iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WackoWalnut, WackoPine, Urban logs.

Started by Ironwood, December 21, 2009, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Here is a couple of pics of latest hauls. The pine was trucked up the road 2 miles  ;D to swap for more desirable hardwood. Gosh, this truck is great for what I do. I am looking for a bigger one (33,000 gvw), but man this baby can GETTER' DONE. I am not getting rid of this one. Just time to be able to haul a little mo' w/ each pass.  The walnut crotch right behind the drivers cab is a WHOPPER. 

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

fishpharmer

Impressive.  Is that a 550 or 450?  What engine & trans?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ironwood

2000 F-550, 7.3 PSD, six speed. Was a John Deere delivery rollback until I got it. about the only thing  I have done to it, is brakes, alternator, and clutch. Great truck. I bought 'cause it had the 7.3 and if I waited I would have been seeing LOTS of 6.0's, so I bit the bullet and went for it. Man, never regret that. I'd hate to think how much total weight it has hauled in the 3-4 years I have owned it.  There is ALWAYS something "chasing" me down the road.

Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

stonebroke

Ever consider getting  gooseneck trailer to go behind it? You could really increase your payload without a bigger truck.

Stonebroke

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

I think I can pull the same GVW w/ tongue pull. Although the load will be split differently, 3 ton on the truck and whatever the trailer is rated for. I know it wont behave as well, but I frequently "split" my deliveries and dump the trailer somewhere enroute, then deliver what is on the truck. Also, there is usually a 2 ton crane at the back corner of the bed, and it is a 11' bed, sometimes I also have my tarp in place for "moisture sensetive"  ;D deliveries. I just dont use my truck that way. Gooses are OK if you have a 3/4 or 1 ton truck w/ a standard bed, but for me this unit makes the most sense.The trailer is 10,000lbs and I am building a 24,000 w/ some 17.5 tires and a 20-25' deck. It was a fifth wheel 50'er. I sold the 30' part and the axles, pierced deck (nice frame). In the pic w/ the Walnut I was coming in "light" as my trailer brakes were on the blink and I had to cross the entire state of PA. and get home before morning to watch one of our sick children (my wife took the day off the previous day, so my turn). ;) The joys!

They have REALLY been cracking down on smaller trucks so I want it too look "reasonable". Just another reason to get my class "B" CDL. They popped my buddy in a 3/4 ton w/ goose for a whole litany of violations, no log book, no triangles, no extingusiter, no med. card, no stopping for a weigh station (temporary) and list goes on and on. . He had to drop his trailer and come back for it 10 hours later (>100 miles from home w/ no log book rule). $$$$$$

Thanks though.

The lessons continue.

Ironwood  

Magicman

What was the DBH of that Walnut?  I've never seen one that large.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

The one on the truck (behind the driver) is the largest, I dont know but it is BIG. I wish they would have left the "stems" a little longer >:( I'll get a tape on it. When it hit the deck it was moving and made a pretty big BANG.  :o

Ironwood

stonebroke

So the question is, were you legal with that load?

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

I don't think a Class B is doing to do squat for you. Any combo over 26,000 with a trailer over 10,000 is a Class A. Your F550, with a 17,500 tag, and a trailer with a 10,001 tag is a Class A rig.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Dave,

Thanks, still learning the ropes.  ;) So, do I need an A for a 33,000 straight frame? Whatever it takes is what I will do. I just need to know the parameters.

I wont argue the point but here is the rub, I can pull that trailer w/ a 1/2 ton both over loaded (unsafe, and be legal) and yet empty w/ the 550 and trailer they could ticket me. Make any sense to you? We all know the answer, point is I just need to do what it take to keep me in the ball game.  ;)

Ironwood

Dave Shepard

Class A Combo over 26k, trailer over 10k
Class B Truck or combo over 26k, trailer 10k or less.
Class D Truck or combo not to exceed 26k. 12k truck plus 12k truck OK.

You can run a 33k truck with a trailer up to 10k on a Class B. It all goes by "door" tags, not actual weight. As you mentioned, they can get you with your truck and empty trailer if the tag weights are over. They can also get you the other way. A 12k truck with a 12k trailer is a Class D. Until you load the trailer to 18k. Now you are a Class A vehicle. Not only are you overloaded, but under licensed. ;)

Those specs above are the ones that I got from the Mass CDL manual, and are adapted from Federal regs. You may in fact be able to operate at different weights intrastate, but have to abide by the Federal regs interstate. Some people I have talked to in CT claim to be able to tow 18k in state on a Class D. smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

So, if I do the 33,000 gvw and a 9000 lb trailer I am good for a "B" under federal regs. ? Just trying to figure this out.
Ironwood

Dave Shepard

Shouldn't be a problem. Do you have any faith in your DMV? They should be able to answer your questions. What's it like to get a CDL in PA? Here in MA, it is so onerous that if I ever get the chance to take the test, it is going to be for the A, I'm not  brave enough to go for the B and upgrade later. :D The best bet here is to go to school. That's about $4,000 and four 40 hour weeks of training. >:(

woodmills1

Dave is right on with the fed regs

I did the A here in NH 17,500 truck with 14,000 trailer and they made me parallel park the combo

go get your A with no air and no tractor trailer, thats what I have and the loacals police are impressed, however the nazi state saftey police still check every thing and can shut you down over a light out so talk nice and use small words repeatedly.

BTW thats a lot odf pine in the last pix way over load but nice nice nice

I should send some overload pix  :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

gunman63

before u  get to carried away in A B or C, dont forget to  look up the farm part.  your under legal limits there,  have to be hauling your own stuff, no for hire,  logging is part of  the farm part,

stonebroke

Doesn't make a big difference in NYS. I can get a class C NON CDL licence for AG but the only thing I don't have to do is get a physical and keep a log book.

Stonebroke

Kansas

We tried here in Kansas to get hauling logs under agriculture. In Kansas, hauling your own logs, or even hedge posts to market, is considered non agriculture.  We went in front of a legislative committee. The feds were dead set against it. The lobbying group for truckers were against it. The bill "died" in committee.
Funny thing happened though. After we got shot down, I had a guy that hauled in some logs, that got stopped and ticketed for several violations, and was told hauling logs was a commercial venture, even if they were his own logs.
He got home, and had a phone call that told him to forget the tickets. Since then, I have had a few guys hauling logs in get stopped and ticketed for being overweight, etc, but nothing was said about needing all the other stuff. I think maybe they didn't want to see us back in front of the legislature.

Ironwood

Faith in DMV, well from the study materials I see them putting out there for the "Commercial Drivers Licsense" is any indication, NO. There has got to be some kind of GREAT DOT text out there as the Pa. manual is woefully inadequate.

Truck was not over loaded I scaled it ;). Although the standards are too low, I have since put them on my wood stretcher ;D. The trip was VERY short, like around the bend from my house.  ;)

The farm thing will not fly for me, I am driving ALL over the place with just about any imaginable item chasing me down the road. ;D
         Ironwood

ohsoloco

Ironwood

Yeah, now I just need a Norwood on steroids  :D

woodmills1

I looked up the farm thing here in NH and two points kept me from doing it.  Firewood is specifically not a farm thing and it limits my miles I can haul from my house unless I have my own animals in the truck going to a show.  So, CDL and commercial insurance.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Stephen1

Reid, are they "scrounged" or do you end up paying something for some of them.  Nice load of logs, your right the Norwood will need steroids for that walnut!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ironwood

You gotta make it taste good, otherwise they just get cut for firewood. I also hauled them about 6 hours. It was a return trip from a delivery, I would not have done it otherwise.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!