iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things have gotten soft aound here

Started by Tripp, December 18, 2009, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

I have not posted in a while so here are a few pics.

We have had a lot of rain here and it can make things interesting. I was moving and burning slabs when old Robert Feline (bob cat) tried to find a new home. My son had to pull me out with the trusty Landcruiser.  All is well and back to work.

Be careful out there.

Tripp

Chuck White

Closest I ever came to a situation like that was about 15 years ago when my brother got his D-2 Cat stuck and it was bad!
It was deep enough that the entire track on both sides were out of sight!
We used the backhoe to get it out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

stonebroke

Where did you get a green bobcat? Never saw one like that.

Stonebroke

Tripp

Bought it from Sunbelt Rentals. They paint all of their equipment green. They were updating their rental fleet and sold some of their older models.

James P.

Tripp , good to see your still at it. same kind of situation in Delaware , we've had 13 inches of rain since beginning of November. Are you sure that Bobcats don't hibernate. That would explain its motivation. ;) :D

DanG

James, we've had that much in the past two weeks!  That, and visions of a similar scene as Tripp's is what has me sitting at the computer instead of on the Yeller Cat.  It started raining again last evening and is still at it.  I don't know how much fell during the night, but the yard is a lake!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

And he keeps sending the dad-blamed stuff over here to the Atlantic coast where  it's so wet that I can't walk in the yard for sinking to my ankles.   ....and I've got swamp feet too.

Must be that global warming melting the ice caps.  I need to get my fishing dock built on the front of the house.

DanG

Not wanting to make a teller of untruths of you Tom, I have another batch ready to ship your way any ol' time now. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

I'm excited that things are finally frozen around here.  Hasn't been out of the 20's for a few days, and isn't supposed to get above freezing for a while  :)  Should be a good time to push snow this weekend.  The last storm we got nothing was frozen yet.  I had a big scoop of slop (snow, water, mud) and when I dumped it on top of some other slop it splashed up into the cab.  Won't do that again. 

Tom

Quote from: DanG on December 18, 2009, 11:56:37 AM
Not wanting to make a teller of untruths of you Tom, I have another batch ready to ship your way any ol' time now. ;D 8) 8)

God forbid that I should utter and untruth!!   The last batch you sent hasn't left yet.  :D

Bibbyman

My first thought was, "Man! Didn't you see you were getting stuck before you got in that deep?"   

But then I thought back a couple of months back when Brooke and I took the Mule down the almost dry creek to check things out.  We ran into what looked to be an ankle deep pool of water.  It just kept getting deeper and deeper but I was confident we could make it through.  And we almost did.  Out midway in this pool was a spot about 8' long and 6' wide that was about 3' deep.  I had to go get the tractor to pull the Mule out of the hole and then on to the house because it was waterlogged. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

solidwoods

OOO. bumb luck
Running over wet ground turns it to liquid doesn't it.
You'd do good to raise the bucket, put a driver in the bobcat, and most importantly,,, don't use cable , use chain.
Cable , if it breaks will come at you like a rubber band chain will just break and fall.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Magicman

Quote from: solidwoods on December 18, 2009, 05:37:45 PM
and most importantly,,, don't use cable , use chain.  Cable , if it breaks will come at you like a rubber band chain will just break and fall.  jim 

Not necessarily so.  I broke a chain and it came back and went through the windshield of my Brother's Bronco.  You gotta hang something (like maybe a coat or tarp) across a cable or chain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tripp

I agree Majicman.  It is always a good idea to put a coat or something on your cable or chain. We have broken chains, cables, and nylon straps while pulling trucks. I Have been into 4x4 rock crawling for years and have pulled trucks out of unbelievable situations. I know better and should have had something on it.

I did reverse and push with the bucket while my son was pulling. If not it would have never come out.

Tripp

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

We had some soaking rains followed by a good deep freeze and now it has all thawed out. The ground is very tender now and can drop out from under you in a hart beat.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Coalsmoke

I guess its soft all over this year. It has thawed out up here too, everything except the logs and lumber, they're still froze from the last couple of weeks.

Back in the end of November I bought 120 yards of material to take care of the mud problem. After excavating 80 yards of mud I rebuilt the mill site. The week I had to shut my mill down for in order to do this was well worth the payoff. No more mud 8)
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

Magicman

I had to 4WD into and moving the mill out of the job that I finished yesterday.  What was supposed to be my next job is down under a hill.  No way to get to it.  whiteflag_smiley Well it's time to let the mill sleep until next year anyway...... smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping..... :)

WDH

I need to saw, but I can't get the logs out of the woods.  I have never seen it this wet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Tom and Dan don't complain that Dang rain is heading north and us poor yankees have to shovel it.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DanG

It ain't all headed up there Frank.  A bunch of it stayed here on the ground, and all of that that fell in Ga and Ala is headed back this way in the rivers.  I think every County in N Fla has flood warnings up.

I still don't envy you the shoveling though. :D

stonebroke

We have a saying Up North. You don't have to shovel rain, it goes away all by itself.

Stonebroke

backwoods sawyer

The old farmer I was milling for today had to use his big skidder to take the round bales out to his cows because he had to leave the tractor there yesterday.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!