iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toy Band Mill Pics...

Started by Ole CB, December 20, 2009, 09:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole CB

I know compaired to what you guys run this is a TOY Mill.. But it works for us. As carpenter's my brother and I were cringing at the idea that most of the 2nd cuttings of our walnut trees were going into firewood. So.....  we bought a LumberSmith band mill.

Here are a few pics of it's first runs.

Bibbyman

Sure looks like it works!   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

loggjamm

:oDon't know 'bout the mill, (cool by the way) but is that a house door on that tractor??
lt40hd, jd compact tractor, clark forklift, vizsla dog.

shinnlinger

I like your mill, but I LOVE your tractor cab!!!!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

fishpharmer

Hey, that is awesome equipment.  That's no toy. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

There is nothing wrong with that set up as it seems to be doing exactly what you wanted it to do for you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

It has always bothered me as well to see good stuff going to waste. Unfortunately, for larger mills, it is very hard to efficiently convert short or odd shaped stuff. You, however, being the end users, can afford to recover some of it. That looks like just the ticket for that sort of undertaking. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ole CB

LOL..  That is a home made plywood door on the Tractor. The cab is made from scrap iron, scrap plywood and plexiglass. My brother used to make a living in the winters pushing snow. So we closed it in..  It looked good when we first made it, now the plexiglass is so scratched up it's hard to see out of. Keeps us warmer and that's what counts!!

woodsteach

That sure looks like it gets the job done CB.  Now that you are set up and a running I'll have to make an appointment to come and visit!!

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

zopi

Only thing that would make the tractor cab better would be an RV AC/heater on top. :D

Mother is the necessity of invention...

That little mill is pretty cool...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

customdave

Looks like thats the right machine for the smaller sawlogs to me, now I want one that fits in my garage too!, thanks for pics..

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Ole CB

Quote from: woodsteach on December 20, 2009, 10:50:44 AM
That sure looks like it gets the job done CB.  Now that you are set up and a running I'll have to make an appointment to come and visit!!

woodsteach

Gimme a call anytime.. We might get it outta the shop and down here someday.. So far I've been bringing the logs to it. It's MUCH warmer in the shop!!!

tomsteve

Quote from: loggjamm on December 20, 2009, 10:01:02 AM
:oDon't know 'bout the mill, (cool by the way) but is that a house door on that tractor??

too funny. i seem to look at everything else in the picture, too. :D   and that mill is pretty sweet. goodonya for keepin that lumber outta the woodpile.

Bibbyman

I think I'd opt for an electric motor if I was always going to use it where I could plug it in.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Keep in mind that there are reasons (other than size) that lumber products are not made from limb wood. There are lots of stresses in the wood, and sawing them will relieve many of them. Can make for some wild and squirrelly boards. Just so you don't have any surprises and wonderments.  :)

Nice set-up in the shop. Cut and stack and keep warm, all indoors.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

southpaw

Looks like it works great and very portable, right now around here indoors and warm is good.

Fla._Deadheader

What size blade are you running on that ??  Seems like small band wheels, so, I was wondering about fatigue ??  Nice set up.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawguy21

That is a neat setup but I have to wonder about running the engine inside.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Now that is a cute little rig.  Looks like just the ticket for salvaging tops and limbs that normally be wasted or used as firewood.  I'd be excited too.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

Nice job on the mill,And by the way all mills are toys if your having fun sawing when it becomes work thats when they go up forsale 8).I would put some legs underneith to save your back. One more thing, I learned one thine from this post I will never post a picture of the cab on my backhoe :D :D
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

VictorH

Hey - looks good.  Did you get the alignment worked out?  Merry Christmas

Ole CB

We are running the engine inside.. We open the garage door abt 6" and go.

The SM comes with the 5.5 honda and we'll be moving the setup to the lot where the logs are. We won't have electric power back there. I abt broke my back loading those 1st 2 logs.. Seems like they were abt 300 lbs each, very wet and snowed on. We keep on hauling smaller one's to the shop while we are trying to work the bugs out. Before we really get into it, VictorH has made me an offer I can't refuse.

As to the blades, the LS web site says, "The Lumber Smith sawmill can use a wide range of blades from a 5/8 inch wide fine tooth blade to the 1.75 wide blade with two teeth per inch. Blade length must be 93 to 93 1/2 inch blades with optimum length at 93 1/4 inches. We recommend either a bi-metal or carbon steel blade 93.5 inch by 1.25 wide with 1.3 teeth per inch with a thickness of .045 inch."

We are having a ball right now. Just spent the day tring to figure out a better way to dog the wood down.

The pulley alignment is hard to get just right, seems like there should be 2 angle braces on the engine mounting bracket. It'll take some figurin tho.. It would cover the oil fill cap!

All in all, it works well for under $2,500 delievered.

Ole CB

Quote from: customdave on December 20, 2009, 10:54:08 AM
Looks like thats the right machine for the smaller sawlogs to me, now I want one that fits in my garage too!, thanks for pics..

Dave

Dave, I told my brother what you said here abt getting a mill that fits in yer garage..  He said, "If the price was right we'd just build you a bigger garage!!"

Ianab

QuoteWe are running the engine inside.. We open the garage door abt 6" and go.

Watch that Carbom Monoxide, it will sneak up on you.

They opened a new supermarket here and were using a gas forklift to move stock into the coolroom. Not enough ventilation and 6 people ended up in hospital, lucky no one died.

Nasty stuff.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks for the blade info.   8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!