iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple syrup question

Started by woody1, December 16, 2009, 05:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Gary, boxelder is what we Canadians call Manitoba maple. ;) And yes, a broken limb on one of those things will drip sap like a faucet. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Thanks Swamp, I never knew that the Manitoba maples are actually box elders.  I have heard of people tapping them but haven't done so myself.  Maybe I should.  ;D  Come to think about it I have seen the sap just pouring out of one of these. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

isawlogs

I will go to bed tonight and be wiser.  :P  I also did not know that Box Elder and Manitoba maple where one and da same  smiley_smug01
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

nas

Quote from: Coon on November 19, 2010, 01:53:57 PM
Thanks Swamp, I never knew that the Manitoba maples are actually box elders. 
Brad.
Actually, box elders are Manitoba Maples.  Dem guys are wrong down dare eh ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

rbarshaw

Are Sweet Gum trees any good to tap?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Coon

Well now we may as well just call em box maple.  ;)  Most of em we have around here will just make their own box when you saw em.  There's so much tension in most of em that a banana looks straight compared to the lumber.  We found that with the slightest crook in the log and you had tension to no end.  Not alot of demand around here for 2 to 4 foot pieces unless you are a wood turner. There however is some very interesting grain patterns.

Talking about all this maple and birch sap and syrup sure has given me a craving for birch beer.  ;D  Anyone know where I can get some?  :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ibseeker

Quote from: isawlogs on November 19, 2010, 05:59:51 PM
I will go to bed tonight and be wiser. 

Marcel, I agree. Very interesting thread, I had no idea it takes 30 gal to make 1 gal of syrup.
Just thinking that the sap has a function in the life of the tree and taking gallons of sap out of the tree would seem to have some effect. Does tapping the tree affect it at all?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

SwampDonkey

Acer negundo as in maples. Some call it ash-leaved maple. ;)

Vile things have naturalized in the St John river valley, as they are not a New Brunswick native. Silver maple however are a native along the valley, most prominent now from Fredericton southward on interval lands.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RynSmith

rbarshaw

Quote from: RynSmith on November 20, 2010, 03:56:17 PM
Quote from: rbarshaw on November 19, 2010, 10:21:17 PM
Are Sweet Gum trees any good to tap?

I highly doubt it.   :-\

Thanks, I didn't think so, but they are so maple like, they smell sweet and, if they have a wound it makes a gum like substance that can be chewed like gum.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

John Mc

Quote from: ibseeker on November 20, 2010, 12:52:36 PM
I had no idea it takes 30 gal to make 1 gal of syrup.
Just thinking that the sap has a function in the life of the tree and taking gallons of sap out of the tree would seem to have some effect. Does tapping the tree affect it at all?

The are maple trees around here that have been taped for many decades and are still quite healthy. There is such a thing as abusive tapping, which will degrade the health & vigor of the tree... but there are some pretty good guidelines to go by.

At any rate, tapping the tree has a less dramatic effect in the tree's health than cutting it down  ;D

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ibseeker

I did a little research and cornell.edu has some interesting FAQ's on maple tapping. I like their straightforward answers. One of the comments was about trees that have been tapped for over 100 years by the same families. Another one was about using fertilizer to improve the quality...they don't know but are running a research project on it right now and will post the results when they find out. It also might take more than 30 gal to produce 1 gal of syrup, they explain the formula to calculate yield very well.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

SwampDonkey

Yes, the ratio also varies by site, might even be genetics at play to. If you want a stronger flavour you have to boil it down more so it's a bit darker. I like the darker stuff the best, like the old timers did it before they came up with those light grades. Nailhead (Pat Johnson) did his just like I do and the way grand dad did his.  He sent me a bottle half way across the continent. I never had the privilege to meet him, but I have a memory of an elephant. 8) 8)

bill m

The ratio of sap to syrup varies from tree to tree, time of season, and year to year. Yes, there are genetically sweet trees. The sugar content of the sap is influenced by the weather of the previous summer. In the early spring when the sap starts to run the sugar content can be a lot higher and may only take 25 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. Later in the season when the trees have used up most of the sugar stored in the roots the ratio can go up to 80 gallons for a gallon of syrup. All maple syrup is boiled to a density of 66 brix. Darker and stronger flavored syrup, which is normally made late in the season, is the result of having to boil more gallons of sap for a gallon of syrup.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SPIKER

you might want to do a search on "SUGARING" or SYRUP as there have been many good threads on here   here is one from last  year I started
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42259.msg610605.html#msg610605

I like the darker syrup myself but the early early spring light is very SWEET but seems to have less maple flavor...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

isawlogs

I don't have any favorite , any of it is good  ;D  Just like honey , what ever is in the pot is ok with me.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Pudge

Little late in answering this one but first I saw it....Anyway we have stored the sap in clean plastic garbage cans for as long as a week with no problems. Kept cold and out of the sun it's ok. Our pan is so big I won't start a boil unless I have at least 200 - 250 gal collected with it running good. Then we also don't want more than 400 gal. to a batch. We're pretty low key and make it to give to our friends and family.
Karen

SwampDonkey

I dunno if it's late or just early. With all this rain and mild weather I would be inclined to think it's spring time in New Brunswick.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!