iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winter logging is about to start (I hope)

Started by Quebecnewf, December 18, 2009, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well took the snowmobile across to the mainland today by boat. We have quite a bit of snow but no ice frozen yet. Plan to go in the woods in the next few days on a scouting trip. 

Hope the sea ice bridge freezes soon so we can get started.

Hope to post a few pics before Christmas

Quebecnewf

Coon

Was just thinking bout ya earlier today and wondering if you were logging yet. Guess now I know.  ;D  I am just waiting on snow now.    ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Onthesauk

Always enjoy your pictures and descriptions of the snowmobile logging. ;)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Mooseherder

isawlogs

I also keep an eye out for you threads , hope you can get started soon .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Magicman

Talk about something that is completely different from anything that I have ever seen/known.  Bring it on..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

magicman, don't you use ice roads in your neck of the woods? They are very handy and make the cold seem much more tolerable.

Stonebroke

Magicman

Closest that I have ever been to an ice road is watching Ice Road Truckers on TV.  Skidding logs out on ice/snow must be a trip.  Here we have Mud Roads, and I was on a slick one yesterday...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

ljmathias

Sure does- ice and snow melt; mud doesn't, it just dries out and sticks to stuff.  Wife took the shortcut from over at my son's place down the pipeline that I just had a couple dump truck load's of good ole Mississippi red clay brought in to fill in ruts.  Didn't get a chance to get the gravel on it before the rains hit- you guessed it, slippery as all get out and no bottom you can reach.  So the wife get's stuck, my son "drives" her out, more or less, and after a couple of days, she starts noticing a vibration when she hits 62 mph going to town.  Keeps up for a couple days, takes it to the tire dealer and lo and behold!  Dried mud caked inside the wheel.  Maybe she'll listen next time I tell her not to drive on fresh clay after a rain or two...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Quebecnewf

Well still mild here and not any good for logging or much else to tell the truth

Started to rebuild one of my sleighs

Here are a few pics

Quebecnewf

Maybe the adm can fix this so they appear on the page I seem to have done something wrong

Sorry

Mooseherder

Kevin

I'm already out of the gate, I'll try and save you some logs. ;D

Quebecnewf

I'm sadto say that it rained all night here most of our snow is gone and we have high winds from the NE and more forcast for tomorrow. Got in a few more hours at the sled and should finish it tomorrow. As soon as the Christmas break is over I hope to get in the woods. You don't get a big day when you have to leave by boat and then transfer to the snowmobile but I might get some work done on the new log path.

Thank god for the new workshop it gives me things to do and it is nice and warm once the wood stove gets hot.

Pic of large rope we have moored to hold the ice while it freezes. Of course this only works if you have cold

Quebecnewf

Kevin

newf;
Do you plan on putting runners on those skis?
Nice job by the way.

Stephen1

Quebecnewf,   My daughter is here from Sept Iles, looking over my shoulder at your pics,  I hear you have some really warm weather up there, pretty cold here for us.
Do you know the Harding family, Carly my daughter teaches with Tanya.
merry Christmas to all
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DGK

Hello Quebec Newf,

Would really like to hear a few details on the construction of your sleds skis. I can't tell from the pics the type of wood, laminated or not, etc. Also, as mentioned above, do you put on runners? I am sure that you have made these before, what was the weak link in the sled design?
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Quebecnewf

Wood is spruce with a layer of 1/2" plywood on each side. Total thickness is 3  3/8 inches Width is 40 in outside to outside. Each sleigh is 4 1/2 ft long. We use UHMW plastic cut 5" wide for the shoes. The cross bunks are made of steel angle iron welded back to back.

I will post a pic of the completed sleigh in a day or so

Quebecnewf

Mr Mom

One quick question how do you get logs if you dont have an ice bridge??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

and if we don't get it we don't get no logs

Quebecnewf

DGK

Quote from: Quebecnewf on December 24, 2009, 01:44:24 PM
Wood is spruce with a layer of 1/2" plywood on each side. Total thickness is 3  3/8 inches Width is 40 in outside to outside. Each sleigh is 4 1/2 ft long. We use UHMW plastic cut 5" wide for the shoes. The cross bunks are made of steel angle iron welded back to back.

I will post a pic of the completed sleigh in a day or so

Quebecnewf

I am looking forward to the new sled pics.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

firefighter

Hye could you give us a tem plate of the skies would like to try and build one .I have never done this be for but would like to give it a try .Hope you get to log soon the weather here was good a week ago but it is warming up now may get up to three derees by sunday .

SwampDonkey

Been mild over Christmas here to, lower thirties in day, 25 or so at night. Rain tomorrow. Gonna stiff'n up Monday though, 0 to -3 F.

Bring on the sled logging Newf. ;D

These guys never been around sleds and toboggans. Too busy playing to learn from the old timers when growing up ya know. Ok, I'm just ribbing you guys.  I grew up around sled logging somewhat. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!