iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Petrol Power vs. electricity?

Started by mad murdock, December 18, 2009, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

doing some background info gathering for future planns to build a mill.  I have worked an older Belsaw 5ft mill that was powered by a large electric motor, worked pretty well.  What is the concensus these days, anyone using and electric powered mill? or are most of you guys using Gas or Diesel prime movers?  I am leaning towards electric power, as I am also planning on producing my own power, have a year round water flow with a 300 ft head on my place. Anyone using steam? There is an old commercial Bandmill operation in my state that still runs on steam, one of the last mills that can still mill large dia. logs.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tom

AC Electricity is being used by several on the forum.  It is a good, clean and dependable application for those who can get, and afford, enough of it.  So many are mobile, or at least transportable, that gasoline or diesel are the logical choices.

Ianab

I think what affects many peoples decision is the availabilty of an industrial sized power feed to their property.

Most domestic or farm supplies wont run a large motor, and the cost of getting larger lines run is usually prohibitive.

If you do have the power 'on tap' then electricity should be cheaper and less maintenance, but if you are going to shell out $20,000+ on new power lines, well that buys a diesel engine and a big tank of fuel.

Portability is a big issue as well.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

It all depends upon the market that you are going for.  Portable = fuel.  Stationary with never a possibility of moving = electric.

What size/HP motor are you going to need?  I suspect that a sizable water turbine genny will be 'pensive.  Of course, if you could power your home also...... ;) :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stonebroke

I think that Sawmill mag. had a story about a missouri sawyer that had a bker elec. mill and just mounted a huge generator on the back of a one ton truck. When he went out in the field he said he liked it because he could park the truck away from the mill and no exhaust and less noise . also had one motor for both the mill and edger.

Stonebroke

bandmiller2

Electric is the premium power ifen you got it, use it.Problem is you really need three phase to use the size motor you need.A good solution is a three point hitch gen.you hook to your tractor you have it for emergencys and to run the mill.If your into steam, it like electric, is good mill power they will boath handle short term overloads.Water power I know little about, their are ways to figure the volume and drop you need.If you could find a large diesel gen with a bad engine then use the generator part with your water power.Their is nothing better than honest three phase power from the grid to run mill machinery. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!