iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best all-around Chainsaw

Started by blkhillsvt, December 28, 2009, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blkhillsvt

Can anyone shed some light on who makes the "best" all around chainsaw in the market? Referring to everyday cutting of just about any size/make of tree.
JD 340D cable skidder,Stihl MS440,Stihl 046
Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves

Ianab

Expect a lot of opinions  :D

Best all round saw probably doesn't exist, it depends on what your needs are? Some folks never come across trees more than 24" dia, and a nice light 50-60cc saw will be fine.

But if you look at the top line saws from Stihl, Husky, JRed and Dolmar then you will end up with a good machine.

But my Dolmar 7900 may be overkill for many folks, yet it is not enough saw for some of the local trees.(Break out the Husky 3120)

Dealer and parts supply is also an issue, buying the best saw in the world isn't so good if you break something on it and have to wait a week for parts.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Whatever saw that will start when you need it. Second most important thing is a well trained and safe operator. Then a sharp chain is necessary. Other than that any old port in a storm and any color saw will do.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

blkhillsvt
Of course no one can....but I'd vote for the Stihl MS361.   If for no other reason than I have one.  ;D

But otherwise, just 'cause they seem to be spoken highly of here and on other places I've been.

But dealer support is top of the list for selecting a saw.

Taking good care of any saw will make most saws "good" to own. And don't loan it to anyone else to run.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

U R gonna need at least 2 no matter who, where or what ya cut.

My preference  Stihl :P  get an Ms 280 or so and a 660 and there aren't too many stems or branches you can't tackle :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

moonhill

I use a Stihl 260 and a 360.  I use the 260 far more than the 360, it is peppy and with a crisp chain cuts fast.  The 360 is much heavier and just lacks in the power department, it doesn't wind out like the 260.  It may just be the weight of the saw, I just like the lighter saw.   I use a chain saw for joinery in the shop and everything beyond.  I take both into the woods.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

thecfarm

Depends on how much you have to spend too.Some only want to spend $400,some $800.Depends on how much you will use it too.Some just cut firewood,some cut to sell logs,some do all that and cut alot of small stuff too.My saw is used alot.I run a 372xp.But the dealer is the key word here.Need a good dealer,unless you plan on working on them yourself.Just like Dodge,Ford and Chevy,just depends.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moonhill

The dealer I deal with doesn't speak kindly of the Stihl but sells them as well as Husky, but that is ok I don't take them in much.  The last time was for a leaky fuel tank that didn't have a leak, crud around the gasket, my fault.

An air hose it a wonderful tool for cleaning saws.  I have only recently had an air compressor.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Rocky_J

If you're a homeowner looking for a saw to use on one or two weekends a month, then you will probably be best suited with something middle of the road. If you're a pro making a living with your saw then you don't need to ask the question. Since I'm not familiar with most of the homeowner models from which you will likely end up picking, I'll back out until you can narrow it down a little bit.

And for the record, most everyone in the past who has shown up asking "What is the single best saw out there?" has ended up buying something cheap marketed toward bargain hunting homeowners. So forgive me if my reply seems a bit harsh.

zopi

have four...180C, 290, 192TC and MS-660 with a scorched piston...my favorite saw and the one I do 85% of my cutting with...

Drum Roll, please....

The 180...one cutting little bugger with that pico chain...

All around saw, for light use...270-280....med-heavy use....361-440..

Of course, you can't own too many chainsaws...kinda like golf clubs...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

GASoline71

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 28, 2009, 07:48:24 PM
If you're a homeowner looking for a saw to use on one or two weekends a month, then you will probably be best suited with something middle of the road. If you're a pro making a living with your saw then you don't need to ask the question. Since I'm not familiar with most of the homeowner models from which you will likely end up picking, I'll back out until you can narrow it down a little bit.

And for the record, most everyone in the past who has shown up asking "What is the single best saw out there?" has ended up buying something cheap marketed toward bargain hunting homeowners. So forgive me if my reply seems a bit harsh.

Doesn't seem harsh to me Brian... you saved me from having to type the same thing. :)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Ianab

Value for money is also part of the equation.  ;)

I have a Stihl ms310, not one of their best models, but relatively cheap and good reliability. You can stick it in the shed for 6 months, haul it out, fill up with fresh gas, sharpen the chain and it cuts perfecty OK. Thats a big plus to most part time chainsaw users. Power, weight, cutting speed are all nice, but if the saw doesn't start they are sorta irrelevant.

"Whats the best saw for YOU?" is a better question. And that depends on how much you use the saw, and what you are cutting.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rebocardo

If I could have only one saw to cut "anything" it would be a Stihl 066 or 660. Best all around saw at 3 pounds lighter is the Husky 372 for me. The most important saw I ever bought was a Poulan Wildthing 2875 with 18" bar. Because I made 160+ hour$ with it being my 1st gas saw.

timberjack240

well we have / had 268xp 359 371xp 372xp 272xp 288xp 385xp and 394xp and there s a 2100 somwhere huskies of course so we pretty well had it covered but as mentioned .. depends on what your doin . for firee wood i prefer the 359 or the 268 .. trimmin soft woods 371 272 372 288 or 385 .. for cuttin timber 385 all the way 288 if i have to and the big guys dont leave the yard .. it depends on what your doing.. i dont know what your expeieance level is .. im jsut gonna say this i wouldnt recommend a 385 husky if your gonna be cuttin fire wood on the weekends. . it was said befoer about a 361 stihl .. the guy i used work for had one .. worked good light but good power .. cut some big trees like 35 in white ash w it not my preferance for felling w but it can be done .. it depends on what your lookin to use the saw for but either way they make a saw for you .. u jsut gotta kno what your gonna need it for   
rebocardo .. where were you makin that kinda moeny i want in on that  :o  :D

Ianab

"rebocardo .. where were you makin that kinda moeny i want in on that "

Umm, wait for big storm, look for tree leaning over expensive roof, charge $500 to rig, cut and remove the thing. 3-4 hours work, everyone is happy.

Not easy, not for the faint of heart, but most important is that your saw starts and cuts, not the brand name or power/weight ratio.

Now if you are doing those jobs every day, then you can quickly pay for a MS200T that will make your life easier, and last for years.

If you need a saw today to cut a fallen tree thats sitting on your driveway, then a Wildthing may be just what you need.

Ian

Valley Mick

First off you gotta say what youre gonna be cutting.  Cedar posts, Hard wood or brush.  You need to match the saw to what you want.  I,ve got a ms170 for brush and small work. 12" logs ect...     And a 034 stihl with a 20" bar for felling bigger stuff and blocking.      The biggest and most important thing with any saw is keeping it sharp.
If it won't cut, a big saw is no good and visa versa,   I use my 170 more than any other saw I got. it will cut a 14 inch oak in no time at all.  IF IT'S SHARP!!!!!
Why do you always realize it was a bad idea after sometin's BUSTED !

cb6048

My biased opinion is anything husky pro, but I like my 576xp/24" for the big stuff and my 346xp/18" for the rest
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

bandmiller2

Kept sharp,kept clean ,good fuel mix,drained and run dry when your done,almost any saw will give good service.A good commercial saw maintained will last Joe homeowner most of his life and be a joy to use,money spent on the best is never wasted.Rather than buy a cheap box store wonder for a little jobs it would be more cost effective to rent a real saw.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timberjack240

Umm, wait for big storm, look for tree leaning over expensive roof, charge $500 to rig, cut and remove the thing. 3-4 hours work, everyone is happy....
nevermind im good .. im what you call a ground man   ;D 

SawTroll

Around here the MS361 is the best alrounder, but I use the 346xp more..... :)

It obviously depends on the wood - no easy answer!   ::)
Information collector.

windthrown

Referring to everyday cutting of just about any size/make of tree.

No saw out there fits that bill. If you are going to 'cut anything,' an 880 is too big to lug around all day and it has very high vibration. Also try using that size saw for thinning small 4-8 inch stuff. If you run an 026 or a 346, they are too small to effectively cut and buck larger trees.

In reality you are going to need at least 2 saws, for use reasons and for reliability. One for falling and bucking, and one for limbing and thinning. Personally I would rate the 361 as the best all around saw, because it is large enough to run a 25 inch bar (many here run them with 28 but the oiler needs to be modified to do that without burning the bar and chain). I have cut down many 36 inch DBH trees with them. I have limbed and thinned with a 361 all day, and it runs good for that. They are not selling them here any more though. You have to get the heavier and more expensive 362... 

Also the reliability thing, one saw is not good for taking out in the woods. Two is better. I have multiple 026 and 361 saws, as well as an 044. I take a pair of them with me, depending on the cutting I am going to do. If you only could have one saw though? I would opt for a woods ported 361. That would give you 440 power and 361 smooth and light weight. A 441 would be similar, but it has more weight and wider body. I like the 361/026 pairing for firewood and tree trimming, and the 044/361 pair fopr falling and trimming trees to about 28 inch DBH, or 044/206 pair for falling and limbing larger trees. 
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

ehp

I agree on the 2 saw dual as you just never know when you are going to get suck or break down, if I'm not in a huge hurry I like the 60cc range and use a 361 myself but the 359/357 are just as nice . if more needs to be done then 7900/372/460 as they are all good saws can cut just that much faster .

downeast

Gee, what's all this about "homeowners" not needing 'pro'gear ?
Sorry that both Gary (Gasoline) and Brian (Rocky J. ) are now "homeless"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Having been on both "sides" of the fence, pro grade tools are worth the $$$$. Then again, it's the skill, attitude, and training that makes it.  I've seen and hired "pros" not worth &%$#@ , and non-pros so highly skilled that they would put any 'pro' into the ground using a chainsaw ( or firearms, or ______ ). Watch one of the Game of Logging contests, or the other Logging games.

TessiersFarm

I agree Pro saw or nothing at all.  I personally run Stihl, I like the service at my local Dealer and thats what they sell.  I have a 180 that is awsome when I am bush hogging and working fence lines.  I love my 026 (260) and I still use it a lot but I kept going through mounts by pushing it through too big of wood too fast.  I bought a 036 and I absoloutly love it and it has never been to the shop for repairs.  I also have a 361 that I bought for my help and I like that just as well.  I bought an 045 and that is the cats meow for cutting firewood off of a pile of tree length and for bucking large trees.  I bought the 045 because I practically stole it from an old feller and I wanted to try out a larger saw, it is going to be replaced with a 460 within the next few months.  Long story longer I would not want a 460 without at least one of the smaller saws and I wouldn't want the 260 without at least one of the larger saws.  I guess that narrows it down to the 361.  My wife often asks how many chainsaws I really need, to which I reply 1 more ( I use the same line for guns). 
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

downeast

Quote from: TessiersFarm on January 02, 2010, 04:19:30 PM
I agree Pro saw or nothing at all.  I personally run Stihl, I like the service at my local Dealer and thats what they sell.  I have a 180 that is awsome when I am bush hogging and working fence lines.  I love my 026 (260) and I still use it a lot but I kept going through mounts by pushing it through too big of wood too fast.  I bought a 036 and I absoloutly love it and it has never been to the shop for repairs.  I also have a 361 that I bought for my help and I like that just as well.  I bought an 045 and that is the cats meow for cutting firewood off of a pile of tree length and for bucking large trees.  I bought the 045 because I practically stole it from an old feller and I wanted to try out a larger saw, it is going to be replaced with a 460 within the next few months.  Long story longer I would not want a 460 without at least one of the smaller saws and I wouldn't want the 260 without at least one of the larger saws.  I guess that narrows it down to the 361.  My wife often asks how many chainsaws I really need, to which I reply 1 more ( I use the same line for guns). 

I dropped into the 260 from 044 and 028 for ease of use: the weight of the saws was making me whine.  :(  Age, old stupid injuries coming home to roost. So far so good except when I could use a longer bar and not get bogged down in bigger DBH cuts. Most of my wood is in the 18"- 24" range here.
Is the 361 really that good for the extra weight and power ( and $$) over the 260 ? Like they say it will cure ingrown toenails, dandruff, etc... ?  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!