iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little bitty truck problem

Started by DanG, December 23, 2009, 02:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

As much of a Dodge nut as I am, I will readily admit that the gassers don't do well on fuel. A small block Chevy will probably do the best in the mileage wars. However, if it's any consolation, the 318 and 360 engines do last a very long time. Even longer, than that, if you change the oil every few years. ;) :D

Ironwood, that FL-80 is a heavy single axle, correct? I know of a few people running that engine in that class truck, and they are happy with them. Typically, they are, in my opinion, somewhat down-rated from what they could be run at safely. Do not compare HP and torque ratings to that of the pickups, a 215 HP motor in a Freightshaker will have a much higher torque than a 215 in a pickup. They are also easy to uprate, especially the 12 valvers. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Thanks, yes it is a heavy single axle. The frame is massive. I looked at some Ford/ GMC's and the frame on the Frieghtliner is, well gonna last my lifetime, most likely outlast the truck. It is a 24 valve I believe. I looked at some FL-70's but they rode rough compared to the FC-80's, and since I really wanted a cab forward anyhow, well there you go. Also the ones offered, the FC had cruise, and A/C, the FL's did not. I will be making some longer trips into larger cities, hence the A/C would be nice for road comfort (at 60mph) and while in stop and go. The one FC was the only one w/ a 5 trans- 2 speed rear (and the right wheelbase), so I am waiting for them to get the title. The tranny will not go into reverse, but the price is right. They also have idle controls to the rear and PTO output shafts for powering a "hanging" hydraulic pump. 33,000 gvw and air brakes.

Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

H60 Hawk Pilot

Well DanG

From what I read here and general knowledge to boot.. 12 to 14 MPG is about right. The 360 is what it is... gas milege wise.

I have a 1991 Chev., 3/4 ton with  a 305 or 307? V-8. It has a 5 speed overdrive and get's 20 to 22 MPG. I have slightly bigger size tire's on it then stock tires and have towed with it and still get's good gas mileage.

You have firmed up the tires and the engine runs Ok. I have changed the plugs to multi electrode type plugs and have got 1 to 3 mpg on other engines. Cooler air supply is important too, always looking for cool dry air to enter the engine. Sometimes, getting a air box from another truck model year will work better. Taller tires is good is good too, in the tire business this is plus 1 size. Go to you truck manual and check the tire size listed. I have gone up one size over the largest size listed and worked well (looking for best gas miles) for me.

If the tire pressure is 32, I go 34 or 36 PSI. I watch the tire wear and look for uneven wear but never a problem at 34 or 36 PSI. Hard compounds are best for roll resistance on the highway, these are usually 60K tires and up on ratings. Drive habits are important and you live on the flats down your way.

Here in PA, I play a game when I have time and do the coast game when traffic situations permit (local roads). I will kick it out of gear and coast up the other side untill I get to 45 MPH. The I sneeking the gas and clutch in to match my present speed. If I have traffic around me, I don't play the game at their expense.  When I  use the engine again, I give it enough gas to maintain 50 or 55 MPH up the hill or mountain.

Going down the hill I may give it some extar gas at the bottom to increase speed up the other side because it is a better trade off for forward momentiem (energy trade off). It's just a game for me but interesting and better than just setting the cruise, I can always beat the cruise deal with throotle mgt.   and coasting .
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

DanG

Most of those things are covered, Hawk.  I have a pretty light foot, and use the "coast" method a lot.  I have gotten lazy enough to use cruise quite a bit though.  The tires are already oversize, as they are 265/75/r16 brand new Bridgestones.  I won't be tossing them on the heap anytime soon. :D :D  They're rated for up to 50 lbs, so I ran them from 28 up to 45.  I picked up a new air filter while Christmas shopping, but haven't put it in yet.  I filled up again yesterday and jotted the numbers down but left it in the truck and haven't figgered it up.  Looks like I might have done a little bit better this time though.  The numbers could be a tiny bit skewed with the bigger tires.  I'll have to check the odometer accuracy next time I'm on an Interstate for over 100 miles.  Don't know what size tires the odometer was calibrated for.  225/16 maybe? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

H60 Hawk Pilot

Well DanG

That's about all the tricks I know regarding fuel economy. It is what it is 360 gas with appetite for the gas juice.

If you wanted to tinker, I'd do so some search engines on the interenet i.e " improve gas mileage 360 gas engine " or ther different combo's. One might come up with diiferent injection mods. or higher voltage spark system.

However, you might be doomed (14 or so) and what it is .. just that.  I'm looking for a 80 something VW Diesel Pick Up from down south (want a good rust free body). I had a VW pick up when they were around in the 80's. I still have (2) VW diesel cars, not good for towing but great for getting around and long range trips (avr. 48 MPG).

That's all I know for today.. don't for forget.. if it was a Huey.. you could beep it down to 6,050 RPM from the normal cruise RPM of 6600,  that would save on fuel.. just a little joke-ee for you.

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Ironwood

Hawk,

Unless you are at high altitude, Right?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DanG

Don't remember ever beeping down below about 6200 in a slick.  The Gunnies had to do it a lot because they started out with light fuel anyway. ::)

The Dodge is what it is, like you say.  I'm not one to wring my hands over it a lot, but we'll use the minivan a lot.  At least Linda won't be hauling hay in it anymore. ::) :D  I doubt if I'll ever get all the grass out of that thing. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

H60 Hawk Pilot

The beep down feature was a spec. that the Army included in the spec.'s way back when. I used this beep down feature a few times when I was really low on fuel. I had the fuel pressure gauge start to hunt around, yes the 20 minute light was on for about 15 minutes.  I had (seriously) wounded on board and was figuring and refiguring my fuel every couple minutes. I was so close to being out of fuel.. I had to hover to the corner of the med. pad and shut down.. no fuel to re-position. Can you figure the result of running out of fuel the wounded folks on board (pilot error). 

Forgot to mention >> In a Huey, I beeped it to 6,050 to keep the rotor horn & light off. This all came on at 5,990 or so and the box RPM setting was not that accurate either. Yes, the continous range was 6,200 to 6,600. I used 6,050 to get all I could get (fuel saving) and established a slight gulide angle to go with the decent to save more on fuel. When you got close to the ground..beep back up yo 64 or so.

The Black hawk has beep down ( 96 to 101% range) also and it is not used unless your doing vibration & rotor work on the hawk.

Avery

submarinesailor

What is "Beep Down"?  Is it turbine or rotor RPM?

Bruce

H60 Hawk Pilot

Beep down is on the fuel control on the Lycoming Turbine (turboshaft) engine.  This engine was the 11B or 13B at the time we were flying it in the 1970's in Vietnam.

This Engine was rated at 1,300 (11B), 1,400 (13B) SHP and derated to 1,100 SHP because of the transmission limits of 1,100 SHP.

The beep down (linerator actuator to fuel contol govenor) is connected in a way to the rotor because the transmission is driven from the nose shaft coming back through the Lycoming turbine. Design RPM Rotor speed is -- 6,400 to 6,600 for (green) normal operation. 6,800 to 6,900 is (yellow range) precautionary RPM. Overspeed (red above 6,900 RPM)  is not a good thing in any helicopter and bad things happen.. sling rotor blades.. death & destruction. Maybe I told you too much but I had the time & my dime.

My Dad was Diesel Sub Man in WW2. I think he was on a couple subs and served in the North Atlantic & Pacfic too. He dived (hard hat diver) on one of the subs that was sunk, the German U23_ ? and had some things (german wall cork, etc.) in his old trunk in the attic. He had his wool (very heavy duty) watch jacket and other clothes in sea chest. I read his Navy Blue Jacket's manual too... great book.

He (Jack Baker) passed away this month,  I was going to have a military funeral but my Mother could not find his Navy Papers (dementia). He also starved to death in his own home with Hospice Nursing care checking him every other day. Sorry about the last sentence getting in there... No.. I'm not sorry about what I said.. I have more. Jack and other seniors..  deserved better... a hell of a lot better.

The ICU doctors asked me why he was with hospice. I told them that a Hospice agent stuck her head in the door while he was hospital, about 4 years ago. She said, can I have a few minutes of your time to explain our program. He thought it was Ok, he had prostrate cancer at the time but  it went into submission .. seven months later.  They asked him if he had pain and he said.. ya.. some. He got lot's of help there too and was out of it for two days at a time. He never walked again because he was laid out for several months.. over druged.

The doctor's said that my dad had nothing wrong (good heart and organs) with him.. other than Acute Servere Malnutrion. He tried to come back but was too far down... and didn't make it.  I just wanted to pass it on to a fellow navy man.. watch your back and  / or have some one that is trustworthy to watch your back. lot's more to the story but wanted someone to get the word.. maybe it will make the difference for for you or your loved ones. I felt dumb as a box of rocks when the doctor's asked me about why he was with hospice.. I shoulder the fact that I should have been smarter and had my dad'd back a whole lot better.

Avery 

wampum

Dan,does it have a bed cover? If not remove the tailgate if you can,ma-be go to one of those web type gates or even no gate. Try a good syn oil. I run Amsoil,its pricy but I picked up about 1 1/2 MPG. Amsoil in the tranny and rear will also help. I also went with the most basic muffler I could,less restriction better milage. I never ran a chip,but several are listed on the web,here is one that costs $70.00,they say it will increase power and MPG (I do not know if it will or not);http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Dodge/. Pros and cons on a K&N type air filter but it brings up the milage.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: tyb525 on December 23, 2009, 09:02:57 PM
I have a '98 Chevy 1500 with the 302 (5.0 L) in it, and I get 15-18 mpg, and most of those miles are short-distance, about 10 minutes to school and work. Highway would be even better.

You have a 305. The chevy 302 was only used in the 67-69 Z28's camaro's

Left Coast Chris

I have the 2007 318 half ton Dodge PU. What makes a big difference is the top speed you drive.  At 65 I will decrease from 17 or 18 mpg to 14 or 15 mpg.   It is tough to go 55 but it might be worth trying.  Tail wind vs. head wind matters quite a bit also.

Another issue is the gas.  When I go into Nevada I always try to go in as empty as possible so I can leave with a full tank of non-California gas.   Not sure what the difference is except some have said the Ca gas is oxygenated while Nv is not.  It makes a 1 or 2 mpg difference.   Some areas change formulation between winter and summer also.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ironmower

Well when you take an engine like the 360 gasser and de-tune it to make all these politicians happy, you're going get a boat anchor. I am a die-hard mopar man and that's how I feel. Take that same engine, get rid of all the extra crap for emissions, creature comforts and you would have an engine that would produce more power and use less fuel. I have my old 84 dodge sno commander with a mildly built 318 (9-to-1 compression, 68 340 "x" heads 484 282 purple shaft cam, 4-barrel and headers. I get 21 mpg on highway and 18 local runnin(and not to mention put it all over my buddys new GMC/with that 5.3 or 5.2??). Then this summer I bought a 91 dodge d150 long bed 2 wheel drive, with a stock 318. It gets maybe 14 mpg on highway. So, needless to say, It will get some modifications this summer. Technology is great, IF it progresses are lives, NOT regress'em.

Here's a little story from when i worked at Midas in the early 90's, when Md started their emission tests. I had bought a hand-held emissions tester from Blue-point, so I could do a pre-test, if people wanted. You would be suprised at how many newer cars wouldn't pass, I'm talkin about well dealer maintained vehicles. Everything from caddys' to vws'. If memory serves me correct; If it fails you have to do a certain dollar amount of work to it, to get it "waivered" for a year. ( you Md guys correct me, if i'm wrong) I'm not sure about nowadays. That was when, for $%@#! and giggles I tested my dads ole' hotrodded 53 dodge job-rated step side. 360, w-2 aluminum heads, tunnel ram/with 2 650 carter AFB's and 3" duals. This truck passed, no cat's either. That's when we (co-workers and I) started experimenting with some ideas, when we found that about 3-8oz bottles of dry gas to 10 gallons of gas would make anything pass. I am sure this wouldn't be a good thing to do all the time, but it works...So I guess what I'm getting at is; Why do we do all this unnessary things to our vehicles if there is NO real improvment to our resources or our climate??? Money????
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Warbird

Are you guys absolutely certain the truck computer can't be reprogrammed to take a bit of the horsepower out and improve the mileage by a few MPG?  My brother-in-law and I were doing that with his new Chevy, in 2000.  It worked and worked well. 

When he was going to street race his buddies, he'd reprogram it and let me tell you, it made a big difference.  He made no other modifications.  Just reprogrammed the thing.

DanG

Well, I already got plenty of stuff to work on, so if I hang anything on this one, it will be a "For Sale" sign.  It's becoming obvious that I coulda/shoulda shopped more wisely.  For this kind of mileage, I coulda had a 3/4 ton 4WD instead of a one-wheel drive car with no trunk lid. ::)

isawlogs

Dan , I also fell in love a few times in my life too .  ::) :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

Neice has a Durango with the 360...asked here little bit go what mileage she gets...13 if she keeps her foot out of it, but that is going downhill. :D :D

Good news is the motor is still strong after 185,000 miles, but bad news is the second tranny.  She will buy nother one as it is a great truck for hauling two horses round the country...according to her.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wampum

Dan,I just read about putting nitrogen in race cars and trucks. I guess if you put it in your tires you will get 1 to 1 1/2 MPG more. Just something to think about. here is a link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14121979

isawlogs

I heard the same about nitrogene , also they where talking about the cost of it ... seams it mighty pricy for what it gives in return , and the moment you put air in the tire to top it off at any time , ya screw up the nitrogene effect .  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Oh !! , DAnG has already told me at one point how cheap carefull he is with his money  :P  I doubt that he would spring for nitrogene.

Marcel

stonebroke

You can just pump up your tires to about eighty pounds( where I keep mine) and it will help as much as nitrogen.

Stonebroke

wampum

I keep my tires at 80 pounds but then again they are class E. If you are running tires for your half ton and they say 50 pounds,please do not go to 80 pounds. That might end up being pretty expensive. That nitrogen is a little pricy,From $2.00 to $10.00 a tire. This site is 4 years old,probably more now. I guess it has other benefits also. http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/28/Tampabay/Nitrogen_in_your_tire.shtml

DanG

Not to worry, Wampum.  I just went to 45 pounds and I ain't going any higher.  I usually run about 10% less than max on all my tires. :)

stonebroke

Sorry, I was just thinking everybody had heavy duty tires.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!