iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil mix

Started by sd locke, December 20, 2009, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd locke

i run 32:1 in my 350 and 346xp for 6 years now i have never even changed a plug still on the original plugs .the plugs are still brown in color .i use Amsoil interceptor 2cycle oil .just wondering what people like to use and mix ratio you perfer.thanks steve

Al_Smith

Run whatever mix you want .It isn't like the gov has a squad of chainsaw police ya know . ;)

sawguy21

Are you a goobermint contractor? Does the MAN own the saws? If not, what Al said.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chucker

:D  heck , i like 24:1 thats all i run in the 2 cycles... 1 quart to 5 or 6 gallons depending which can i grab and fill. keeps the minnesota state birds away in the summer as well as the saw cops..............
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Al_Smith

Quote from: sd locke on December 20, 2009, 01:01:53 PM
.just wondering what people like to use and mix ratio you perfer.thanks steve

I was just funnin with you ,don't take me too seriously most of the time .

Some poeple have very good luck at 50 to 1 ratio provided they use the right mix oil . I'm kind of old school and run 32 to 1 myself . It's just a preference .

Now you gotta kind of watch it though because a big guy from Washington state  might be along soon and start the oil wars again . 8)

zopi

I run just shy of 50:1 I mix just less than a gallon at a time so the single shot
bottles are a bit rich...all stihl saws...

yeah...guy comes looking over my shoulder at how i'm mixing might get a new flattop haircut...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

stonebroke

Why does the goverment care?

Stonebroke

arbormike

I've cut trees for the federal government for 5 years now and I can tell you they wouldn't know a mix ratio if you slapped them across the face with it.  Funny reading though! 8)

barbender

I think 50:1 is too lean for an air cooled engine, and I've had some crank bearing failures etc. when running that ratio. I always run at least 40:1 in mysaws now and err on the rich side of that. I think all the talk of carbon build up is poppycock unless you are running 12:1 and leave your saw idling on a stump all day long.
Too many irons in the fire

sd locke

has anybody tried baileys synthetic oil . is it anygood . i like amsoil but exspensive

Al_Smith

You won't carbon up an engine running heavy oil mix .I remember the days of 30WT oil being used at 16 to 1 . The saws  nor the outboards carboned up .

What they did do was smoke like they were burning soft coal or pine knots . The good thing was it kind of detered the mosquitos . Kind of rough on the saw operater though .

SwampDonkey

We use 50:1 on brush saws at much higher rpm's than chainsaws. It's also a more constant speed, although your usually depressing the trigger like a water pistol.  ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GASoline71

Quote from: barbender on December 20, 2009, 09:33:22 PM
I think 50:1 is too lean for an air cooled engine, and I've had some crank bearing failures etc. when running that ratio. I always run at least 40:1 in mysaws now and err on the rich side of that. I think all the talk of carbon build up is poppycock unless you are running 12:1 and leave your saw idling on a stump all day long.

50:1 is not "lean", it is a "rich" mixture... more fuel, less oil.  Modern 2 cycle oils mixed at 50:1 with fresh fuel is just fine.  I run Stihl Ultra @ 50:1 in all my saws... whether 40 years old or 4 months old.

It still amazes me in this day and age when people will run heavy oil mixes in OPE.  :)  But that's just me.

To the OP... you might wanna switch over to Amsoil Dominator oil... The Interceptor oil is more geared towards engines with a powervalve in them.  Like Dirt Bikes, and snowmobiles...

Or mabe even the Saber oil... which is geared towards OPE... I don't know if I would run it at 100:1

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Log Hogger

50:1 using quality two cycle oil and high octane gas.  The engineers wouldn't spec it if it wasn't optimal.  Furthermore, the chainsaw manufacturers have every incentive call for more oil in the mix, since they sell the oil.  Even if we accept that emissions regulations impose a 50:1 mix (not true, since 50:1 was adopted before the EPA started regulating chainsaw emissions), the engineers have had decades to optimize engine designs for it.

Adding more oil to the mix has a few negative effects:

-less octane, thus higher running temps. 
Using 93 octane gas, a 50:1 mix results in a final octane rating of 91.1, while a 32:1 mix results in a final rating of 90.1.  Less room for error on old gas, ethanol gas, or a saw running slightly lean due to air leaks or whatnot.

-less cooling effect.  When the air/fuel mix evaporates in the crankcase, it cools the engine, much like the evaporator works on a refrigerator.  Less fuel, less evaporation, and higher running temperatures.

I worry far more about the quality of my mix components rather than the mix ratio.  Mixing old, low octane gas and inferior two cycle oil will ruin a saw regardless of the mix ratio.

bill m

Don't use 2 cycle outboard motor oil in chainsaws. Outboard motors run a lot cooler than chainsaws and that oil cannot take the heat that chainsaws create.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SwampDonkey

That's all Irving sells. :D :D They call it 2 cycle plus. Used it for years on the farm.  ;) A buddy uses it in his brush saw all the time, for 6 months a year. I use the Husky or Stihl oil in my saw. Have used the Amzoil, but it's too expensive. Never had any trouble 100:1, but used mostly 80:1.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Log Hogger

Quote from: bill m on December 21, 2009, 06:16:26 PM
Don't use 2 cycle outboard motor oil in chainsaws. Outboard motors run a lot cooler than chainsaws and that oil cannot take the heat that chainsaws create.

Absolutely.  I started typing the same thing and then figured, nah, don't want to state the obvious.  But on further thought, it's not obvious to many people, and the marine two cycle oil doesn't state anywhere on the container that it's not fit to use in chainsaws. 

My dad burned up his 066 running marine two cycle.  I told him not to run it, he just waved his hand at me and said "this is fine".  The mark of a true idiot - one who believes he's right and good advice is stupid.  After I replaced the P&C on his saw, I threw out the marine two cycle and told my mom never to buy anything but Stihl or Husqvarna branded-oil - not that other brands are no good, but it makes it easier for her to remember.  The 066 is still milling.

WoodChucker81

3oz per gallon is 42:1.

That's what I do.  I use the Klotz R50.

windthrown

I use Elf 100% synthetic oil and super gas in my saws. I mix it about 45:1. I err on a tad more oil, as there is significant testing on air cooled motorcycles to show that a richer oil mix will improve ring sealing and result in more power, up to a point of about 32:1. I also retune my carbs to run this mix, as more oil will mean a tad leaner gas mix. I used to use 100% gasoline, but I cannot get that here any more. So I am stuck with super E-10. Supposedly that will change in 2010 and we will again be able to buy super non-ethanol gas, but no one is planning on sellnig any yet. I also use StaBil in my gas to keep it fresh, keep the octane up and to keep the ethanol in there from sucking up water or separating from the gasoline.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

Thank You Sponsors!