iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a birthday present

Started by D._Frederick, December 24, 2009, 02:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

Have been thinking of buying a .17 Savage rim fire. They have them on sale here for about  $200+. 

Will use it to scare geese out of the new planted wheat, will it do the job?

SPIKER

It should be able to scare em right onto the dinner table for tomorrow! ;) 8)

looking just to scare look for more noise, the .17 & .22s seems to be not all that loud...   
4-10 shotgun & toss lead there way will give them plenty of scare & if out over 50 yards not hurt em if shot into the group even...   they will fly off watch for em to go in straight line :)

use some rabbit shot to scare them off that way but costs per round will  be more.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

D._Frederick

What I am looking for is the noise from the bullet breaking the sound barrier to scare the greese when they are over 200-300 yards way.  The .17 is rated at about 2200+ft./second and the sound barrier is 1100ft/sec.

Also any input about the quality of rifles made by Savage Arms?

DanG

Can't really say about the current quality of Savage, but my old model 99 from back in the '50s is a very fine weapon. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

You could get yourself a border collie instead. :)  They love to chase off geese and thegeese learn to not return
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

motohed

I have read some articles about the savage center fire rifles with the accutrigger ,I would assume if the rimfire also had it it would be a nice little rifle . I have several older savage firearms that have served me well . I would do a model search and see if anyone has posted any comments .

isawlogs

Dang , does it have the rotory clip or detachable clip .. I once had a 308 with detachable , it walked away ..  :-\ >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

Quote from: DanG on December 24, 2009, 05:09:13 PM
Can't really say about the current quality of Savage, but my old model 99 from back in the '50s is a very fine weapon. :)

Dang it Dan, how old are you?  :D
JUst funnin' you my man
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

I'm a heap older than you, Lee, but I only had this one since '80 or so.  It has the rotary magazine, Marcel. ;D  It is a .308 also.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ErikC

A .300 savage is what I have used in the model 99. I wish I had kept it, they are a fine rifle. I think the quality is actually improving in the new models, a nice change in the way companies do business...
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

I've got a Savage .17, I think it is a model 93, maybe. It was a Walmart special, light barrel, plastic stock, $140 bucks. Shoots very well, and seems to function just fine. They do offer heavier barreled models with their nice trigger. That's probably what I'd get the second time around. When you shoot a crow at 100 yards, there is nothing left but the shadow.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BcWoodWorks

I can't remember for the life of me...if .308 is Civilian speak for 5.56mm, or 7.62mm. If it's the 7.62x39mm round...You could scare the pants of R. Lee Ermey with that bad boy.

The fact of the matter is, if you're trying to scare something...You want more bang. The 5.56mm round is a high pitched, ear hurting type of bang. I had a .303british 1940's Lee Enfield rifle; and that bad boy could echo for miles if the clouds were low enough. I also had a fairly new Century Arms WASR-10 (Semi-auto AK-47 clone) that was fairly loud.

I'd carry a .45 in an OWB holster; if that doesn't scare the DanG things...Nothing will.

Rock Island armories makes a nice 1911....That's a nice present if I ever saw one.

Happy Holidays dude.
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

DanG

The .308 is the same as the 7.62 NATO round.  The 5.56mm is equivalent to the .223. 

I think what D. is looking for is the "sonic boom" of a faster than sound round.  The 5.56 would deliver that, but I don't know where you'd get one for $200.  I also ain't sure it will deliver the desired effect, but who am I to discourage a guy from buying a .17? ;D 8) 8)

Banjo picker

Quote from: Jeff on December 24, 2009, 05:25:17 PM
You could get yourself a border collie instead. :)  They love to chase off geese and thegeese learn to not return

I would stick to the rifle....when its not got a job it will stand quietly in the corner....that collie needs a job about 22 hours a day.... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

isawlogs

Those birds make good sausages too ... Stick with eh gun but dont worry about the sonic boom , put um in the freezer .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

I just got to wondering about something. ???  Ain't the .17 faster than that?  Maybe not, being a rimfire, but 2200 doesn't seem all that quick.  The .308 and 30.06 are over 3 grand and the .223/5.56 is over four.  I was just thinking the .17 was blazing fast.  Maybe not. ??? ::)

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WH_Conley

Don't worry about speed. Do what Marcel says, make sausages out of them. What are left will get the idea. ;D
Bill

DanG

OK.  I ain't really up on all this stuff.  I guess I was thinking of something else.  The one they call "Bee".  Isn't that the really haulin' butt one?  Like over 5000fps?  What is that? .18? .21? ??? :P

Dave Shepard

There is a .218 Bee, but I don't think it is over about 4,000fps. (wiki says around 3,000, give or take)

BcWoodWorks

The 5.56mm round used by the M-16A4/M4 Carbine (Military and LEO only) and the AR-15 (semi-auto Civilian round ((which will set you back at least $1200)) shoot at 3200fps, give or take a hundred I'd say.

The smaller the round, the fast it goes, then you add the grain load to that; and you can figure out what's what. I used 174 grain .303 british Soft point hunting rounds; those bad boys would scare the stuff out of anything within a mile.   ;D

I remember my first gun, it was a tube fed .22cal rifle; that had a scope which moved about an inch per shooting session, depending on how it felt that day.  :D Never used ear plugs, never loud enough...Granted I was a kid with something to prove.

Another thing to consider is, the smaller the object being projected the less air it moves, thus the less sound it will make, sonic "Crack" wise. Sub-sonic rounds are pretty dope.
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

trapper

I like my savage in .17  it has acutrigger wood stock and is a left haded action  it is clip fed. when i thin out my cats the dont move.  the bullet dosent go through them.  the woodchuck never moved either.  only thing i do not like is the clip protruding from the bottom of the stock.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DanG

WELLL??  ???

It's yer Birthday, Old Man.  Wha'd ya git? ;D

Happy Birthday, D.!

SPIKER

Quote from: DanG on December 27, 2009, 04:32:23 PM
WELLL??  ???

It's yer Birthday, Old Man.  Wha'd ya git? ;D

Happy Birthday, D.!
I bet he got OLDER :D :o eh eh :)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

jdtuttle

Nothin to do with guns but it may be a solution. Last year while golfing I noticed several coyote decoys by some greens. I asked the grounds keeper what they were for & he said they were part of a "goose grease reduction plan" :D. The decoys were very realistic & it kept the geese away.
jim
Have a great day

IMERC

Quote from: DanG on December 24, 2009, 05:09:13 PM

I have the 99C .243 from that era....
fine fire arm...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

IMERC

WildDog

When you scare em, could you let an an extra round off and make it a real big scare to send em down this way, my wifes on my back to get a pair of geese for the water hole at the house.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

D._Frederick

JD-

We have been using the cut-out coyote for a number of years, they do help, but you have to move them every few days or they are not effective.

zopi

Mossberg makes a nice 3.5" magnum 12 gauge that will take care of them...and Viking makes a nice oven that will roast 'em...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!