iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Year 2010.

Started by Mooseherder, December 28, 2009, 06:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I have heard people reference the coming year both ways and was wondering how it'll all turn out.

I'm gonna say Two-thousand ten myself. ;)

breederman

I say two thousand and ten,but some times I am asked if english is really my 1st language. ;D
Together we got this !

Warbird

I will refer to it as: "The year of our Lord, two thousand and ten."  ;D  Or maybe just "10". 

Jasperfield

I'm tempted to speak it informally as "oh ten" as we have done with the preceding nine years.

easymoney

call it whatever you want i am just thankful i made it this far. i have already made it to the big 70. how many more is anybodys guess.   ;D

beenthere

"aught ten"
"two thousand ten"
"twenty ten"
"next year"

are some I've used.

"twenty ten" most often, I think.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D Hagens

Twenty ten, just cause that's what they call it here because of the Olympics that will be hosted here in 20 10.

DanG

I don't recall ever having referred to any years in the previous century as "One thousand, nine hundred, somethingorother", so why would I say "Two thousand"? ??? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

Mooseherder

Quote from: DanG on December 28, 2009, 07:44:52 PM
I don't recall ever having referred to any years in the previous century as "One thousand, nine hundred, somethingorother", so why would I say "Two thousand"? ??? ::)

How have you been pronouncing 2001, 2002, 2003 and the others then ??? :D

Chuck White

Look straight at the calendar and say "twenty-ten"!

When I was born they said "nineteen-fortynine"!  Whew!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanG

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 28, 2009, 08:12:38 PM

How have you been pronouncing 2001, 2002, 2003 and the others then ??? :D

Twenty oh one, Twenty oh two, etc. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

Maybe it's just me but I've been saying two-thousand one, two thousand three, etc ::)

beenthere

How about "two double oh one", "two double oh two", etc?  Not!  :)    ;)

The kiwi's and aussies have good (and interesting) shortcuts and nicknames (seems to me). What are they coming up with?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Okay, how would you pronounce, "there goes a 2003 Ford Pickup." :D

Paul_H

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 28, 2009, 08:42:56 PM
Maybe it's just me but I've been saying two-thousand one, two thousand three, etc ::)

I do too as well as "oh one" as in '01 '02....
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 28, 2009, 08:42:56 PM

Nope, it ain't just you Glenn.  It's DanG near everybody and I've been witching about it for almost a decade! :D :D :D

okmulch

I figure I have at least another month or two before it  gets programmed in my brain that it  is "oh ten" :D :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

IMERC

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 28, 2009, 08:49:00 PM
Okay, how would you pronounce, "there goes a 2003 Ford Pickup." :D
oh three...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 28, 2009, 06:05:08 PM
I have heard people reference the coming year both ways and was wondering how it'll all turn out.

what did Zager and Evans have to say about it???

Mooseherder

Quote from: IMERC on December 28, 2009, 09:56:00 PM

what did Zager and Evans have to say about it???

In the year 25-25.

isawlogs

Depending on who I talk to , here, most often it will be , deux mille  dix   ;D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

It doesn't matter to me. It will be six months before I realize it is not still 2009. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Me to. there is no such number as twenty ten. Twenty tens is 200. Twenty and ten is 30. two thousand ten is what it is. Shall it be said, shall it be written. Amen.

Besides, Twenty Ten just sounds Stupid.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff opens a can of worms (numbers).

seems we I called it nineteen ninety nine.
Nineteen ninety nines is 1881
Nineteen and ninety nine is 118

But in 2000 I likely didn't say 20 aught aught, or anything but two thousand.  Hmmm?

Now I don't know nuthin.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

The proper way to say 1999 would have been nineteen hundred and ninty nine. You probably have said it that way at one time or another.  Its the number of years. so 2 thousand 10 is the proper way to state the year.

Warbird

DouginUtah

I guess all that's left is 2K10.  ;D

:D  :D  :D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

DanG

There is precedent here.  There was some momentous event that occurred in the year 1066.  I forget what it was, but I recall ALL of my teacher referred to it as Ten Sixty Six.  I never heard a single reference to One Thousand Sixty Six.

Besides, bugging Jeff is reason enough for me to say it that way. ;D :D

Mooseherder

I heard a talking head say twenty ten this morning.  It doesn't sound right.

Jeff

No, it sounds stupid. ;)

IMERC

Quote from: pigman on December 28, 2009, 11:26:33 PM
It doesn't matter to me. It will be six months before I realize it is not still 2009. ::)

I know that feeling...

IMERC

Quote from: Jeff on December 28, 2009, 11:27:04 PM
Me to. there is no such number as twenty ten. Twenty tens is 200. Twenty and ten is 30. two thousand ten is what it is. Shall it be said, shall it be written. Amen.

Besides, Twenty Ten just sounds Stupid.

check that...

how about 2 ought 10...

sounds like something ya can hunt with...

Chris Burchfield

I'll be a 20 10er. Use to be I'd have to pay attention to the new year writing checks, or I'd write last years year on em. Don't write many checks now as I use a debit or credit card to pay for it.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Burlkraft

I guess I say twenty ten most of the time
Why not just 1 pain free day?

IMERC

Quote from: DanG on December 29, 2009, 07:12:50 AM
There is precedent here.  There was some momentous event that occurred in the year 1066.  I forget what it was,

WOW!!!!!!

you are old....

DanG

You ain't seen nuttin yet.  I'm waitin' to see what Jeff calls 2101. ;D

Warbird

Hmmm.  Maybe we munge up "twenty" and "aught", and call the year 2010 "taught-10".

Jeff

Quote from: DanG on December 29, 2009, 10:50:37 AM
You ain't seen nuttin yet.  I'm waitin' to see what Jeff calls 2101. ;D

A year I'll never see.

Tom

I called the year, in the previous century, nineteen hundred and 'lebin'
I seem to be calling the years in this century, two thousand and nine.  I don't know why, except that I was taught that that (?) was the proper way to identify that number.  I would call it two thousand and nine dollars, if I had it in my pocket.  :-\

When I get to 2100, I might call it twenty-one hundred, just because it rolls off of the tongue a little easier.  I don't know what I'll call 2200 yet.  Have to think on that one a bit.  :)

Mooseherder

smiley_smug01

After more thought and reflection on this today I'm sure that I haven't heard for the last 9 years,
twenty-o-one, twenty o-two and twenty o-three.  At least not in my circle. ;)

SwampDonkey

I say 20 10, cause I'm stupid.

Oh, and I'm on dial-up.

So yeah, that explains it, eh? :D

Wait, I didn't say I never said 2010 on occasion. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

NAGG says "twenty ten", in short, it is shorter to say and humans usually take the shortest route.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/01/MN621BB41U.DTL

Happy New Year.  I hope the Mexicans can keep thing cool, they have a track record of breaking down, 1809-1810, 1909-1910 year transitions.  I hope they break the tradition, if not we may see the results. 

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

Jeff

QuoteNAGG says "twenty ten"

There ya go, another perfect reason not to use it. They aint goona tell me how I is sposed to speak.

Mooseherder

If you NAGG me, I'll do the opposite. ;D

Banjo picker

Twenty ten....hut ....hut....sounds like something Peyton Manning would be yelling over center....I like it.... 8) 8)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Jeff

That's why they lost last week.

SwampDonkey

Hey, even "Space 19 99" the series was said that way, back in the 70's. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Banjo picker

Quote from: Jeff on January 01, 2010, 02:58:12 PM
That's why they lost last week.

I was thinking it might have something to do with not playing the second half... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

IMERC

some unlikely headlines from the upcoming year....

http://www.moonbattery.com/

Thank You Sponsors!