iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 plane clamp woodmizer

Started by northernss454, December 22, 2009, 11:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

Hi all,does anyone know if woodmizer would sell me a 2plane clamp? I need 3 of them for another application actually, and this would be the best setup for me.\Also does anyone hav
e a close up picture i could see,just so i can see if it will  work.Thanks

Kansas

They will sell just the clamp. We have looked into adding one on our other mill. At least that was the situation about a year ago.

Magicman

I would just give them a call:   1-800-525-8100
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Coalsmoke

What's the pricing on one of these?
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

Magicman

Larry, I see that you backed off enough that we couldn't see the "saw tooth" marks....... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

Good post, I think this would be one of the best upgrades to any mill, If anyone knows the price please post. I feel the manual piece of pipe with the flat bar welded to the top is the most useless and time consuming part on the whole mill(sorry WM) I am going to upgrade mine soon either with a wm parts or come up with my own design. I know its not going to be a bolt in kit and I know the channel with the holes in it for the manual clamp will have to go but it would be worth it, By the way I have an LT28 so I have to add a pump to go with it, not a big deal because I saw alone most of the time and the trips walk around the mill to clamp logs is well worth it. I know some others have come up with some good ideas using the log turner as a clamp I might elect to do both. If WM was santa I would ask for a 2-plane clamp for my LT28 smiley_christmas

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

Quote from: sdunston on December 23, 2009, 05:17:42 PM
Good post, I think this would be one of the best upgrades to any mill, If anyone knows the price please post. I feel the manual piece of pipe with the flat bar welded to the top is the most useless and time consuming part on the whole mill(sorry WM) I am going to upgrade mine soon either with a wm parts or come up with my own design. I know its not going to be a bolt in kit and I know the channel with the holes in it for the manual clamp will have to go but it would be worth it, By the way I have an LT28 so I have to add a pump to go with it, not a big deal because I saw alone most of the time and the trips walk around the mill to clamp logs is well worth it. I know some others have come up with some good ideas using the log clamp I might elect to do both. If WM was santa I would ask for a 2-plane clamp for my LT28 smiley_christmas

Sam

Mary and I sawed on a manual LT40 for 7 years.  She sawed quite a bit by herself.  She clamped from the "backside" most of the time.  When there was a tall log on the mill,  she would hop up on it and lay across it to do the clamping.  Just lift that clamp bar with one hand and hold it awhile.  Then you know why I don't mess with Mary.  :o

But you know what?  She still likes the manual clamp for small stuff.  It's a lot easier to get the right clamp on something.  It's too easy to crush small and soft logs with the two plane clamp.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

that little 2+ inch clip on clamp was just the ticket for much small stuff on the old 2 plane lt40 clamp
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Quote from: woodmills1 on December 23, 2009, 05:29:00 PM
that little 2+ inch clip on clamp was just the ticket for much small stuff on the old 2 plane lt40 clamp

I don't think you can call the old hydraulic clam a 2 pane clamp because it only went in and out.  The only up and down it had was the flipper plate or the little 2" adapter that always got lost. 

We never could keep the flipper trigger adjusted to work right and always manualy flipped it up and down.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

How many times did she get her fingers in between the bed rails and the clamp handle :-[
I have done this many times also when sawing small stuff or should I say 1" stuff the handle hits the bed rails and sometimes the blade guide arm hits the saftey chian unless the chain hoocked from undernieth. OK I'am I the only one who thinks the manual clamp is sub standard???
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

pineywoods

I have admired the woodmizer 2 plane clamp ever since I first laid eyes on one. Alas, they won't fit on anything older than 97, my mill is a manual 95. Sooo, I set out to build my own that would have the same functionality. What I came up with will do just about anything the 2 plane clamp does, maybe not as fast, plus it makes a pretty decent log turner. No cutting or welding on the mill, everything bolts on. Physically, it's totally different from the 2 plane,  it's buildable with a cutting torch and stick welder.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.msg573196.html#msg573196
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodmills1

for some small log jobs that 2+ ionch slip on was the nuts and i never lost it.  My 70 is way better but once in awhile it just squezzes the log out
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LeeB

Well, i was gonna look up the price for ya'll, but it seems I can't do that from here. I gotta be in the states to do it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

northernss454

Thanks all Leeb that would be great,i want to put them on my lt15, approx how many feet should the clamps be be apart. I have a 37 foot bed but the majority of the cutting is in the 16 foot section so i was thing 3 in the 16 foot section and one at back somewhere.Thanks for all the reply enjoyed them all.
I assume they will fit on a lt15, If not i am really handy with welding and modifying stuff so i am sure i could make them work.
Thanks

ronwood

northernss454

I think one 2 plane clamp would work for 20 feet. LT40HG have only one clamp. It holds anything that I have put on my mill. If you want to put it on a LT15 you will need to have the mill off the ground.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Bibbyman

I'd suggest before you put time and money into trying to adapt a WM two-plane clamp onto an LT15 that you go see one in operation.   They can exert a tremendous amount of pressure.  The LT15 frame is not designed to take this kind of load.
Sawing since '94

northernss454

Ronwood yes my mill is 12 inches off of ground,so i am good there also \bibbyman my bed extion is homemade and is made strong as a brick sh%#thouse I built it my self and used 2x6 tubing for my crossmembers not thos cheap little channel they used. Thanks guys looks like I could get away with 3 clamps now I am getting excited!!! I will call and see what they are worth.
Thanks

sparks

The twin plane clamp sells for $1598.25 plus shipping. We will sell them to anyone as long as they are not building sawmills to sell. There is no warranty or return on the parts.   
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

northernss454

Is that for a set or just one unit?
Thanks

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

bandmiller2

North 454,you built your extensions why not build your two plain clamp?Get a good look at one they just go in and out up and down.The two plain will also serve as a log turner.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

northernss454

Yes I was thinking of building my own,a bit steep in price espically for a hobby mill lt15.I just need tofind one in action. Not too many mills in my area.Not sure the exact setup more pics would be greatly appreciated.Thanks a million guys

sdunston

Quote from: sparks on December 24, 2009, 08:22:42 AM
The twin plane clamp sells for $1598.25 plus shipping. We will sell them to anyone as long as they are not building sawmills to sell. There is no warranty or return on the parts.   
Thanks Sparks for the info, Could you go into a brief on converting a manual clamp mill to a 2-plane IE:how much cutting and welding is involved?
And you all have a good christmas
Sam

Fla._Deadheader

Our mill has a homemade 2 plane clamp, using an electric motor and a hydraulic cylinder from a 6 cyl Johnson Outboard Motor. 

look in my Gallery for photos.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!