iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw mills and milling

Started by dkg, December 30, 2009, 03:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkg

A newborn on this site and most definitely when it comes to sawyering. 

I have the possibility of purchasing some koa logs that range from 18-32" diameter and 8-10' lengths.  Interested in purchasing a portable bandsaw mill, but after I cut the logs not so sure about what to do next.  If what is said is true about cutting being addictive than I maybe in it for the long haul(I have addictive tendencies)

The environment on Kaua'i is brutal on machinery.  During the winter season(high surf) you can see the salt mist all over the place.  It's tough living in paradise.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. If you go to the upper part of the page there is a search button, you might give it a try. Not trying to be a smart a__  here just trying to help.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

We have a member named Steve that used to mill Koa logs in Hawaii.  Here's the link to the search of Steve's posts:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=143;sa=showPosts;start=0

You might find some nuggets of information there.  You might also want to PM him or go to his website.  http://www.curlykoa.com/

I do know that he used a Mobile Dimension mill and not a bandmill.  Koa is pretty hard wood, from my understanding.  I know guys on here complain about sawing hickory on their bandmills.  Maybe you should consider all types of mills.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

fishpharmer

Welcome to forestry forum DKG.  It's always cool to have new members, especially members that live in exotic places ( to this Mississippi fella ;D).  This is  the place to learn about portable
band saw mills.  Log handling may be one  of your first considerations in buying a mill besides the corrosion.    Not being familiar with koa, could you share what its traditionally used for or what your goal is for the lumber?  
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the forum Dkg With the size Hardwood logs your looking at sawing if thats going to be 80/90% of what your going to saw id seriously consider a 6, 8 or 10" swinger depending on the sizes you want to saw  form either Lucas or Peterson as they both build a great mills that are  suited the conditions your working in  ;) just click on the icons on the lh side of the page Mate  ;) ;D and you can also breakdown the mill and store it inside while not in use which will make a difference with the salt air  ;)

James theres nothing wrong with your part of the world  ;) :D ;D 8) Everywheres exotic to an Aussie we like having a looksee everywhere Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D I also did a search for Koa seems like it mostly used for turning ,guitars furniture and the like Mate  ;) ;D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

dkg,welcome to the FF.I suppose Kaua'l is in HI? I can't even pronouce that.  ;D  My geography is not the best. Just so you will know it's only 4° out now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JD350Cmark

Quote from: thecfarm on December 30, 2009, 08:39:48 AM
dkg,welcome to the FF.I suppose Kaua'l is in HI? I can't even pronouce that.  ;D  My geography is not the best. Just so you will know it's only 4° out now.

I couldnt pronouce it before I went there.  It is in HI.  {ka-why-ee}  You should try to pronouce some of their towns.. ::)
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Stephen1

Welcome DGK, I was on your island last spring for a week and it is probably the only place my wife wants to go back to. 8) because it is by far my favorite. Now I will have someone to visit for my retirement month I am going to spend there. Good luck with whatever you get into, and it's true it is addicting "sawdust"
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

zopi

was gonna recommend a swinger...somebody beat me to it...aside from easy portability, a swinger can be broken down pretty small and stored in a controlled environment...

I feel your pain with the salt air thing..been in the Navy for 18 years..and I hate swinging a paint brush...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Hey Zoppi Sorry Mate  ;) Ill leave you the next one that comes up Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D 8) 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dkg

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
It took me a few years to get some of the easier names down

dkg

Thank You Sponsors!