iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many sections of chimney

Started by firefreak47, December 15, 2009, 02:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefreak47

hi all i have cb 5036 second season now and was thinking about adding couple more sections to the chimney it does not smoke anymore than any of the wood stoves around here except a little when i first load it so was wondering how many sections others are using and how often do you have to clean the chimney and how do you do it with more sections added on thanks

wi woodcutter

I have a CB5036 and I have two sections of chimney on it.

I was thinking of putting another section on it, but it does not seem to smoke as bad as I thought it would.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

woodmills1

my free heat machine has a one foot chimney
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

terra8186

I run two sections.  I am in an open area and it doesn't bother anyone.  I have run my CB6048 for 4 years.  I have never cleaned my chimney with a brush or even looked down it.  Occassionally I leave the door open for a couple of minutes and push the wood to the back and try to burn it out.

I paid the stove off last year.  Cost of stove = 3 years of propane.

firefreak47

i have 2 sections right now and wasnt worried about cleaning those because i think its hot enough that there wouldnt be a build up but if people have added more sections thought it would start cooling off near the top and then may have to be cleaned at some point

PlicketyCat

Standard chimney guidelines say you should have the chimney at least 1' above the roof and 2' higher than any vertical obstruction within 10' (including the peak of the roof) to maintain good draft and a cleaner burn. Also reducing any bends in the pipe and insulating the pipe can also help. Make sure the draft intake and damper unit are working properly since an oxygen-starved fire just smoulders and smokes.

I don't have the CB, but have a fair bit of experience with indoor stoves. During heating season, if you're burning full-time, or a lot of softwood, or a lot of green wood you should probably sweep your chimney every couple of months (or at least inspect it). Lots of places sell the extension poles & brushes, and it's just a matter of getting on the roof or a good ladder, removing the weather cap/spark arrester and then feeding the brush and flexi-poles into the flue (with the damper open). Usually 3 or 4 good passes is enough to clear any creosote.  Burning her hot and wide open first thing in the morning will also help reduce the build-up and improve performance.
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

Holmes

Hi all. The taller you make the chimney the colder your smoke gets. Cold smoke makes lots of creosote. Outdoor boilers tend to run with low smoke [ stack ] temperatures. Best to keep chimneys short unless you want to run a hotter fire in the boiler and that uses more wood.
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!