iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Full face shield

Started by Warbird, December 23, 2009, 04:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

I am making some wood swords for my 2 nephews and a family friend.  Haven't used the bandsaw in a while.  Pulled it out of the corner it was in and found someone had placed a bottle on the table and it had rusted.  There were also other rust spots all over the surface.   >:(

So I grabbed my angle grinder and installed a wire brush wheel on it.  I put on my full face shield and am very thankful I did.  As I was going to town polishing up the tabletop, one of the 'needles' on the wire brush flew off and struck the face shield.  Hard.  It then went whizzing off into the shop somewhere.  That thing had enough velocity that if I hadn't been wearing that shield...  well, it could have really hurt me bad.  Loss of an eye, a new piercing in my lip and cheek, etc.  I shudder to think about it.

Anyway guys, be sure and use your safety gear.

moonhill

I have done a fair bit of wire brushing, I find the cheaper brushes through more wire.  I would pick them out of my pants and shirt the rest of the day, and yes a full face shield.  I find the full face shields much more comfortable to use. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

LeeB

It's sad how many of us wear our PPE religiously while at work and neglect to do so at home. Thanks for reminding me I need a new shield.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

rebocardo

I like to wear a heavy long coat too so I do not have to pick them out of my chest or other places.   :o

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ithink its amust using those things  ;) I use my leather sawyers aprin and the mask  for the reasons everyone has stated  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

timberfaller390

I had a friend who worked in a machine shop nearly lose an eye while using an angle grinder. He was wearing safety glasses but a metal shard some how bounced of something else went under his glasses and stuck in his eye. A full face shield is the only way to go.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!