iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An Era Ends

Started by DanG, December 19, 2009, 02:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I learned a little while ago that our old friend, Mr. Hootie has passed away.  He was 86.  It was not unexpected, as he was suffering from bone cancer, but the news is deeply saddening anyway.  He will be sorely missed.

Last I heard, a decision had not been made as to keeping the yard open or just closing it down right away.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

I'm sorry to hear that. We had a place like that here too. It was called Lin's Iron and when the owner passed away, his daughter tried to run the place but finally had to give it up. He pretty much had anything you could ever need right there.

Old Lindon McNeilus was a very unique man that was very wealthy when he passed on but had never owned a car. He walked or rode his bicycle to work every day and pretty much stayed home in his spare time.

It's sad to see those kind of guys leave us.  :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Sorry to hear that Dan  :'(  :'(  :'(

There ain't ever gonna be anybody like that ever again.

Sure would like to find out what's in summa them trailers there  ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woodmills1

I would not wish bone cancer on my worst enemy, my father died of it, 3 months from symptoms to death.............horrible horrible horrible.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

DanG,

Sorry to hear that.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

RynSmith

Sorry for the loss of your friend, DanG.

motohed

DanG
I am sorry for the loss of your friend ,all are in my prayers
  Best regard Scott

Warbird

Rest In Peace, Mr Hootie.  Just think of how blessed both of you are to have known one another.

Dave Shepard

I've always enjoyed reading your stories about Mr. Hootie. Thanks for sharing over the years. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

Sorry to hear about Mr. Hootie. :(
That place of his sure was intriguing and piqued some curiosity outta me.
I visit the website once in a while to see if that wheel loader is still there. 
I love salvage yards and would rather visit one than a regular Store. 
Hopefully someone will keep it going.
Rest in Peace Mr. Hootie.

Slabs

An institution gone by and something to mourn.  It was a pleasant experience to wander through "Hootieville".  One of those: "Gee, I could make something from that" adventures.

Rest in peace Mr. Hootie.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Radar67

I sure hate to hear this DanG. I had a really good time looking over his place. I'll keep his family in my prayers.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

bd354

I'm really,really sorry to hear that DanG. I liked to visit with him and pilfer through all the stuff he had. Don't think I've seen it all yet. As stated it truly is the end of an era. God bless Mr. Hootie. Thanks for letting us know. George

Roxie

DanG, I'm truly sorry you lost your friend.  Rest in peace Mr. Hootie. 
Say when

Chuck White

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Dan.

Our thoughts are with you, and Hooties family!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wi woodcutter

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend DanG.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

beenthere

Sorry to hear the news.
Never met the man, but through this forum, still feel like I knew him as a friend. Will miss hearing the many stories.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That is too bad.He lived a good life,doing what he wanted.That's what life is all about.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

I am sorry to hear that Dan. I hope someone keeps the yard running.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

asy

What???  No more Mr Hootie stories???   :'(

I'm really sorry for your loss DanG.

I hope someone does keep the place open.

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

old joe

DanG,
     Sorry you lost your friend, your affection for him was evident in everything you shared with us.  Maybe for him, Heaven will be a huge yard full of things only he knows the location of.  Sorry

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

DanG

To all you folks who have expressed sympathy for my loss of a dear friend, I thank you.  I do feel a sense of loss, and will certainly miss Mr. Hootie.  I will also miss being able to go up there and plunder through his stuff to find things I want or need, which I did on a regular basis.

BUT, I want you to know that I've never run across any people who were quite so comfortable with the prospective end of this life here on Earth, as were Hootie and Miz Bonnie.  Hootie was a crusty old goat.  He drank quite a bit, and loved a naughty joke as good as the next fellow, but he was deeply rooted in faith.  He had no qualms about leaving this life, and joked about it frequently.  I once caught him in the grocery store, buying some green bananas, so I went over and called his hand on it.  I guess it was partly the surprise of running into me in the store, but I thought I had killed him on the spot!  He laughed so hard I thought he would rupture something!  From then on, he would tell that story to whoever was around when I went to see him, about the time I caught him buying green bananas at such an advanced age. :D

If Hootie could file the report on his own funeral, he would say something like, "They had this big hole in the ground and they dumped my ass in it an throwed a bunch of dirt in my face, yestdy.  Oh well, so much for this.  We'll see what the next life brings."  Then he would go on up that stairway and proceed to beat St. Peter out of his seat at the Pearly Gates.

So, don't feel bad for me, and don't feel bad for Hootie.  Don't even feel bad for Miz Bonnie, as she still has a smile on her face from being married to him for 62½ years. ;)  If ya do happen to catch her in a melancholy moment, just make mention of motorcycles, and she'll brighten right up.  That dear little lady do love a bike!  I just feel bad for all of you who never got to know Mr. Hootie, aka Houston Alton Parramore.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

logwalker

I am really sorry to hear about Mr. Hootie. I was hoping to get into the yard. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

bd354

Well said DanG, thanks for posting that.

Mike_P.

Dan:  I enjoyed the eulogy that you wrote for Mr. Hootie.  It was well done and captured both he and his wife.  I really like folks like that. 

A number of years ago I met a similar "collector" here in Western Michigan.  He had everything from a French biplane to a steam powered launch to various old dozers.  Everything was scattered in the woods, but he knew where everything was.  I am sorry I never made it down your way to meet Mr. Hootie.

RIP

Thank You Sponsors!