iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

good deal on timberjack 240

Started by ford62783, December 19, 2009, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford62783

i was approved for a 240 e today and was wondering if 645 amonth was a decent payment right now i have one of my own lots but am looking for more the total cost is 19500 and id pay it off in 36 months is this a good deal or should i hold out
timberjack 240e

donny hochstetler

seems reasonable if it"s in good cond. and you can work it, what year is it ? is it the one from Ohio ?Baker Equipment, if so I saw the machine,they  had two nice 240,s on there lot some time ago. Good luck 8)

ford62783

its from a dealer in ny its got a auto trany which is tight no slip hydrolic winch and chains all around decent tire and new brake system and cable seems like a good deal just need a lil reasurance thanks
timberjack 240e

donny hochstetler

ford62783

i beleave its a gearmatic winch the conversion was done by pros there at the dealer
timberjack 240e

timberjack240

it mite not be converted.. my papas came w a gearmatic . a lot of them had  them on .. is there 3 levers on the dash or 2 on the dash w the lever beside the seat for the winch?
what tires are on it?

tughill

I know very little about timberjacks...But....personally,  I would not go into debt, to start logging with the current state of the economy and timber prices being low.  I know several loggers who have paid off equipment who are working very little, because there's not much $$ to be made right now.  And I know many landowners who could use the $$ but are not having anything cut, because they know that when the economy gets better log prices will go up.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and if you can afford to make the payment without working the machine (it's a toy, not a tool at that point) then go ahead.  But make sure you are going into this with your eyes open.  Don't forget fuel costs, cost of hauling the machine, repairs, etc.

Good luck.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

Ron Scott

Also remember that payments still need to be paid during "spring-breakup". ;)
~Ron

Mark K

I was going to make the jump and update my skidder then I talked to my forester from boonville and he convinced me not to. He said the log markets are ok right now but the hardwood lumber price has only risen slightly since Jan. I got enough work for the next year but if prices crash, I dont want a payment. I've been siting for three weeks until last thursday when the ground froze. Real muddy up till then but I had my mill work to do so it wasnt so bad. I dont know much about allison trans. except there expensive to rebuild but it pobably keeps your rpms up and allows it to pull more? Does it have a cummins in it?
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

ford62783

it has a detroit in it markk starts real well it was 5 degrees when i test drove it and fired right up
timberjack 240e

240b

Don't forget cable, chokers, tire chains, extra filters , hoses, oil, insurance, some way to heat up the motor in the cold w/o electric power.( hot box or hoses off the truck) It all adds up. Check ALL the fulids before you run it after they deliver it.  Dealer sent me a skidder to try and they drained the rear ends and forgot to fill one back up!  Luckly, I noticed it was "warm" after a few hitches and called them right up, the lowbed wasn't even back to there shop yet.  they admitted it was in fact a mistake.( two people working on one tractor.) They ended up replacing it with a new one." I did buy it in the end though" Also on  older 230 240's the walking beam can be cracked on top of the rear pin. This is really hard to see even with all the grease and dirt washed out. I've used a piece of bent wire to feel around in there. At some point they increased the thickness of the steel to solve this.(mid 80's? ) Drive it in a tight circle and listen for clicking/rattling noise from frontend- will idicate a worn out no-spin. Also no-spin not locking back up in cold weather shows the spring is weak.
TJ's have alot of drive shafts check all u-joints and replace if at all loose. And remeber there all for sale for a reason.

Mark K

Whats it got a 453 turbo? If it is its gotta have some power and I think those were a little mollow sounding compared to the 353. Alot better on the hearing :D
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

ford62783

thanks i did run it in a circle and crawled around the machine went over it twice to double check the machine for defects and really anoyed the salesmen when i told him i wnt buy it with out a set of chockers and a spare tire and a tune up before i even signed a paper but he agreed to do all that and i told him i want a service receipt with it i have covered all the bases now just decideing weather to get that machine or not

timberjack 240e

ford62783

def a 453 turbo lol no better on the hearing though ;D
timberjack 240e

IMOWOOD

If this is the 240 at loggers equip. in Glensfalls NY you can get it cheeper than 19500.

ford62783

it is from loggers howwould i get it cheaper
timberjack 240e

IMOWOOD

Talk to Mike StMarie. . . . I looked at that machine a few months ago and 14500 was the number that was given to me by mike, but jason the other sales men told me 19500.  if i remember corectly its a consignment machine, but it is a nice lookin machine. I would go for it if i wanted another small machine but make shure you deal with mike. 

ford62783

i was talking to bill gebo it is a real good machine with an eaton auto tranny did u test it out and what did u think about it overall
timberjack 240e

IMOWOOD

Yea i dont know bill. . . .always delt with mike.  I dident run it around because i wasent that interested in it.  It looks tight and theres no major welds on it.  i think the centers were done also.  i would deffiantly consider it if i wanted a machine that size.  The only thing that would make me turn away is the jimmy diesel.  i never cared much for them i like the deutz or cummins much more, but they do pull just as good.

ford62783

thanks imwood where abouts r u located ill def ask for mike tommorrow and talk to him about it i wass told centers where done and it had a detroit and eaton tranny new cable and master cylinder and brakes so its not a bad price but ill ask about the price diffrence and see where it gets me thanks alot
timberjack 240e

ford62783

i talked to mike imo and he said that was before they put alot of work into it. i got billy to throw in a set of chokers and a spare tire on a rim so all in all im prob gonna get it next week thanks for the tip and thanks to all who helped out ill fill u in on the outcome thank you
timberjack 240e

IMOWOOD

extras are always nice. . . .one thing ive learned in buying equipment is not to be afraid of offending any one by offering lower than what they are asking. . . .this is a buisness your getting into and it can be a nasty one some times an ya can be scared to play ruff.   

now ya just gotta start getting wood.. . ..I would look for small lots (10-30mbft) that some of the bigger guys dont want, and dont be afraid of low grade wood, i would find a good buyer of log lenght and someone that likes pallet wood because from experience you will be cutting alot of that.

Im located about 1.5hr south of glensfalls

ford62783

yeah i hear u there imowood ive got a 60 acre lot of nice w pine and hardwood and a 30 acre clear cut across the road and lots my uncle has for me too cut so ive got a few headers and a few more pending i never play nice like u said it is a business and u gotta be nastier than they r or u lose but i got them to throw in the chockers a spare and a rim for nothing
timberjack 240e

Mark K

Sounds like a good deal. Why dont you bring her down to westernville and you can put it through the paces :D. Its a tough business to get into right now but I wish ya the best. I cut alot of low grade and ship it to glens falls. All my hardwood sawlogs go to Boonville and pallet to Jamesville. PM me if you need some numbers.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

ford62783

k i will do that i am greatful for all ur guys help and info gotta work hard to get ahead or at least break even thats all i ever asked for u guys r true gentle men
timberjack 240e

Thank You Sponsors!