iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling Logs Close Call

Started by customdave, December 30, 2009, 11:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customdave

I aquired  some very nice large poplar logs about 20 miles from home! I was hauling last load home to the mill , DOT pulls me over oh oh I know I'm way overloaded, man I'm sunk, gonna getter. The officer comes up to the window & asks what are you hauling? I just about started laughing , then he asked what I was doing with the logs  & I told him I was going to mill them into lumber. He then asked if it would be possible to purchase some of this lumber? Turns out after talking with him , he & his brother & retired dad have a small furniture making bussness together , thats what he pulled me over for , he has been lookin for steady supply of poplar lumber milled to sizes they need! So I got away with overload & gained a steady customer, it was a good day!!

Lucky Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

CLL

Where I live he would have checked your weight, spent two hours going over your truck for faults, checked your CDL, insurance, fuel, then wrote you a ticket for being overweight, and made you get another truck to offload the logs to get to legal weight. Oh yes, he would check the other truck out once the logs was loaded.
Too much work-not enough pay.

red oaks lumber

you are soooo lucky! here they would  just throw the book at you, i'm thinking you'll be selling poplar lumber to your new customer at the "good buddy discount". you might not be so lucky next time...
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Sprucegum

8) What a country!!  :D   :D

barbender

You just never know what's going to happen when you get pulled over by the DOT, goes to show why there is no reason to get all worked up before hand. Sometimes they might just be lonely ::) Getting a customer out of the deal, now that is sweet, make him happy with the lumber and maybe he'll tell all the other troopers to leave you alone too ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

~Ron

Coon

Around here you would have been holding onto your ankles.  ::) :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ely

a good salesman would make him hold his ankles when came for the lumber. ;D

Wudman

I got one of those breaks back in my teen years.  I was driving my grandmothers car.  It was a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda.  I was coming home one night from work and the blue lights appeared.  I pulled over and the office approached my window.  "Is that a 65 he asked?"  Yes sir.  "Does it have the 273 (CID)?"  Yes sir.  "727 trans?"  Yes sir.  "4 Barrel?".  No sir, it's a 2 barrel.  He said, "your tail lights are not burning."  He checked the inspection sticker.  It was current.  "See if you can get them working before you move.  Have a good night."  

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Ed_K

That is the best merry newyear I've heard in many yrs. Way to go.
Ed K

Frickman

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. It turned out this officer was also a woodworker, and so were many of his friends. I sold alot of lumber off that deal.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

customdave

One thing that maybe helped was my honest face? ;) & Iwas hauling with my son's smaller outfit, F-350 diesal superduty & his 32' tandem duel goosneck with heavy stake pins in pockets & 6 rachet tie down straps. But I know I had at least 20000 # on, the trailer is good for 22000# but the trailer wieghs 7500# empty. I had 3o logs on ranging from 8' to 18' & average dia  16"-18" ? green poplar.But I think he was more interested in finding out about the lumber supply. I bet I was 6000-8000#s over!Whew!

Happy New Year Everyone 8)

Lucky Dave ;D
Love the smell of sawdust

stonebroke

In NYS they tend not to weigh pickups just harass you for everything else.

Stonebroke

Samuel

Quote from: customdave on December 30, 2009, 11:33:02 AM
I aquired  some very nice large poplar logs about 20 miles from home! I was hauling last load home to the mill , DOT pulls me over oh oh I know I'm way overloaded, man I'm sunk, gonna getter. The officer comes up to the window & asks what are you hauling? I just about started laughing , then he asked what I was doing with the logs  & I told him I was going to mill them into lumber. He then asked if it would be possible to purchase some of this lumber? Turns out after talking with him , he & his brother & retired dad have a small furniture making bussness together , thats what he pulled me over for , he has been lookin for steady supply of poplar lumber milled to sizes they need! So I got away with overload & gained a steady customer, it was a good day!!

Lucky Dave

Your are lucky you were there and not in Whitecourt.  You may have been able to post bail tonight if you were lucky. :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

AlexHart

Barbender is right on when he says you just never know whats going to happen when the DOT pulls you over.

I've had my truck surrounded SWAT team style, been screamed insults at while having a finger wagged in my face, I've ended up crawling around in the grass and helping the cops root under the seats of their cruisers after they physically lost my drivers license (that cost me $40ish for a new one but at least they didn't have the balls to give me any tickets after that fiasco) and I've also had them be as nice as could be.

The one certain thing is that I avoid 'em if at all possible.   

stonebroke

How does a cop lose your license?

Stonebroke

barbender

Yes AlexHart, I've found it to be best when we just keep our distance, the DOT and I. In MN, with our rail trailers the DOT requires the load to be rounded on top so your chains touch the top of every log that is on top of the load. When I started hauling wood pulling the center mount loader trailer, I was very careful to round my loads, and make sure my weight was ok and all. I had my ducks in a row,  is what I'm trying to say. Especially since the previous driver had recieved a $400 fine for a chain down violation. Well, we had one job where every load had to go through the MnDot scale. Even after trying to do everything right, I would come through there 3 times a day biting my nails, because I'm afraid they'll manage to find something. Well, I made it through with no problems, but what got me was the fact that the fellow driving the other truck didn't care much, just pitched the wood on, some real ugly loads too- I wouldn't have even hauled some of them. He pulls on the scale with one of these ugly loads, and he's overweight to boot! The trooper just told him "You're over weight, be careful of that" and let him go. You just never know ::)
Too many irons in the fire

AlexHart

haha   Stonebroke I'm not sure how they managed to do it but they did.    I was puttering along minding my own business when I saw the flashing lights behind me and I pulled over.    I was just starting to wonder what the heck the officer was doing that he wasn't coming over to see me when all of a sudden the passenger door of my truck flew open and there he is right in the truck with me.   His first question was "where are you going" which kind of surprised me....  what the heck do they care?   And what do they think?  I'm just out making laps in my triaxle log truck for the pure joy of it? 

Anyway he interrogated me, looked over my papers, and took my license and cab card and told me to follow him to a commuter parking lot up the street.  Not sure where he came from but another officer in another car appeared at the new lot.   They looked over my lights, weighed the truck ect. and were just about to start digging deeper (I think) when one of them asked the other to hand over my license for something.   Nobody had  it.   They looked through their clipboards, pockets, the ground, the grass, down the bank.   One of them went back to the spot he pulled me over and by that time I was helping them look under the car seats ect.    Gone.    Just totally gone.   One of the officers filled me out a card with a name phone # ect. to request a free license since it was their fault but of course I just got a cold stare at the DMV and had to pay the 40 dollars or whatever it costs anyway.   

I always wonder what actually happened to it and for awhile I was slightly concerned about ID theft stuff but nothing ever seemed to come of it.   I guess the logging gods just made it vanish so they'd be too embarrassed to give me a ticket for a "chafed" air line or some such BS.    LOL!   

stonebroke

Makes you wonder who they hire to be cops now a days.

Stonebroke

inwoodcutter

That was probably his sure fire way to get a completely honest answer out of you!

Dan
Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

Thank You Sponsors!