iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repowering an 87 LT 40

Started by trickn7474, December 16, 2009, 07:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickn7474

My 87 LT 40's Onan 20 hp bit the dust, I'm looking to repower it with a Briggs and Stratton 31 hp. It weighs 170 pounds, is this too heavy? I'm new here, sooooo HELP!

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum...!  8)

The best advice I can give you is call Wood-Mizer tech support.  They have engine kits available to replace engines on older mills.   

If you plan to find an engine from another source,  they can often help with linkage adpters, etc.

Here is a link to the Wood-Mizer web page that lists the "plug and play" engine upgradeds.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/support/engines.aspx
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

backwoods sawyer

I got a mill that is a LT-40 chassis that Woodmizer stuck an LT-70 head on with a 42hp Kubota. This is the old single post design that was not beefed up to handle the added weight, and I have had cracking issues with the mast due to the excess weight and leverage of the larger head. However, this is considerably more weight then what you are looking at as a difference between a 20 hp and 31 hp motor. How much dose the old 20 hp weigh?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

trickn7474

Back woods that  is a good question.

Magicman

trickn....Welcome to FF.  The right place to ask the right questions for the right answers...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trickn7474

Majicman I'm just below Hattiesburg MS. Backwoods, the onan weighes 146 pounds. I doubt that 24 pounds will make a difference.

pineywoods

Probably others just as good, but i can highly recommend the 27 hp liquid cooled kawasaki. Weighs 115 lbs with cooling system. Do a search on kawmizer.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Hey there trickn7474, welcome to the forum.  Glad to see another MS fella on board.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

I see that Kohler has a 38 or 40 hp that's around 170 to 180#, that should pull good in big logs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sparks

The engine we use now for that mill is a 25hp Kohler. It weighs 186 pounds. If you stay around that weight you'll be fine.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

jdtuttle

I just replaced the motor on my 92 LT40 HD with woodmizers 25hp kohler. It took about 3 hours and they were available for any questions. I thought about going with the kawasaki but was not comfortable with my own mechanical abilities. Been a carpenter my whole life not a mechanic. If your good with mechanics go for the HP. The new kohler cuts alot faster than my old onan did.
jim
Have a great day

rs1626

I just bought a new 33hp gth990 generac for $1036.00 shipped direct to me this is supposed to be same engine dixie chopper uses on there mowers it supposed to weigh 120#

ely

not to hijack... and maybe on the same lines. wasnt there an upgrade on the output pulley on those mills back then that increased the band speed a little bit.

trickn7474

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I've had the mill for about ten years. I've turned it over to my youngest son who has the fever. I am going to buy a swing mill very soon.

ljmathias

Welcome trickn: glad to have you aboard.  Just where south of Hattiesburg?  That's where I live and work- between 59 and Purvis on highway 11.  Be glad to offer you a cup of coffee if you want to come visit- if this rain  ever quits, I've got some SYP, white oak, yellow poplar and sweet gum to cut up; actually, I only need the SYP for siding right now, the rest is just for fun and to clear up some downed wood.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

trickn7474

ljmathias I live between Camp Shelby and Purvis. Near Brown's Bridge. I would love to pick your brain, I have had mine a long time and cut a lot of wood and made many mistakes.

LeeB

would that be the brain or the saw?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ljmathias

well, I too often forget to use the one when I'm using the other... interesting lumber results.

trickn- come up Brown's Bridge to Harold Tucker and follow that west over 59 to N. Hill and take a right... half mile then right on Hagford and go straight to the end- our house sits there; easier maybe to mapquest us at 7 mathias hollow- can't believe we're actually on there; too many UPS deliveries I guess.

Let me know when you're coming so I can put the pot on.  Be working tomorrow and Saturday if it doesn't rain...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

trickn7474

We are not that far apart, I will come by one day, have company for 3 weeks or more. I'm going to realign everything, clean and paint.

sdunston

As much as I USED to like B&S they are not what they used to be, Kohler is my vote for a small gas engine
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!