iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Do Y'all Think

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 28, 2003, 09:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

My Daughters are playing with my wood pile. This is what they came up with, so far. All comments and suggestions are appreciated, along with, how would y'all price it???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

They've got a good eye.  I would start at $35 and go up based on ornateness and special features in slice of wood.  Most bowl turners start at $35 and this could be considered to be in the same genre'.    An occasional $15 or $20  slipped in will let you know what the market is.

A certificate that claims the wood to be old andhave come from the river would help its stature..

Fla._Deadheader

Ed sells just the wood rings for $40.00.??? 8) :o :o :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Then you need to get Ed to sell the artwork :D :D  Maybe Ed missed his calling.

Craft shows display high priced bowls and hangings but don't sell many.  The clientèle at a flea market is not "high dollar" either.  I can see where you might get more for them if you find the clientèle but wouldn't expect them to just be roaming the streets.

Stephen_Wiley

Make 10 or so with different features..............

Begin a web page and price them from a range of $45 to $120 +, depending upon size.  

If you wish to take a risk and attract the commercial market (banks, government buildings, technology office complexs, state forestry) invest in a catalog. To be mailed to these organizations.

Then charge per se:  24" round  $75,  36" $120, 48" $450,

Marketing is the key to making the dollars. Presentation by catalog or web page will bring the right client to you !

Have fun, let us know how you do.

;)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Tom

:D :D  There's that word again, Deadheader. :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Uhhh  YUP  :D :D :D

Great ideas, Stephen_Wiley, Thanks

We had planned on Routering a depression on the back side and inserting a picture or a mirror. It looks slick with a mirror. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

Fla.-,
Go to the yellow pages and look under interior decorators, your in an area were there are big buck mansions (carriage trade ) homes. If you can make the right contacts, your looking at $500 or more.

ohsoloco

That's DanG pretty, Harold  :)  You can send one up my way.

Our neighbor did an artificial flower arrangement in a metal watering can my mom already had, and she charged her $22  ???

Bro. Noble

I'm always amazed at how much people will pay for some things so don't really know what a decent price would be.  I'd sure like to have one.  Knowing where it came from would make it worth more to me (and in this case knowing who it came from).
milking and logging and sawing and milking

biziedizie

$200.00 to $400.00 is what I'd be asking for those, consign it in a artsy store and see what happens.

Steve

Frank_Pender

Steve, why don't you come up here to Dallas and take over the marketing of my products. ;D  You could get a great deal healthier in your pockets, I am sure.  ::) I have dozens of objects like those around here, just about for the takeing. 8)

One thing that I have had people do is place one or two of those small fake parakeets inside those sorts of slices with a small birdhouse in the background.   Yes, the mirror is a terrific idea and works well as just a mirror.
Frank Pender

shopteacher

Man, give the girls an A+++++++. That is a beautiful piece. Very well composed.
  I'd get Biz to sell them for me, at his rate you could retire soon. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Frank, they went to get supplies and the birds were sold out :o ;D :D :D
  We are gonna check around. We have about 12 more of these, and about 6' of the log left, and another, larger one, soaking in the river. THEN, there is the 5 footer that Ed wants to go get ::) ::)
  We MAY end up cheek deep in holes ::). NO, they won't work in the outhouse ::) ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anyone have any ideas on how to rabbet out a ½" space on the back, for the glass, without chipping the end grain out of the edge of the hole???  I was thinkin a slitting saw blade, on a mandrel, to score the end grain, then run a 1" side cutter, giving me the ½" rabbet???
   First, it is ridiculed;

jimbo

how about one of those 3in cutoff wheeks on a diegrinder

Jim_Rogers

Too risky to try to insert the mirror, just add it onto the back. It's not that thick and it should hang or stand ok. Just an idea.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

biziedizie

Frank send your stuff my way and I will make you a rich man ;)
  This historic town of Ft. Langley is I think the birth place of B.C or something like that or was it where the first still blew up??? Anyways it's historic for some reason and if ya don't get to the lumber store bright and early ya gotta contend with flipping tourists everywhere ;D
  Anyways most of the local artist spend more time at the bar then they do at their easels :D They tip back a few, grab a brush and dab a few colors, call it art and make enough selling that piece of crap to keep them in liquor for the rest of the month :D
 I sell these driftwood art things in town that take me all but a few mins and a bit of hotglue and they sell cause I'm local and I sign them with my real name that I was given at birth ;D
  I'm amazed what people will buy but hey it pays the bills.

Steve

Frank_Pender

I simple made a jig for the first mirror insert.  thast became to much trouble. I simply free handed the others with a router.  Make sure you have the mirror glass before you start cutting out the inset pattern for the mirror. 8)
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Frank,

Want to show and tell, exchange ideas?

I am not to far away,  in Silverton...........

Would love to see your place!

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

D._Frederick

Fla.-,
I think that your idea to use a splitting saw is the best to prevent damaging the edge. I would mount the router to a frame that is long enough to provide support on both edges. To prevent tear-out, you should route backwards, so the saw teeth go into the wood. You should have a rub collar to control depth. The frame should have enough weight to it makes the set-up controllable. Use a splitting saw blade with a narrow kurf. You can free hand route the waste out, or chisel it out by hand. Make a pattern to cut the glass to shape. Just my thoughts, hope it works.

Gus

Fla_D
The price on one of those things would depend a whole lot on whether I was buying ??? or selling ;D
It shore is beautiful lotsa talent down there. Must be the grits
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Mark M

Hey that's nice! is that wood from a peanut tree?

Fla._Deadheader

Mark, when they logged off all the Virgin stuff down here, Them Peanut trees was the first things cut.
  How come your the only one to recognize the wood???
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

Fla._,
Whats the latest on this project? Have you sold them all or given up?

Fla._Deadheader

Hi "D". Been at camp, gettin logs all week. The wood artwork is something the Daughter is working on. She is not a go getter, so, when she decided to try this, I stayed out of her way. She has talked to a couple of places to set them out, and we just brought a bunch of Spanish Moss back from camp for her.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Ain't got no Nuker  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

What da ya do about red bugs?  You don't have a microwave? :o
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

We build 'em outside and sell 'em to the "tourista's"  ::) ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

The documentation I've found says to wash the moss.  Soap asphyxiates insects.  You can also us an insecticidal soap to make sure.  I'm sure there is a procedure rather than "just giving it a bath": :D

Fla._Deadheader

Here's a couple more "creation's". Let us know what ya think.

First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Keep her at it Harold.  It looks like she has a good eye to me.

D._Frederick

Fla._,
Your daughter made  a very nice arrangement, it has nice color. Hope that you have material so that she can produce more, should sell well with Christmas fast approaching.
How did the logging go and how is the leg doing?

Thank You Sponsors!