iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 stihl , What file?

Started by welderskelter, December 15, 2009, 12:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I have an 066 and so does my neighbor. My new chain fits a 3/16 file but my neighbor said after the new is worn off then use a 7/32. Is this what anybody else does? Thanks Harold

nmurph

if the chain is 3/8" pitch, you should use a 7/32" or a 13/64" if the chain is Stihl RSC.

welderskelter

I had a hard time getting my 7/32 into it is why I tried the 3/16 and it looked like it fit. OK Thanks :-\

nmurph

if the chain is new, and especially if it is RSC, then they are a tight fit if you technique is a little sloppy. what kind of chain are you using?

beenthere

On new chain, being hand filed the first time, the round file doesn't fit well. I figured it was due to the shape of the grinding wheel when the tooth was factory ground. 

But the round shape can be formed quickly with the file. The recommended file for the Stihl RSC 3/8 chain is the 13/64". However, I use the 7/32 until the tooth is about half "gone" and then switch to the 13/64".  May just be how I feel at the time, and how the tooth looks.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

3/16 to 7/32 all will work, it just depends how you want it to cut.
I use a 3/16 file on 3/8 RS chain, I like the finer edge and how it cuts.
That said the edge is not as tough and will not last as long as a 7/32 filed edge.
But I have always planned on touching up the edge every full tank of fuel.

Al_Smith

7/32" makes a larger gullet and thus pulls a bigger chip .

Rocky_J

Every brand of 3/8 chain in the world except for Stihl recommends a 7/32" file. Stihl 3/8" chain is identical in size to every other brand of 3/8" chain, only their file recommendation is different. I use a 7/32" file on 3/8" chain.

welderskelter

nmurph. I was using a stihl chain. I will probably get a new file soon
. Thanks Guys

Al_Smith

I hate to be to be the perveyer of bad news but if it's Stihl chain you had better get on the horn to Baileys and buy a box of files . That is the hardest chain on the market .

Rocky_J

Who buys files one at a time? Seems quite inefficient to me, unless you only use the saw 3-4 times per year. And if you're only cutting 3-4 times per year then a $1400 saw is overkill.

Buy a dozen and throw them away as they lose their edge. Files are cheap and not designed to be a lifetime purchase.

nmurph

get a box of stihl files. they cost about $14/doz. they last well and are cheap enough not to worry when they wear out. they make the job of sharpening much easier.

Al_Smith

Everyone seems to have a preference for files . I usually use Pferds .

The last dozen I bought were Procut I believe from Baileys . These are less agressive than the others and for myself they seem to  do a better job on those extremely hard Stihl chains .

If you ever "rock out " a Stihl chain it will take the edge right off of say an Oregon file before you ever get the chain resharpened .

There are several things that will happen to everyone eventually if they  run saws long enough .Hang a saw in a cut ,put a chain on backwards and rock out a chain . Not to mention dump bar oil in the gas tank or visa versa .

arbormike

I use pferd too, but I've been thinking of switching, the 5/32 I use snap in half on me.  Of course maybe I'm trying too hard to get the most use out of a dull file...

Reddog

If you are snapping them in two, get a new one earlier. If you don't see filings with moderate pressure, the file is dull.

Al_Smith

I'm not trying to be a know it all . However if you tap the filings out of the file periodically the file will last longer and cut better .When it's done though it's done,get another one .

All is not lost though because if you bend a hook on the handle end they make pretty good little snatch hooks for lots of things .Like fishing out a circlip you dropped into the crankcase of a saw or some such thing .

Thank You Sponsors!