iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

262xp Scored Piston and Cylinder

Started by ickirby, December 23, 2009, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ickirby

OK my saw was having trouble (would start and run under power and run on high idle but would die as soon as you took it off high idle).  I took it in to the dealer and he thought it was the carb; swapped the carb and then couldn't even get it to fire again, let alone start.  Further inspection found 90psi compression and...

He called me and told me he had a camera, looked into the cylinder and saw that it was scored and the piston is shot.

He quoted me $462 for parts, I have been doing some looking around and I have a couple questions. 

First off, what is it going to need besides a cylinder and piston assembly?

Also what is the difference between OEM Cylinder Kit from Baileys and the Aftermarket Cylinder Kit from Baileys?  There has to be something that makes the OEM $250 more.

Are these the right kits for my 262xp they only say for the 262 (no xp)?

I sure hope this is not the end for my much loved 262xp but if it is going to be $550 + to get it back up and running I'll be asking some more questions about new saws.

Thanks

Rocky_J

The $99 kit from Bailey's is aftermarket Chinese parts and the expensive parts are OEM.
The aftermarket kits are ok but sometimes need some cleaning up (filing) of the occasional rough spot or for clearance.

Parts suppliers don't always include the 'xp' on the part description, it doesn't matter.

Cut4fun

I've seen new OEM lately, but aftermarket for that saw $99 sounds good if you can do it yourself and save yourself the bucks.

nmurph

i would want to see the cylinder. scoring below the exhaust is not a problem. most can be cleaned sufficiently to re-use. a meteor piston and rings can be had for $35USD.

ickirby

Quote from: nmurph on December 23, 2009, 10:19:31 PM
i would want to see the cylinder. scoring below the exhaust is not a problem. most can be cleaned sufficiently to re-use. a meteor piston and rings can be had for $35USD.

I would also like to see it.  I hope he can at least show it to me on his "scope".

Quote from: Cut4fun on December 23, 2009, 09:57:55 PM
I've seen new OEM lately, but aftermarket for that saw $99 sounds good if you can do it yourself and save yourself the bucks.

If it means scrapping the saw or doing it myself I'll try it for $99.  What have I got to lose.

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 23, 2009, 09:27:53 PM
The $99 kit from Bailey's is aftermarket Chinese parts and the expensive parts are OEM.
The aftermarket kits are ok but sometimes need some cleaning up (filing) of the occasional rough spot or for clearance.

Parts suppliers don't always include the 'xp' on the part description, it doesn't matter.

If a little filing is all that I probably will have to worry about I'll likely cheap out giving this 14 year old saw a second wind.  Also I'm glad that that is the right part although I would have thought that the xp saws would have had different pistons as part of their upgrades.

I guess that's why I cut down trees and save the small engine work to the people who do that best.

sd locke

look at your cyl . if there is no deep scratches in it . use miratic acid to clean it up be carefull not to get on u or good parts use qtips to apply gently . then hone cly install new piston

motohed

I would replace the crank seals and bearings , air leaks are common in saws as old as the 262xp . I would also replace the block between the carb and cylinder . IMHO the saw is worth fixing with the husky OEM parts . I think this was by far one of the best saws husky ever made except for the 372xp .  If you decide not to fix it , pm me with pictures and maybe I will buy it .

Rocky_J

If it looks like the saw ate the piston, Easy Off oven cleaner will remove the aluminum deposits on the jug.

Cut4fun

Like new looking 262xp around here bring $200-$250 in running great condition.

motohed

Quote from: Cut4fun on December 24, 2009, 02:57:43 PM
Really ,  where are you from , you can PM me if you wish . I wouldn't mind finding a couple of nice used 262xp's .

Cut4fun

Ohio-  The last one was $225, I told my buddy if you dont buy it I will, even though I didnt need it. Thank goodness he bought it.
There is some right now for $275 and $295 I dont even go look at them that high. Guess I'm spoiled.

Cut4fun

Quote from: motohed on December 25, 2009, 04:48:54 PM
Quote from: Cut4fun on December 24, 2009, 02:57:43 PM
Really ,  where are you from , you can PM me if you wish . I wouldn't mind finding a couple of nice used 262xp's .

Pay all my cost and I just might do the running and footwork to get them in the mail. I wont even go look at them above $250. 3 in area above that now.

up to 3 now with in 20mins, 50min, 35min drives 1 way.  2 at $275 1 at $295

Thank You Sponsors!