iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer 40hp Lombardini

Started by jtmccallum, December 26, 2009, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtmccallum

I have found a WM Lt40 Super with a Lombardini 40.  2000Hrs.  What should I look for when checking this mill out. What are common problems with this engine.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

zopi

Is it the one on the WM used mill site?  The concern I had with that  one was that it has the bed of the super and the head of std, with std hydraulics..I'm concerned that the head is not strong enough to take the stresses of sawing with that heavy diesel engine over time...someone on here mentioned having a similar mill, and experienced cracking in the
head masts....I could be wrong, it's just a concern I had...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jtmccallum

Not the same one.  This one has the super head.  I will contacting WM to verify this is what it has. 
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Magicman

What year model is it?  I'm running a '98 model with waaaay more hours that that, and I'm not worried in the least bit.  Service is the key.  I change the oil and filter every 125 hours.  I had the valves checked at 2680 hours and the timing belt replaced at 4150 hours.  My shop said that neither were really necessary.  The valves were not out of adj. and the timing belt looked like new.

I now have 5150 hours on this hour meter.  The original owner replaced the hour meter, so I really don't know the actual hours on this engine.

I would have no reservations on a '98 or newer mill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I may be wrong, but I think the only reason Wm replaced the Lombardinin was because of fuel rail issues. Not real common but more so tjhan they wanted to deal with as a warrenty aspect.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

MartyParsons

Hello,
These engines were before my time, like LeeB said maintenance is the key. Things I have seen and serviced.
Engine starting, bad ground at fuel filter mounting
Engine fuel timing, can be done easily if you have interest in deisel mechanics. These engines will smoke white and not run correctly if the adjustment is off
Timing belt, if the belt breaks or slips the valves hit the pistons. Most engines are toast if this happens
High pressure fuel lines are inside the engine, if they leak the fuel gets into the engine oil.
Glow plug, wires get loose at the connections, can be repaired with kit.
The more these engines are used the better they work.
Radiator mounting breaks
Engine mounts were rubber, change over to new design used on all mills. Engine looks like it is ready to fall forward it needs the solid bushings.
Hope this helps!
A 1996 LT40Super is a LT40 with a Diesel. Super mills were up graded to faster hydraulics and heavier up down and Forward feed motors in 1997/ 1998. Have not seen any structure cracks in any of these mills.
Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

amberwood

I have a 97 version of same, 40 Lombardini was serviced/valves adjusted at about 3500hrs, less than 100hrs later itr was knackered. It is critical that the valve adjustment is done correctly and TIGHTENED before use. I was able to salvage the head and valves but all of the rocker gear and assoc hardware was bent/worn out of tolerance etc. I replaced it with a non turbo 36hp NA version of the same motor, in less than one day, and had the turbo 40hp rebuilt for later use as a spare. Great engine if you look after it.
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

jtmccallum

Thanks for the input guys.  I hope to look at it this week.      John

Thank You Sponsors!