iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little bitty truck problem

Started by DanG, December 23, 2009, 02:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

We really like our new-to-us 2001 Dodge 1500, but it has one little problem.  It is suffering from a hyperactive fuel pump!  First tankful yeilded only 12.5 mpg!!

I checked the tires and firmed them up some, so that might get me to 13, and I'm gonna pick up a new air filter today, for whatever that's worth.  What I'm thinkin' though is there might be some extra stuff on there that could be removed.  Ya see, this is a California truck, so it has some extra plumbing.  Anybody familiar with this stuff?  BTW, it has the 360 gas burner in it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

Not too familiar with the newer ones, but the older 360 was harder on gas than the 318, pretty much same block with different heads. My BIL had a truck about the model of yours model with 318 and got 15-16 mpg.
Bill

Magicman

Quote from: DanG on December 23, 2009, 02:08:47 PM
so that might get me to 13 

Well DanG......that's 13 goin' and 13 comin'.....= 26...... :D :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Reddog

I have a 2002 ram1500 4x4 with the 360 and auto overdrive tranny, and 10-14 hwy mpg is a good day with it. Push it hard and single digits aren't out of the question.
2001 would have the same emission system for all 50 states.

Jeff

I guess I have nothing constructive to say, so I probably should just say nothing, but for what its worth, I have two different nephews and a couple other friends that bought dodge trucks and all complain about the horrible fuel millage. I think its the nature of the beast.  We see a lot of used ones up here in the automobile state setting for sale for extended periods of time even thought they are always priced quite a bit less  then their Chevy and Ford counter parts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

i had an 05 dodge 1500 and wished it would get that pulling my boats. all i got towing was 8 or 9 mph. empty it was maybe as good as yours. it had that engine that was the high output somethin somethin. not the hemi. it was smaller.

moosehunter

Dodge trucks (gas engine) get poor mpg. End of story. You can try all sorts of tricks to get more but it won't work! Except the shoe leather trick, you know the one, put your wife in the drivers seat while you push it!!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

CLL

had a dodge with 360 and the best it ever done was12-14mph
Too much work-not enough pay.

Ironwood

My Ford 2000 F-150 ext cab 4x4 w/ a 5.4 gets 13-15 when I run it reasonably. I would not expect too much more than your getting.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

Dan, is it a gas or a diesel?  If I were you, I'd call the dealer and a couple of auto shops and see if any of them would be willing to reprogram the rig for you.  It might be possible to tone down the horsepower a bit and see a good return on mileage.  Good luck!

*edit*  Just read moosehunter's post.  Maybe it isn't possible.

hokie97

I have a 95 with a 318 in it, and it always seems to get around 15mpg while NOT towing.  I dont think you would see that much better with any other make, but I could be wrong. On the up side it has 189k on it, and just about nothing has needed replacing.  Even the original clutch is in it, and it works on the farm now.

LeeB

My 360's have always gotten 18-21MPG highway. They're diesels though.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

moonhill

It probably is the coooold weather.  I gets cold down there doesn't it?  See, when it's cold you tend to let it idle longer.  

I had a Ford 350, 6.0liter diesel, when I let it idle it would kick on to a high idle, I swear I could sit in the seat and watch the fuel gauge drop.  I am guessing it had something to do with emissions.  That and other issues caused me to pass it on.  It got around 17 mpg.    

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

redpowerd

Quote from: LeeB on December 23, 2009, 04:49:17 PM
My 360's have always gotten 18-21MPG highway. They're diesels though.  ;D

whats a 360 diesel?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Reddog

The 5.9 liter I-6 Cummins is the same cubic inches as the 360 v-8 gas engine.

mburrow

LeeB

What's an inch amongst friends?  :D

tyb525

I have a '98 Chevy 1500 with the 302 (5.0 L) in it, and I get 15-18 mpg, and most of those miles are short-distance, about 10 minutes to school and work. Highway would be even better.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ironwood

soooo, how is the 5.9? Looking at a FL-80 w/ one and a 5-2 manual.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Warbird

jamesamd

DanG,either lower the reduction in the finial drive,ring & pinion gears (not the best,if towing heavy loads) or increase the height of the tire's.(May lose speedometer calibration).

Then again ,Ya can dump it 8)
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

celliott

A light right foot, and coasting in neutral whenever possible can make some difference, but with v8 trucks, I believe this can make little difference.  4 cylinder cars driven this way can achieve excellent mileage.  It is a shame they dont make many half ton pickups with manual transmissions anymore, because better mileage can be obtained with a manual.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ScottAR

Get used to it is all I have to add.  Dodge 360 likes the gas. 
The end. 

Had a friend that traded a 4x4 gm with 350 to a 4x2 dodge 360
and got worse mileage.  Another friend with a ford 4x2 gets nearly
as good as my f350 with 7.3 powerstroke. 

to contrast, the newer dodge 4.7 gets quite a bit better hwy mileage.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Weekend_Sawyer

My 03 Durango with the 360 gets around 14 if I can keep my fool foot off of it. But what power! Too much fun to let the fool foot have it's way.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!