He said he had something to remove them but if we could find a hollow stump with water and leaves standing in it, to wash my hands in the water and the warts would go away.  They did and the warts went away.  Old story, often told.

My now long gone Uncle Ed was raised in southern Missouri.  He told many stories.  One I remember was about his uncle that developed a tumor on his forehead.  He went to a doctor that had a cure he'd learned from the Indians.  He gave him some of this salve and told him to keep it applied for a full month.  He was also advised that he would be in great pain.  Uncle Ed said his uncle wore the grass off of the field behind his house walking to help cope with the pain.  He said he returned in a month's time and the doctor got out a long, heavy needle and probed under the tumor and pulled it out – roots and all.  Said it was black and had tentacles that ran out to the size of the palm of your hand.  He said a doctor came down from the big city to study his cure for tumors.  This doctor called the country doctor a quack.  The country doctor took whatever cure he had for tumors to his grave.  So the story goes.

I was just reading stories about life in the 1800's in southern Missouri.  There was an account of a woman giving birth to a blind baby.  She took the baby to the doctor who treated the baby by massaging up and down its spine.  After a few treatments, the mother trained herself to do the rubdown and continued the treatments.  The baby finally gained total sight in one eye and some in the other.  The mother stopped the treatments and the baby's eyesight didn't continue to improve.  She felt that if she would have continued the treatments, the girls may have made a full recovery.  I don't see where there would be any connection between messaging the spine and eyesight,  but ... that's the story.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

The warts cure is in Tom Sawyer...works too....Warts...keep moist with vitamin E..just squeeze it out of the capsules and keep a band aid over it.
Wart will go away..

Tension headache? On the hand opposite the side it hurts worse on, massage the web between finger and thumb...helps if you can relax while you are doing it...gets faster with practice...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jasperfield

Bee stings will alleviate the pain of arthritis for several days, and regardless of the location(s) of the sting(s) relative to the affected joint.

Kerosene applied to cuts, scrapes, etc. will reduce time to heal and will eliminate soreness of injury.

timberfaller390

Kerosene, moonshine, and horse liniment will cure anything that ails you
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

pigman

I assume you are to drink the moonshine , but put the kerosene and horse liniment on the wound. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

timberfaller390

Pigman, you could try it the othr way around but I don't think you'll like it.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

LeeB

A hot toddy will stop a child from coughing and let them sleep better than any cough syrup. I'm not recomending giving drink to a child but a small dose of lemon, honey and a dab of wiskey with hot water works. Good for us older folks too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

My dad used to blow cigar smoke in your ear when you had an earache.  It always seemed to help, but my mom didn't like the way it stunk up the house.   :D

My dad had warts and went to the local powwow lady.  She said to take chicken feet and fry them so the grease comes out of it.  Rub the grease on your warts, then bury the feet under the north eaves of the house.  When the feet rot, the warts will be gone.  My dad said it worked.  My grandmother said the woman was a witch.  Witchcraft was pretty common in the area, and is to some extent today.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

Tobacco does have some analgesic qualities, hence putting chewing tobacco on a wasp sting.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

My dad used to cut Ironwood (Hophornbeam) heart wood into strips about the size of pop-sicle sticks and put them in canning jars (so the jar was almost full) then fill the jar with water. Don't know if anything else was added.
The jar would be placed in the cabinet for a period of time.
Then when one of us kids would get an upset stomach he'd give us one of the sticks to chew on.  ::)
Whether it really worked is anyone's guess.  We usually didn't wait around for a second stick! ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

treedog

If you get the Hick-ups, swallow a packet of sugar or tea spoon full, they'll quit.

pigman

Castor oil will cure a stomach ache in school age children. Well, it might not stop the stomach ache, but it will stop them from complaining.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Chuck White

Quote from: pigman on January 05, 2010, 10:23:56 PM
Castor oil will cure a stomach ache in school age children. Well, it might not stop the stomach ache, but it will stop them from complaining.

That's kinda what we found out about dad's concoction!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

timber tramp

My Grandma used to put "mustard plasters" on us for colds, not sure what she made them out of, but if you left it on your chest for half an hour you'd get blisters.
  Also sugar on burns and bee stings. Red iodine for everything else. I miss Grandma, but I sure don't miss some of her "remedies". ;)                :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

beenthere

My grandmother came out with ginger tea for me to drink..not sure if for a cold, or for a flu bug.

But to this day, I cannot stand the smell of ginger.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Toolman

Baking soda(add enough water to make it pastey) will immediately stop the pain from Bee stings. Raw Honey rubbed on a cut will heal twice as fast. Stomach virus, chew on a ginger root.  smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb Hit your thumb with a hammer, cursing very loudly seems to alleviate the anger and frustration. Still trying to find a home cure to ease the thumping...any suggestions? Ice does'nt work fast enough, I've tried it. :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

LOGDOG

I was actually a really unhealthy kid growing up. Had bad asthma. My mom wasn't big on prescription meds to treat me. When I'd have an asthma attack there were several things we'd try to settle me down. Massage was one of them. When you can't breath you get scared and tense and that only compounds the problem. The massage would help me relax. Actually if she could get me to the chiropractor he could snap me out of it within about 10-15 minutes. One other thing that helped was putting me in a walk in cooler or have me breath straight into an air-conditioning unit. The cool air helped.

Vicks Vapor Rub was a constant go-to. Still is. I don't travel without it.

When I used to have bronchitis or bad chest congestion my mom would fry up a pan of onions just until they became overly translucent. She make a compress with a steamed towel and the onions piled inside of it and place it on my chest. Talk about loud. Wow. But it must have done some good. Used it quite a few times.

Those are just a few things that come to mind. I'm sure I can recall a few more with some thought.

LOGDOG

timber tramp

Bag balm too, I forgot to mention the bag balm. Works real good for chapped lips, not as effective for poison oak.  ;D      :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

LeeB

Chicken poo works good for chapped lips too. It won't make them feel any better but it sure stops you from lickiing them.  :D  :D  :D  :D

ohsoloco

Quote from: LeeB on January 03, 2010, 07:52:24 AM
A hot toddy will stop a child from coughing and let them sleep better than any cough syrup. I'm not recomending giving drink to a child but a small dose of lemon, honey and a dab of wiskey with hot water works. Good for us older folks too.

When I was little and had a tooth ache that kept me up at night, my mom would get me to dip my finger in the whiskey bottle, and rub a little on my tooch and gum.  Can't remember if it actually helped the pain or not, cuz I was asleep in no time  :D

treedog

Bibbyman, can't hardly believe this thread had'nt taken off more than it has!!  This subject is so interesting; listening to the "Old Timer's" , my father being 1; finding pine sap and having to eat it help numberous things.  The most interesting I've heard comes from African Americans; not so long ago they didn't have access to doctors like most so they home remedeyed there selves.  I don't remember most of what i've heard from all, but home remedies is all they had for years, don't care who you were.  I'll try to refresh (milk) some I've listened to; amazing subject.   Scott

woodsteach

We use warm water with sea salt for gargling when the girls have a sore thoat.

Warm organic apple cider vinegar in the ear for soothing ear aches.

I made a echinicha (sp) tincture this year and when cold symptom come 1/2 tsp 3x/day for me and 1/4 tsp for the kids.

Pickled garlic for keeping the flu away.  (knock on wood)

not very old time I know but they what we are using!

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Bro. Noble

I like Tom Joad's blood stopper that he used in 'The Grapes of Wrath'  :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

LeeB

I'm a firm believer in garlic and hot peppers for what ails you.

Tom

Yeah!  Me too.  Especially when it comes with a Prime Rib.  ;D

QuoteI like Tom Joad's blood stopper
Well, I guess it at least washed it off.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!