iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any opinions on the new Norwood sawmills? (MX34 and ML26)

Started by Traditional Toolworks, December 19, 2009, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Sorry LeeB, That was a bit confusing wasn't it. :D

I wonder if Norwood has any reasons why they made the changes?

LeeB

I know what you were trying to say. I just thought I would pick a little bit.  ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Coalsmoke

Quote from: D Hagens on December 23, 2009, 07:07:00 PM

Sorry LeeB, That was a bit confusing wasn't it. :D

I wonder if Norwood has any reasons why they made the changes?

Of course they do, they want to sell more mills. If you read my take on it on page one, you'd know why I feel that a lot of these things are changes and not improvements.
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

D Hagens

es I read what you wrote Coalsmoke, I also mailed you, did you get it?

Coalsmoke

I checked my emails and spam folders, didn't see an email in there from you. What was it regarding?

sdunston

One thing about mills are they all saw, just some are a little more user friendly than others. Norwood makes a great sidding and shingle jig for less then 500 bucks and I was also interested in there edger but when I called they stoped production for a while
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

D Hagens

Quote from: Coalsmoke on December 25, 2009, 12:33:41 AM
I checked my emails and spam folders, didn't see an email in there from you. What was it regarding?

Merry X-mas Coalsmoke, Yup sometimes the e-mail thing here gets confusing or at least it does for me. :D I was asking you if there was a time that I could come see your mill. I think we live very close.

Coalsmoke

Sure, that would be fine, just don't undercut my customers on me if you set up a mill in the area:D Did you want to just see it in person or would you like to see it run?

zopi

Quote from: zopi on December 20, 2009, 09:29:24 AM
Quote from: Traditional Toolworks on December 19, 2009, 11:50:38 PM
Quote from: zopi on December 19, 2009, 11:33:10 PM
yah...semi cantilevered...ya set the clearance on the off side post at about a steenth of an inch from the bed frame...
Well, the review from sawmill and woodlot mag mentioned that the support is coming from only one side, so this seems like a play on words to me.

Let me rephrase that...the adjustment is made by aligning the blade parallel
crossways to the bed...the off leg should then be a steenth of an inch or so from the be rail...had to do this adjustment the other day for the first time in a couple years of sawing. ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

D Hagens

Quote from: Coalsmoke on December 25, 2009, 02:39:23 PM
Sure, that would be fine, just don't undercut my customers on me if you set up a mill in the area:D Did you want to just see it in person or would you like to see it run?

:) Nope! Won't do that as my long term plan is to move it to the Gulf Islands and use it to build a cabin and generate a few bucks in between building and working.

It would be great to see you with your mill and see up front and in person the things that you do and do not like about your mill.

Coalsmoke

Sure, that will be fine. We can meet any time during the day. How does something like 10 am one of these days suit you? If you send me an email, I'll send you my phone number so we can iron out the details.

losttheplot

:) Nope! Won't do that as my long term plan is to move it to the Gulf Islands and use it to build a cabin and generate a few bucks in between building and working. "

Hi,
Not sure which Island you are thinking of, I live on Mudge Island. It has about 60 full time residents, lots more on the weekends in the summer. It is 2 miles long and half a mile wide.

There are 8 small sawmills that I know of here. 2 wood misers, a NW 2000, a couple of locally made band saws, 2 Bell saws and a big swing blade.

I play around with my Alaskan when I am feeling strong, and I know of two other Alaskans.

The gulf islands are the best place I have lived, I am sure you will love it here.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

DeepWoods

Just thought I would add some information about Norwoods new mill.  I called Norwood this morning as I wanted to order 2 four foot bed extensions for my LM2000.  I inquired as to the price of the MX34 and was told that it would be $6995.00 for the 16 HP and $7595.00 for the 23 HP Briggs  I did not think to ask, but I would assume this would be for a mill with no other options such as the trailer package.  I also asked if any of the new mods would fit the LM2000 and she said some of them would, but did not give a list of which ones.  I asked her to send me more information, and was told it would be on it's way.  After getting a quote for my bed extensions I wanted to know if parts for the LM2000 would still be available in the future, and she assured me that for the foreseeable future that I would still be able to get parts that will work on the LM2000.  Was also informed that when all of the LM2000's are gone, there gone and no more will be made. 
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

ahlkey

If that is correct that would be a $1,700 (29%) increase for the 23HP Briggs?

Stephen1

I am still able to get some parts for my older Silvacraft, the original Norwood, it's whatever they have left in stock. I plan on going to my cabin next week so I think I will stop in and have a chat with the boys and girls at Norwood, check out the new mill. With any luck they will have both in the showroom.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

D Hagens

Quote from: losttheplot on December 28, 2009, 05:53:09 AM

:) Nope! Won't do that as my long term plan is to move it to the Gulf Islands and use it to build a cabin and generate a few bucks in between building and working. "

Hi,
Not sure which Island you are thinking of, I live on Mudge Island. It has about 60 full time residents, lots more on the weekends in the summer. It is 2 miles long and half a mile wide.

There are 8 small sawmills that I know of here. 2 wood misers, a NW 2000, a couple of locally made band saws, 2 Bell saws and a big swing blade.

I play around with my Alaskan when I am feeling strong, and I know of two other Alaskans.

The gulf islands are the best place I have lived, I am sure you will love it here.

I have to agree that the Gulf Islands are a great place to live. :) I will be if all works out well building on Mayne Island. It's nice but as you very well know it's the closest to Vancouver so it's a bit of a tourist island.
My heart is and always be Saturna Island as I lived there and would go back in a heart beat.
Lots of mills on the islands and I see that most of them collect dust. I see a few stationary mills, like the really old ones from back in the days that are still making dust. :)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Stephen1

i was up last week, and they were closed. i am heading for syrup season in march, so i will be stopping in for sure to chat.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!