iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

On the job 32 hours straight...

Started by Banjo picker, December 31, 2009, 01:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

We had a good bit of excitement for our little one horse town Monday morning...A tanker truch with 8500 gallons of gasoline hit a log trailer that had come loose from the truck pulling it as it came out on the road....log tailer was empty...the tanker and the truck flipped upside down on US hwy 25....Happened at about 6 am....We had and unbelieveable amount of agencys there....They got the truck turned back over about 9 or 10 pm....It was a mess...  the truck lost about 3000 gals. of gas....

All we at MDOT had to do was keep the traffic moving around the detour we set up... but boy are there some folks out there that don't need to be driving....Got the road opened back up last night ( Wed.)  at 7 pm......Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chris Burchfield

Thirty two years ago Germantown Fire Department sent and Engine and Crew to Waverly Tn. on a similar accident that turned out much worse. Bunch of agencies involved. I stayed home to maintain the fort.

On Feb. 24, 1978, a derailed tank car containing liquefied petroleum gas exploded. The resulting fire killed 16 people in Waverly, injured 43 more and nearly destroyed the downtown area.
Twenty-three cars of the train actually derailed on Feb. 22. It was two days before attempts to unload any of the cars took place, and actually never did. Crews were just arriving to do it when the tanker exploded. The tank car had been lifted up and propped on the side of another derailed car, so crews could reopen the tracks. The tank car was checked often for leaks. Then two days later something set off the explosion. The propped-up tank car shot into downtown Waverly like a rocket, spewing fire over a large area. Fire units from as far away as Nashville, and into Kentucky responded.

What may sound like a list of errors in judgement in handling the situation was actually approved operational procedures in 1978. This disaster caused all of that to change.

If you go, take time to learn about the people involved, see the exhibits and view the monument on the outside of the museum. The caboose today sits in the exact spot the ruptured tank car sat in on that day in 1978.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

DanG

WOW!!  3000 gallons of gasoline leaked without a fire.  That is nothing short of a miracle!  Somebody was either mighty smart, or mighty lucky...probably both!

I got a feeling that a log truck drivin' job just opened up. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frickman

Five or six years ago a semi tanker hauling gasoline took a turn too fast in town and upset. It happened during the afternoon rush and I got caught at the post office and had a DanG hard time getting home. Forty five minutes and five miles later I finally got home when up the road comes the local fire department. They needed hay or straw bales to set up a dike to contain any spilled gasoline and foam. This accident was about four hundred yards from the river. So off I go back into town in the middle of a convoy of volunteer firemen hauling straw bales to the scene. It was alot of fun flying down the divided four lane the wrong way amidst all the sirens and lights.

So we got to the accident scene and what did I see? Every welfare bum and check collector from that end of town ran to the scene to see what was going on. The firemen had to control the crowds and fight the fire at the same time. Yes, there was a fire, but fortunately the tank never blew. In fact, we were lucky that there were no injuries other than the driver get bumped around a little.

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

zopi

Chris, I don't remember that one, but I have seen pictures of it..I recruited for the Navy in Clarksville, and was on the the rescue squad there...I covered waverly as a part of my territory...what a mess.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

customsawyer

Zopi you may want to edit your post if some of these folks find out you were a recruiter of any kind they might get mad at ya. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

Quote from: DanG on December 31, 2009, 09:50:31 PM
WOW!!  3000 gallons of gasoline leaked without a fire.  That is nothing short of a miracle!  Somebody was either mighty smart, or mighty lucky...probably both!

I got a feeling that a log truck drivin' job just opened up. :D

We were very fortunate.  It could have happened in a much worse place.  Traffic only had to detour for about 2 miles around it....When I got there it had just happened and the ditches had gas standing in them....The pumper sucked up a lot of it....some went on down the ditch and into the water system....Then they loaded truck load after truck load into containers to haul off....

On another take:  In years gone by I have complained about having to have a couple of millon dollars of insurance that I didn't think I needed....(Company I mainly worked for made me have it to come on their jobs.).....I got to thinking about what would have happened if one of my trailers had come loose some how and done that. :o  I would bet everyone that was ever connected to that little accident will get hammered...form the manuf. of the trailer to who made the king pin all the way to the company that owned the gas truck the drivers and who ever else can be tied into it....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

Quote from: customsawyer on January 01, 2010, 04:50:18 AM
Zopi you may want to edit your post if some of these folks find out you were a recruiter of any kind they might get mad at ya. ;D

Nahh..was Navy recruiter in an Army town...Fish...Barrel..that sort of thing...Besides they'd have to stand in line..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tim its good to hear it didnt go up Mate  ;)we just had one the other day 4 dead incuding the truckie and the parents are in hospital with burns to 80% of thier body Its a shocking stretch of highway to travel on in a truck   :( :'(

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!