iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End matching

Started by True North, December 16, 2009, 07:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

Anyone know of an economic way to buy or build an end matcher?

red oaks lumber

how much wood do you plan on e-matching? if the amount is small do it with 2 shapers, more volume there is a small one ducet makes new about $40,000  fruilmac makes a bigger one new $130,000
there are some used ones on the market just depends how much you want to spend, far as making one  that depends on how handy you are
my opinion is i won't try to reinvent the wheel by trying to make one you'll still have a lot into with no gauratees it will even work good. i have owned both makes of e-matchers still running the fruilmac does about 1000sq.ft.per hour. the ducet did about 2-300 sq.ft.per hour
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

True North

It would not be a lot of volume. What would you suggest for the 2 shaper option?

red oaks lumber

i would go with a 3 hp.  either grizzly or powermatic.  grizz sells t&g cutters for shapers
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scsmith42

Rather than using a shaper, what about mounting a router to a radial arm saw, or something similar?  Seems to me that supporting a long board for end matching on a shaper might be difficult...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LOGDOG

True North,

Logosol makes a machine that can do this. It's shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGDvcDDF1g

One way you could increase speed is by replacing the manual lockdowns shown in this video with air clamps on a kicker switch. I had a shaper set up that way for end matching. Worked great. The stacked head shown on this logosol allows you to do both a tongue and a groove on alternate pieces. Saves time on switching tooling and rehandling the pieces. Hope it gives you some helpful ideas.

LOGDOG

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

solidwoods

For economy-  Double spindle shaper.
I got one from IRS auctions for $100.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

True North

I am not familar with a double spindle spindle shaper. How do they work?

beenthere

True North
They are set up with two spindles that rotate in the opposite directions, so a piece being shaped (usually clamped to a jig block) can be fed on one spindle or the other depending on the direction of the grain rising to the surface.

Pictures of shaping test specimens and some discussion can be found on p 20 of the "Machining and related characteristics of Hardwood by E.M. Davis

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/tb1267.pdf

The tests were to show how different hardwoods could be machined, and the shaper was one of the tests. A double spindle shaper was used (last we knew, it still sits in the wood shop at the Forest Products Laboratory).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

solidwoods

Quote from: solidwoods on December 18, 2009, 05:39:42 PM
For economy-  Double spindle shaper.
I got one from IRS auctions for $100.
jim
Its 2 shapers built on 1 table.
They have 2 seperate motors and 2 seperate spindles.
Really no big advantage over 2 seperate shapers but a dbl. shaper can be had cheap from a factory (but 3ph).
Just go to IRSauctions click search and check the shapers block.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!