iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New cutting board

Started by jim king, December 18, 2009, 08:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

A new cutting board for my wife.  Lots of peices.  It is small , only a foot long.

zopi

too pretty to scratch up...but wouln't let that get in the way of good food! Gotta big round of oak out back, end sealed, as soon as I can get it up on the mill I'll square it off and take the ends off, then seal the whole thing and stash back for when I get my outdoor kitchen built...it stood dead for a long time, so it's mostly dry..

What speices went into it?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

That looks great, but the wife is gonna think she's cutting bread on the quilts. ;D

Sure looks like a lot of cutting in that board.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jim king

The board has Bloodwood , Purpleheart , Yellowheart , Huayaduro , Chontaquiro , Tigre Caspi and Dalmation.

Cutting boards and rolling pins are a couple of those small easy projects that take your mind off the world in general.  With the variety of colors of wood we have here they are fun to make.

I never thought of it but it does look a bit like a quilt.  It cannot br seen in the photo but the ends have splines to assure no warping or seperating.

Brad_bb

Is there a finish on that more than mineral oil?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jim king

Brad

I wax them with bees wax and my wife puts them in the oven for a short time to get the wax into the wood.  She likes them better that way than with oil.

BcWoodWorks

That is truly one of the most beautiful cutting boards I've seen.

Good work, dude. You're a true craftsman.   ;D
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

jim king

zopi

Quote from: jim king on December 19, 2009, 08:18:52 AM
The board has Bloodwood , Purpleheart , Yellowheart , Huayaduro , Chontaquiro , Tigre Caspi and Dalmation.

Gesundheit....

That is an impressive array of wood..had to think for a minute where you were in the world...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

GF

That looks great, I wouldnt want to use something that nice.

Gary

Phorester

Very nice Jim.  Looks heavier than a normal cutting board.

How thick is it and how much does it weigh? 

metalspinner

Very pretty, Jim.

What kind of glue do you use for your woods down there?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jim king

The board is 11 1/2  x 7  x 1 1/4  and weighs almost 4 pounds.

I use whatever waterproof glue I can find in Ace Hardware in Lima.  They have a lot of imported toys for woodworkers.  Here in the jungle we only have white carpenters glue or rubber cement.  I always put a spline across the ends and some times a dowel thru the board side to side.

Here is a photo showing splines on some boards from a production run of 2000 we made a couple of years ago.  Also a photo showing some of the natural colored woods in a board.

Dodgy Loner

2000! That's a lot of cutting boards :o Beautiful, too! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

jim king

Here is a photo of part of them.  The project took three men 3 months.  The boards were about 1 1/2¨x 12¨x 18¨.   They sold for $40 each put on the ship here in town.  Each pallet weighed over a ton.

This was my prototype shop for whatever crazy project that came up.   The guy is glueing cutting boards in the photo.    You can see it was ready for an OSHA inspection.  The guys working there would not throw anything out.

redpowerd

thats a GUY? :D

nice inventory mate!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

beenthere

That "Guy" looks to be all of 10 yrs old.  ::)

But am glad he has a job to earn some money.  :)
And he learns how to work too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

He would have been about 25 at that time with two kids.  They make the majority of them here  short, with dark skin, brown eyes and black hair.

jim king

This photo is a short dark one (local)taking a photo of a tall darker one (American).  The short one was my night gaurd at the factory and the tall one was a Pulitzer Prize winning photographer here doing a story on us.

Lud

Jim, your little avatar monkeyface keeps looking out at me.......and when you post a lot....,  well ,  there's a whole whack of little monkeys looking at me. :( :( :(
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

jim king

Lud:

Her name was Doctora.   We had her for many years and she was like having a child around.
One day a freind came to the house and his little girl had chicken pox.    The Doctora being 90% human genes caught the chicken pox and having no resistance to it died.   One of those sadest of days in your life.   

She was a wholly monkey ,  in the wild can live up to 50 years.   They have the personality , emotions and actions of a person.  She fixed her face in her mirror, ate with a spoon and traveled with us .

LeeB

When I was a young boy, living in Singapore, we had a monkey. I think it was a Java monkey. The little bugger was smart as could be. He could untie knots, open hooks and pick locks. Keeping him on his leash was nearly impossible if he wanted off. As long as he was tied, he was good as gold. Let him loose and Katy bar the door. The little sucker got loose one day and did $6000 damage in the neighbors house. (1968 prices at that  :o). He loved ice cream so when the ice cream man would come by on his three wheel bike with a cart on front us kids would all ask for money and sure enough he would put his hand out too. Mom or dad would give us all some money including Bimbo (the  monkey). We would all go get our ice cream and pay the man. Bimbo always got a popsickle so he could hold by the stick and not get his little fingers cold. He also loved beer. He would drink a little and get drunk as Cooter Brown. He would carry on and have a good time till he oassed out. After about 4 hours he would wake up and put out his little hand to you. He wanted an asperin. half an asperin and he was good to go again.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Lud

Jim,
       She looks a lot cuter to me now that I know she was family.  Thanks for the explanation and sorry you lost her.

That being said.   I got some funny lookin' family but I wouldn't choose 'em for my avatar!   :D

Thank You Sponsors!