iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tachometer help

Started by woodmills1, December 28, 2009, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

OK I did the search on tachometers here and while enlightening it did not answer my question

can I buy one tachometer that will check my 2 cyl gas and my 4 cyl cat for both idle and high revs without being so close to the blades I don't wanna be there?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Captain

You would need a piezo electric transducer to apply to an injection line on the diesel.  They're available.

Captain

Warbird

That sounds like something out of Star Trek.  Do you have to put it inline with the antimatter injectors?  ;D

easymoney

if you just want to make a spot check you can get a hand held tach that you put a piece of tape where it is visable and turns at crankshaft speed you point it at the shaft while the motor is running and it gives you a digital readout of the engine speed.i think i bought mine from someone on ebay.

Jasperfield

Eight or ten years ago one of my flying buddies had a handheld tachometer that he pointed at my propeller and we could compare its reading with the reading of the tachs mounted on the instrument panels.

It wasn't very expensive. If you've got a two stroke engine you'd just have to do the math.

Slabs

Quote from: Jasperfield on December 28, 2009, 07:31:58 PM

If you've got a two stroke engine you'd just have to do the math.

If you have a mechanical or strobe tach it doesn't care how many strokes or cylinders the engine has.  You're just measuring shaft rpm, not counting impulses.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!