iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw box on skidder

Started by barniescamp, December 25, 2009, 10:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barniescamp

where do some of you guys keep your chainsaw on your skidder??? do you have a box for it or do you keep it in the cab?? pics if you have any please

chucker

on the 440,s it was always kept under the winch houseing on the back side of the lift arch...
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

timberjack240

on the timberjacks we keep em beside us .. on the 240 we had  a rope net thing w a board laid in there we set em infron ot the dash. on the 540 they went behind the seat. and on the 440 c they went ounder the boom between the winch. dad rigged up  a thing where they set ontop of were the batteries were.. as for the tree farmers i dotn remeber .. long before my time  ;D  jsut a tip if you have a timberjack and you put em beside ya and you decide it would be a good day to flip it.. make you get em tied down or land on em when you fly outta the seat so they dont cut ya ... luckily i landed on mine didnt cut me haha

amberwood

On the TJ205(208) the saw sits quite nicely in the cab on top of the fuel tank. Can't drive over it there.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

ljmathias

Great question but I'd appreciate suggestions for where to put one on a tractor-FEL-backhoe combination.  I use one for general purpose work almost every day on my farm- moving dirt, digging footings, mostly hauling firewood and skidding logs to the sawmill.  I've put the chainsaw on the backhoe seat so that now it's gotten soaked with chain oil so much that it's totally degraded and broken down.  Also tried putting it in the backhoe bucket.  Both places are ideal for kicking the saw off the tractor and under the wheels: ran over the same Stihl about three times before it couldn't be fixed any more; now I'm working on a Husky or two for tree bending and wheel crushing modification.  ;D ;D :D

Guess what I need is a sawblade holder just behind the main seat that I could slide the chain blade into and hold the saw upright.  I also need a tractor mod that would allow drinks and tools to sit within hand reach, always need Gatoraid and the chainsaw tool but they always fall off on the way to where I'm working; gloves and ear protection too.  Now that I'm thinking about it, what I really need is something like a car trunk, maybe under the seat or where the backhoe seat is... or somewhere I can't ram it into a branch or run over it   :-\

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bill m

I will post pictures later today of the saw and equipment holders I have on my tractor.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

timberfaller390

When I was still working for the GA. Forestry Commission my assigned dozer was an acient JD 350. The arm rest on the right side would raise up and there was a tool box there. I kept the bar and a couple of chains in there and the power head straped to the side of the arm rest. That was the safest wasy to carry a saw in the cab. You couldn't put it outside because it would get torn off. We had to put those old dozers in alot of places they never should've went and having a saw on board sometimes made the difference between getting out or being stuck while someone else brought a saw up the mountain.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bill m

What kind of skidder do you have? The JD 548G I ran had 4 pieces of 1/4 x 1 " flat stock welded to the floor in front of the seat. The saw would not slide around but if you hit a big bump it could bounce out ( never happened to me in 2 years running that machine)

Mark K

On my 225 I carry one beside me on the fuel tank and I bored a 4X4 through in 2 spots and mounted it to the back of the cage. Did the same on my tractor, mounted it right to the side of the hood. Just drop saw in slot and go.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

barniescamp

Quote from: bill m on December 27, 2009, 09:21:32 AM
What kind of skidder do you have? The JD 548G I ran had 4 pieces of 1/4 x 1 " flat stock welded to the floor in front of the seat. The saw would not slide around but if you hit a big bump it could bounce out ( never happened to me in 2 years running that machine)
[/quot I bought a 1995 John Deere 540E about a week ago, its to short to put a chainsaw in the arch area and I'm not to sure of putting it it the cab. maybe I can make a box/step to put between the tires [probably not the best place]

woodmills1

payeur's chainsaw carrier  a nice basket on the left side of the FOPS

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

redneck

in my 208 timberjack i can hold 2 saws in the cab
1 saw on the fuel tank and the other in a shelf that was made  i will post pictures tomorow
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

bill m

With the 548G there was plenty of room in the cab. The saw was never in the way of my feet. These are some pictures of what I do with my tractor.

beenthere

barniescamp
You asked about the chainsaw on the skidder, but here is how I carry mine on the tractor. Really find it handy to grab and to put back. Just some plywood slapped together to form a pocket (scabbard) and clamped to the ROPS.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

One reason I like the John Deere 440B skidders so much is as chucker said, I can keep my saw between the winch and arch. John Deere built a compartment there that will hold two saws, gas, oil, axe, wedges and a toolbox. Models built after that didn't have that compartment. I got in a heated argument with a John Deere representative at a trade show one time over this. When I asked him where do I carry a saw on the brand new 540 cable skidder he was showing me he replied "You'll have to figure that out on your own". Now if I go spend $150,000+ on a new skidder don't you think that they could have designed that into the machine? The engineers who build these machines should have to spend some time in the brush running them first.

You guys who are carrying a saw in the cab with you, I hope you're not covered by OSHA. That's a big no-no.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

timberjack240

if you take a 2 saws and put them facin each other run the bars thru the handle of the other saw on a timberjack and then in the left corner stand the saw up you can wiggle the powerhead down btxw the seat adn the cage. that serves mroe than one purpose.. one it gives you 3 saws .. and 2 your gas and oil jug wont slip out btw the seat and get smashed haha  ;D.. as for the osha thing.. im told your not to have saws gas oil and any riders on the skidder which i dont agree with b/c the skidder operator need s a saw if he get wrapped around somethin so the cutter dont have to chase after him all day ..  not to mention i gess the cutter is suppsoed to carry all that a mile back int eh woods so hes good and tired before he even starts out the day, i mean that is a great idea so much safer.. get your cutter wore down good before he starts so he get hurt.. wow great thinkin !!  ::) .. its ok if your workin 50 yds form the truck how often does that happen.. the people that come up w these genious ideas and rules never cut a tree in there life .. what are you supposed to do if you work by yourself drvie the skidder out then walk back in and get your stuff and walk back out.. ill tell ya they have some great ideas dont they. the day i do that is the day i quit then agian mebe i was taught to much old school  ;D

DanG

If the OSHA inspector is there, get him to carry your stuff in.  If he ain't there... ::) ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

timberjack240

hey thas not a bad idea.. i never thot of that.. when we get out there mebe he  cood get his book out read it and show me how to cut a tree hahahahaha  :D  i wonder what they would say if i stump jumped a hard leaner  ;D  .. i would turn and say to him that was a trick i was taught that went 4 generations deep or better. not to bad for a young kid.   ill garuantee that trick isnt in any book  :P  ;D and for good reasoning pretty dangerous rele ..
somehow i dont see anybody from osha luggin my 385 out thru the  woods  ;D     

nhlogga

Quote from: barniescamp on December 27, 2009, 02:12:54 PM
Quote from: bill m on December 27, 2009, 09:21:32 AM
[/quot I bought a 1995 John Deere 540E about a week ago, its to short to put a chainsaw in the arch area and I'm not to sure of putting it it the cab. maybe I can make a box/step to put between the tires [probably not the best place]

On the newer deere's like the 540E and newer I put the saw on the floor in front of the seat. If you have doors, you can put another saw on the left side of the seat. 
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

maple flats

On my little (20 HP 4x4 ) farm tractor I built a wooden box that rides on the hood and is held in place by a notch for the steering column and a hole where the air cleaner intake goes. I then put anything I think I'll need in the box. On my big one (25 hp 4x4) farm tractor I haven't built a box yet and for now I carry the stuff in the FEL bucket. I will take time to build a box someday, when I get fed up with the way I am doing it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

pineywoods

My skidding/loading tractor has a built-in chainsaw scabbard. The frame for the front loader is just perfect. 

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

4genlgr

some where in a gallery far far ......oh in the gallery is a pic of the box i put on my JD 990 to hold the saw, wedges, and wedge pounder. It is on the left fender which is some what of a hassle because of having to walk around (most of the time ) to get the saw. the reason it's there is that being in that position the bitey end of the saw was facing back and tuck in out of the way of any grabby brush. I used the bucket when i first got the tractor  still do on occasion  but a couple of close calls with wrecking a 600 dollar saw cured that

Valley Mick

I have tried alot of different places on my tractors.  and have bought alot of plastics.  I tacked two 4 inch x 7/16 bolts onto my drivers side loader arm and took a hard wood 4x4 and ran my saw through it on an angle. Just a slot 1/2 longer than the bar depth. ten bolted the 4x4 to the loader arm.  this way I can always see my saw. I find out of sight is out of mind until you hear the crunch. I also drilled a 3/8 hole in the wood for my wrench.  Then i never loose it.  Just be carefull it doesn't hit the ROPS or a loader arm cylander. when raising the loader.  I should post pics of an 034 av super after leaving it in the bucket and pushing up the brush pile.  It turns out they don't really take well to that!! The other advantage to this is when the slot in the 4x4 is loose from sliding the saw in and out you just cut another one and bolt it back on.
Why do you always realize it was a bad idea after sometin's BUSTED !

ljmathias

Great ideas, thanks!  If I wasn't still down with a cold, I'd be out modding my tractor right now even though it's incredibly cold at 29 F right now.  It's been a long, cold winter down here, but there's light at the end of the tunnel: days are getting longer finally and spring is just around the corner.   ::) :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

barbender

Incredibly cold :D It's -29° here as I type. Now that is incredibly cold, it's almost 60° warmer down there :)  I know what you mean though, it's all in what you're used to. There's a lot of fellas up here from down south working a big pipeline job right now, those poor boys are freezing I bet.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!