iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replace a stihl 026

Started by pierre, December 15, 2009, 08:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre

I have a stihl 026, bought new in 2000. I have bring it to the dealer because in winter, i always have the finger on the throttle, if not, it stall. The dealer says he will open it, because he think it have a bad piston, or more. The saw was still running, but not like a new.  If it cost me 100-200 $, make the job done, but for more of 200 $, i will buy a new one. 
I have buy a Husqvarna 365 Special, bought new last fall, 2008. I am a small guy, 140 lbs, so, its my ''big'' saw. For cut the wood that a haul with my wood hauler with grapple (in french :chargeuse), its the best. For the big wood too. But, 2 days of work with just the 365, i begin to be tired. And with a hockey game on the night, i will be scrap the next day.

So, i surely will buy a new small saw in the next weeks. I need a small professional saw for do the small wood and branches. I need a good saw and something who will start when you want it. The 026 have done the job very very well for 10 years. But some people tell me good things about shindaiwa 488 or 502. I dont need a all plastic toy.
Just need a light chainsaw and with power for my money,400-500 $. 3 brand at my dealer : Stihl, Shindaiwa, and Husqvarna.
I do some firewood, maybe 50 days a year. Just a ''big'' sideline. 

Need some opinions.  Thanks

arbormike

I say go with the husqvarna 346xp.  It's only a little heavier (1lbs) and I think it's the best saw on the market.  But that is obviously only my opinion.  good luck on the ice!  8)

Rocky_J

346xp. It will give you the power of the 365 with the weight of the 026.

sablatnic

Stihl MS260. Most of it is just a 026 with another name.
I prefer Husqvarna 346 myself, but tell my friends to buy Stihl ms260, because I don't want repair their saws.

SawTroll

Quote from: arbormike on December 15, 2009, 09:17:38 PM
I say go with the husqvarna 346xp.  It's only a little heavier (1lbs) and I think it's the best saw on the market.  But that is obviously only my opinion.  good luck on the ice!  8)

I agree - and the weight difference is just 1/2 pound, far from a full one....... :)

To the OP;
Don't trust any specs from Shindaiwa, they tend to be very "optimistic" according to independent lab testing... ::)
Information collector.

firtree

If you are happy with your 026, I would put some effort into diagnosing the issue
before I bought a new saw. It is a great lower midrange saw and not worth
tossing yet. A scored cylinder is not likely to cause the effect you described, but
I suppose it is possible. Have you pulled off the muffler and looked at the piston
through the exhaust port? If it is unscored, I would look into your carburetor. At
this point in its life it could probably use a carb kit and a thorough cleaning. That should
only set you back about $10. Also, are your fuel and impulse lines in good shape?
If they are cracked or hard they will give you trouble, too. They are cheap parts, as well.
Buy a carb kit, give it a couple of hours of work some night, and if it still does not work
sell it on ebay for $100 as non-running and buy another saw. If you have a good husky dealer
a 346xp or a 353 (non-cat muffler) will give you plenty of power in a  light weight
limbing saw.

Ironmower

Let me get this right, your looking for a small limbing saw, besides your "big" saw? Your 026 was your "small" saw and your 365 is your "big" saw, correct? A stihl ms200 would be my choice. I just bought a used one for 2 bills, and I love it, it's light and powerful for the size. Of course, I opened the muffler up a bit too.

I have a 026 (made here in the U.S.) and it's like a woman, contemptible. One day it'll run alright, other days it won't idle, or if it does it'll shutoff when a pick it up. the only thing I ain't changed on it yet is the fuel line. If that fixes it, I'm selling it. With the ms 200 and my 036 pro, I have no need for it, to heavy to limb all day with, and not powerful enough for the bigger wood. Just my 2 cents.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

peterc38

I'd go with either the 346xp or MS260.

Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

SawTroll

Quote from: peterc38 on December 19, 2009, 08:38:30 AM

The MS260 isn't even close to the 346xp in performance.    ;)
Information collector.

pierre

I have buy a husky 346xp yesterday, first hours this afternoon with it. Really happy with that. Its just the good weight for me, and the performance are impressive. It have a primer bulb on it. In Canada, we dont can get the ones with the green caps and catalyc converter, so, i dont have to change the exhaust for get more power. More money, but its gonna be my chritmas gift.

Thanks to all, your advice have really help me, i was thinking about a shindaiwa, and now, i am sure of my buy.
Thanks, Happy christmas 
Pierre

footer

I used a 084 for a long time as my only saw...Bought new in 1984. Somewhere around 1990, i bought a new 026. Then somewhere in the mid 90's I bought a used 034. I have used all 3 quite a bit every year that i have had them. The 026 gets a lot of use and I have never done anything but replaced the spark plug, several bars and a lot of chains, and periodic carb adjustments. I would venture to guess that the carb is out of adjustment, unless there was some kind of defect, or you ran impropper fuel/oil ratio.

miking

I've been using an Echo CS 530 and found it to be every bit the saw the 260 Pro is and for ~ $100 less.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

trickn7474

I'll never buy another Huskie again. Echo, or Stihl I've had great luck with.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

paulpieter

Pierre,

I gather that you live on the Baie des Chaleurs, not far from Campbellton where my wife grew up. I used to go back there several times a year when her parents were still living. It is a beautiful area I am sure you will agree, and I always loved going back there.

paulpieter
Do the right thing and make things happen.

peterc38

Quote from: SawTroll on December 19, 2009, 10:18:01 AM
Quote from: peterc38 on December 19, 2009, 08:38:30 AM

The MS260 isn't even close to the 346xp in performance.    ;)

I wouldn't dispute that but he said he was looking for a small professional saw for small wood and branches that will start when he needs it. The ms260 fits the bill there. I agree the 346xp is quite the nice saw and really rips.
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

Rocky_J

Husky has about 4, maybe 5 saw models worth owning IMO. The 346xp is at the top of the list. IMO it may be the single best model Husky still has since they discontinued the 372xp. Husky owns the 50cc category.

trickn7474

John Mc I bought a Husky brand new cut one tree down and cut it up. I winterized the saw. I had surgery and did not use the saw until the next year. When I cranked it up it did not run right so I took it to the dealer who said it was sucking air from somewhere. He rebuilt it. I cut one tree down and winterized the saw, had a heart attack. Did not use the saw until the next year, it did not run well, took it back and was told it was sucking air from somewhere and was not worth rebuilding. I cut 2 trees down with the saw, yes that is right, 2 trees!
I bought a Stihl and an Echo, I have used both for over 9 years, replaced chains, bars and pull cords. I ran over the Echo with my tractor, had to replace the handle, but it runs like new.

Rocky_J

trickn, sounds like your dealer did not properly diagnose the problem. Sometimes things aren't perfect straight out of the box, and if it isn't set up right to begin with then it may seem like a 'piece of junk' when all that is needed is for somebody to bypass the stupid EPA caps on the carb adjustment and set the saw up properly. Husqvarna also had a service bulletin on some smaller saws a few years ago for a defective clamp holding the intake boot to the jug.

Although if your Husky problem was from over 9 years ago then it was probably a prior model with which I am not familiar. I've only been running Huskys for about 7-8 years because there were no Husky dealers in my area. I bought all of mine over the internet.

Cut4fun

Husky has a 2 year warranty and should have been covered if it did indeed have a leak.

Also what was the model of this Husky?

windthrown

If you buy your saws with a Master Card CC, they will double the saw warantee. At least the one I have from Capital One will ;)

I would get another Stihl 260 if you like the one you had, or get a Husky 346xp 50cc newer edition. The older 346xp has a 45cc engine. 

Also from my experience (I have five or so 026s now) older 026s get 'tired' rings. I read about these guys porting their 026s when they get low compression, like down to 140# PSI, but while that will raise compression, it is a lot of work. A far far cheaper and better solution is to just get a set of Caber rings from a guy in Greece (on Ebay for $10) and re-ring the piston. I did that to an old 026 saw recently (I got it from Lakeside) and it went from 145# to 170#. Just the rings, nothing else. I have since re-ringed my 044 and that went from 155# to 175#. All you need is a new cylinder gasket and the rings. It is easy to pop the jug and ring the slug. Chips, dips, chains, whips.

Or sell your tired 026 to me. I am always looking for more of them. I love these saws, almost as much as my 361s.

Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

moonhill

I bought my first 026 almost 20 years ago.  It poooched out after 9 years or so.  I tried a Husky it lasted 2 years and the crank broke, I yanked on the cord till I was silly(no tools and I was in a bind and just wanted it to go again).  I am now well into the life of my second 260, a nice light zippy saw.  I did like the Husky, it started well and the air cleaner beats the Stihl, just lacked the durability.  Maybe I got a bad one?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

John Woodworth

I'd try some Seafoam with a pinch of Acetone in your fuel to clean the varnish out of the carb, the gas you are getting today is real garbage and sour's in no time at all.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

windthrown

This state is one of the worst for ethanol in gas. 10% of all gas here. E-10. You really have to add StaBil or some similar type of additive to keep the ethanol in there from sucking up water, and to keep phase separation from happening. It also keeps the octane from dropping and the gas from forming deposits. Read: good stuff.

I have found that soaking a gunked up carb in Coleman fuel (white gas) is good for getting rid of varnish and deposits, and it will not ruin the seals or diaphram.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 21, 2009, 08:23:16 AM
Husky has about 4, maybe 5 saw models worth owning IMO. The 346xp is at the top of the list. IMO it may be the single best model Husky still has since they discontinued the 372xp. Husky owns the 50cc category.

You sure are right about that Husky owns the 50cc market!     :)

I would actually rate the 346xp as the best Husky, as its handling alone really is enough to make the competition ashamed.    8) 8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!