iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hospital ,rehab , and freaking out

Started by motohed, December 14, 2009, 12:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motohed

Hi every one
I am new to this forum in general! I have very busy with work and glad to have it , we all know it pays the bills feed the family . like most of you I have never been afraid of hard work ,  :) but I have to tell you that ,I know we are a rare breed that likes to play as hard or harder than we work ! I am here to tell you been there done that , hence Motohed .  I have sustained injury's and even been run over by a truck on a snowmobile trail at speed . Ok thats enough background ,I could go on . The point is I came back from everything even two hip operations on the right leg before I was sixteen , hence the total hip replacement I have needed for ten years . Ok did I all ready tell you I was self employed with six children ,four 12 year olds, one 9 year old that is autistic and a 22 year old know it all like dad ! The surgery went very well , I am a big guy three hundred plus ,  I have been home from the hospital , pain free since surgery , great , now here the problem ! I can't lift anything , do anything except stay in the house and walk a little and think , and of course look at the log tallies and expenses etc that my wife usually takes care of . Did I Tell you I have the best wife of all , check  my other post in the outdoors activities forum for hunting ,etc .  Under thank God she's a country girl ,I am a Christian ! Sorry I got off track , you see it turns out we didn't get any loads to the mill last week for the check on Monday ! Role reversal  ,Not really ,but you know what I mean ! I have been the go to  guy to get it done in adverse conditions quickly  with no mess no worries done !  I have worked with broken ribs  ,sick as a dog ,etc everyone knows the drill .  NOW for the first time in my life . I can't work like that ,with no self regard to my self ! You see I made a promise to my family , to my wife and GOD .   I would not do it this time , because I haven't been able to do anything with the family that required me to walk any distance with out excrusiating pain .  I could stand  pain as good or better than anyone . But I can't any more because now it's affecting my work. I did it for work ,but not for enjoyment . I mean no fairs no amusement parks nothing ! I stopped racing dirtbikes and every other motor sport I had done period .  I stopped having fun! I stopped doing things with my family . We are a low impact  four person crew , with me being the anchor . We work small select jobs . It's been seven days with no log loads . They are working hard , my wife included , Just one of those weeks  I am sure ! Now  every one is on edge ! I have been having panic attacks all morning !!!!!!!!!!!! I am smart enough to know that I can't be the first , or the last guy in this situation ! So how do I deal ? Payments come no matter what , we have used saving in the past  but that is getting tight ! We have work but not the kind we have had in the past , economy . Ok you get the picture any help would be appreciated ! Thanks for reading my rambling and sorry about the spelling ,it just not at the top of my list . My wife say's it will be Ok !

jdtuttle

I lost my first wife in a car accident & was devastated for a few years. One of her Aunts gave me a copy of this poem http://www.barefootsworld.net/footprints.html
Be thankful for what you do have because you never know what tomorrow brings.
Get well soon. :)
jim
Have a great day

SPIKER

Been there DOING that,
I was 25 when I blew out 2 disks, bottom 2 on left side, lived with the pain ever since.  Fr first 10 years maybe 1~4 times/year I would end up aggravating it to point I HAD to take a break from what ever i was doing.  the next 5 years it got worse, till last jun i could no longer do much of anything...   Had to have it fixed, though knowing it was getting worse I signed up for extra insurance 4 or 5 years back & kept it up to date.   this helped a lot.  I spent all of June, July and most of August unable to walk or set or lay flat.  spent 2.5 months with legs in air flat on my back (legs on couch.)  they cut me open in july 29th was going to be a 2or 3 day stay, ended up with 3 weeks after infection and much worse than the x-rays & MRIs showed.   It was near end of august when they said if I could walk out I could go.   It took a walker to go but I left.  was on PT and home healing through mid November b4 I went back to a desk job part time, and was doing PT daily on my own and 2 times a week through January.  I used a cane to walk up till about mid may and was back on the cane this past October.   I have little to no feeling in my left leg from knee down (pins & needles 100% of time and major cramping if something bumps the foot ever sense.)   I still do my PT stretching daily which helps some...   Best thing was a GOOD PT person.  first one I had was worthless provided by the military.   I went outside VA system to get a good PT person on my own who actually HELPED me.

I'm figuring at 42 years old I should be in a lot better shape, (I was a body builder when I was injured) and was active duty military when I was hurt on the job moving stuff after D.S.
Military has picked up pretty much most of the bills & left me live with the pain for last 17 years ever sense.   i cant stand on one leg anymore for much of nothing.  I had been a highly paid electrician in heavy industrial but I cant climb ladders or lift more than about 25 lbs.   I stager around the yard like I'm drunk and yet the 10% disability rating is all they will give me...   4 years ago I was clearing $50K, last year and this year I was lucky to get 20K~23K due to fact I lost the jobs I was doing, no longer capable...   Something you may end up facing as well.   when the body no longer does or can do what it used to you simply have to accept the things you cant change and change the things you can...  Yep I'm still not smart enough to know which ones I can change and too dang stubborn to accept the onces I cant change!  and havent got a bit of serenity or an ounce senility!!! ::) :D  J

best thing I can say is to try & stay active, do as much PT as you can with out making it hurt worse, if it starts to hurt stop and then go back a little while later.   take some good anti-inflammatory pills on regular basis while healing & doing the PT even if you are not HURTING at the time.   These things need to be in your system for a day or two prior to them actually working very well.   I found Alieve worked about as well or better than anything they prescribed.   Also had to get an actual agronomic chair for working in the place I was / am working for when it went out did get me a pretty nice one and made a big difference....   
Also try and loose as much weight as you can to get the extra lbs off the back/legs & joints.   I have gained about 10 lbs back in the last few months as I couldn't keep as active over the last year, been trying to stop eating but when I'm cooking it tastes much better. have to go on a Plain Grits & Beans diet (that would make me loose a lot of weight fast!:o)

Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

motohed

Quote from: SPIKER on December 14, 2009, 06:37:26 PM
Been there DOING that,
I was 25 when I blew out 2 disks, bottom 2 on left side, lived with the pain ever since.  Fr first 10 years maybe 1~4 times/year I would end up aggravating it to point I HAD to take a break from what ever i was doing.  the next 5 years it got worse, till last jun i could no longer do much of anything...   Had to have it fixed, though knowing it was getting worse I signed up for extra insurance 4 or 5 years back & kept it up to date.   this helped a lot.  I spent all of June, July and most of August unable to walk or set or lay flat.  spent 2.5 months with legs in air flat on my back (legs on couch.)  they cut me open in july 29th was going to be a 2or 3 day stay, ended up with 3 weeks after infection and much worse than the x-rays & MRIs showed.   It was near end of august when they said if I could walk out I could go.   It took a walker to go but I left.  was on PT and home healing through mid November b4 I went back to a desk job part time, and was doing PT daily on my own and 2 times a week through January.  I used a cane to walk up till about mid may and was back on the cane this past October.   I have little to no feeling in my left leg from knee down (pins & needles 100% of time and major cramping if something bumps the foot ever sense.)   I still do my PT stretching daily which helps some...   Best thing was a GOOD PT person.  first one I had was worthless provided by the military.   I went outside VA system to get a good PT person on my own who actually HELPED me.

I'm figuring at 42 years old I should be in a lot better shape, (I was a body builder when I was injured) and was active duty military when I was hurt on the job moving stuff after D.S.
Military has picked up pretty much most of the bills & left me live with the pain for last 17 years ever sense.   i cant stand on one leg anymore for much of nothing.  I had been a highly paid electrician in heavy industrial but I cant climb ladders or lift more than about 25 lbs.   I stager around the yard like I'm drunk and yet the 10% disability rating is all they will give me...   4 years ago I was clearing $50K, last year and this year I was lucky to get 20K~23K due to fact I lost the jobs I was doing, no longer capable...   Something you may end up facing as well.   when the body no longer does or can do what it used to you simply have to accept the things you cant change and change the things you can...  Yep I'm still not smart enough to know which ones I can change and too dang stubborn to accept the onces I cant change!  and havent got a bit of serenity or an ounce senility!!! ::) :D  J

best thing I can say is to try & stay active, do as much PT as you can with out making it hurt worse, if it starts to hurt stop and then go back a little while later.   take some good anti-inflammatory pills on regular basis while healing & doing the PT even if you are not HURTING at the time.   These things need to be in your system for a day or two prior to them actually working very well.   I found Alieve worked about as well or better than anything they prescribed.   Also had to get an actual agronomic chair for working in the place I was / am working for when it went out did get me a pretty nice one and made a big difference....   
Also try and loose as much weight as you can to get the extra lbs off the back/legs & joints.   I have gained about 10 lbs back in the last few months as I couldn't keep as active over the last year, been trying to stop eating but when I'm cooking it tastes much better. have to go on a Plain Grits & Beans diet (that would make me loose a lot of weight fast!:o)

Mark

Hi Mark
Man I read your post and can definately  identify ! I did the body building . I also have the numbness in my left hand . I will get better at least after I heal , heck I am pain free now ! I have to thank god for that ,and my family also ! I worry about losing all we have worked for , with  the ecconomy this year ! We took a heavy financial hit this year with are main business , we also do logging full time , but  that was slow also .  So we are up against it big time , but making it . Things were going well when we got the surgery date which was only two weeks out . December 7th , I am a week in recovery and emotional  as heck , on top of that  things didn't go well with the logging this week .  I pray that you get relief for your pain and some kind of recovery your self ! You helped me with a reality check , I will be better than before and pain free to boot !  I just need to hang on for the ride , and let go and let god .

DanG

Motohed, I can sure see why you're in a funk, but Spiker has shown you that you're not as bad off as you could be.  There are many others on the forum that have various afflictions that will never get better.  Unless I misunderstand something, your condition should be temporary, and you should come out better than before.  I sure hope that is the case!!  You can use this time to expand your mind.  You obviously aren't dead from the neck up, so start using the Internet to look up things you've always been curious about.  It can be real entertaining.  Better yet, go back to the beginning of this forum and start reading it.  If you don't laugh out loud or shed a tear every five minutes, you might be dead from the neck up! ;D :D

Another thing you might do is study up on something that will help you when you're back on your feet.  I know one old guy who has no legs.  He rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and pumps.  His Granddaughter works with him and does all the moving of stuff.  You ain't gonna be like him, but he demonstrates what a fella can do if he really wants to.  He was in the woods until the accident took his legs, but he is still active in the industry that he loves and still gets to see all of his old logger buddies.

One more thing before I shut up.  Don't be ashamed to accept help.  Check with your State and County to see what programs might be of benefit to your family.  Food stamps are there for people who can't work.  It doesn't have to be a permenant thing.  Just don't let your children go without the things they need because of pride.

Most of all, be thankful for what you have...a wonderful Wife and a whole covey of kids to love.  You'll get through this time and look back on it as "the good ol' days. ;) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mrcaptainbob

My cousin (brother) passed away early part of this December due to bone cancer. Lost his job about 3 years ago when the company folded. Then was diagnosed with this about a year ago. Bills are no longer a problem.

motohed

Quote from: DanG on December 14, 2009, 09:52:21 PM
Motohed, I can sure see why you're in a funk, but Spiker has shown you that you're not as bad off as you could be.  There are many others on the forum that have various afflictions that will never get better.  Unless I misunderstand something, your condition should be temporary, and you should come out better than before.  I sure hope that is the case!!  You can use this time to expand your mind.  You obviously aren't dead from the neck up, so start using the Internet to look up things you've always been curious about.  It can be real entertaining.  Better yet, go back to the beginning of this forum and start reading it.  If you don't laugh out loud or shed a tear every five minutes, you might be dead from the neck up! ;D :D

Another thing you might do is study up on something that will help you when you're back on your feet.  I know one old guy who has no legs.  He rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and pumps.  His Granddaughter works with him and does all the moving of stuff.  You ain't gonna be like him, but he demonstrates what a fella can do if he really wants to.  He was in the woods until the accident took his legs, but he is still active in the industry that he loves and still gets to see all of his old logger buddies.

One more thing before I shut up.  Don't be ashamed to accept help.  Check with your State and County to see what programs might be of benefit to your family.  Food stamps are there for people who can't work.  It doesn't have to be a permenant thing.  Just don't let your children go without the things they need because of pride.

Most of all, be thankful for what you have...a wonderful Wife and a whole covey of kids to love.  You'll get through this time and look back on it as "the good ol' days. ;) :D

Thanks DanG
I read about spiker ,and he is in my prayers As some of the others . I am very lucky for a lot of reasons  ,  My pride is definately a factor , but I can't stand not being or working outside . I guess they need to sit me in the landing lol .

Thanks  Scott

motohed

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on December 15, 2009, 12:22:45 AM
My cousin (brother) passed away early part of this December due to bone cancer. Lost his job about 3 years ago when the company folded. Then was diagnosed with this about a year ago. Bills are no longer a problem.

I am sorry to hear of your loss ,you are in prayers .
sincerly scott

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds to me like you are going to be NOT physically working for some time.  ::)

Now might be a good time to do as DanG stated, and look for someone reliable to put in charge of things your Bride can not really handle. There sometimes HAS to be a BOSS, so, you might start looking at that side of things, and see if you can get things moving along better.  ??? ??? ;D

Good luck on the recovery and RELAX. Your Bride is correct, you will get through this  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I didn't mean to sound quite so preachy, Motohed.  My point is that as long as you have your mind, you should be able to find something interesting enough to keep you from going nuts before you can get back outside.  Being from the South myself, I have a hard time understanding why you would want to go outside in Rhode Island this time of year anyway. ::) :D :D

Mrcaptainbob, my heart and prayers go out to you.  I lost a Brother to cancer several years ago, so I know just how you feel.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

motohed

Quote from: DanG on December 15, 2009, 10:08:57 AM
I didn't mean to sound quite so preachy, Motohed.  My point is that as long as you have your mind, you should be able to find something interesting enough to keep you from going nuts before you can get back outside.  Being from the South myself, I have a hard time understanding why you would want to go outside in Rhode Island this time of year anyway. ::) :D :D

Mrcaptainbob, my heart and prayers go out to you.  I lost a Brother to cancer several years ago, so I know just how you feel.

Hi DanG
I have six children in the house ,and it's been relatively warm , my wife calls me Scotty to hottie , because I can stand the heat over 67 degrees .LOL     Life out side for me has been some of the best continuing edgication I could have . I have learn as much about wild life ,plants and reforestation . The diversity of animals and there families and survival have help  me in some ways . I still love to hunt and fish , I know the anti hunters wouldn't understand  , but what we do as woodsmen helps produce quality habitat , This world we have is special , and I love to be out in it ! You are deffinatly ok ,and in my prayers DanG no harm no fowl . LOL
Thanks  Scott

motohed

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 15, 2009, 10:03:35 AM

Sounds to me like you are going to be NOT physically working for some time.  ::)

Now might be a good time to do as DanG stated, and look for someone reliable to put in charge of things your Bride can not really handle. There sometimes HAS to be a BOSS, so, you might start looking at that side of things, and see if you can get things moving along better.  ??? ??? ;D

Good luck on the recovery and RELAX. Your Bride is correct, you will get through this  ;D

I wanted to wish you good luck in your recovery ,and tell you you are in our prayers . 
                   Thanks Scott

motohed

Quote from: jdtuttle on December 14, 2009, 01:37:42 PM
I lost my first wife in a car accident & was devastated for a few years. One of her Aunts gave me a copy of this poem http://www.barefootsworld.net/footprints.html
Be thankful for what you do have because you never know what tomorrow brings.
Get well soon. :)
jim

Hi Jim
I wanted to say sorry for your loss . You are in my prayers ,and thanks for the link
  Scott

SPIKER

Quote from: DanG on December 14, 2009, 09:52:21 PM
  Better yet, go back to the beginning of this forum and start reading it.  If you don't laugh out loud or shed a tear every five minutes, you might be dead from the neck up! ;D :D

I second that, especially the dead from the neck UP part :D 

I lost a lot but still have my sense of humor too bad its "cracked" as well ;) :p ::)

I can say I am somewhat better in last few months as I have only been working every other week, (due to lack of work not the physical problems.) and was on reduced work hours since march.   The reduced/less work means a lot less money but also means greater chance to heal (not re-injuring myself daily.)    It (my injury) is a long term slow healing for my problem due to extended nerve compression, vet docs kept pushing it off, tried about every 2~3 years since 98 to have them operate on me...   Docs say recovery time is measured in in months for my type of injury with average time about 12~18 months to get to full speed.   I was little worse off according to the doc that did the cutting, (he didn't know how I walked into the place.)  I have a 6" scar from tail bone up.   the very top is the area that got infected and didn't heal for a long time.   It still has a nasty feeling & looking section about 3/4" long where extra drainage tubes were put in at the hospital.

Remember YOU are person in charge of your healing. all the Docs can say is do or try this that or the other, in the end it is hard work PT and listening to them that helps the most...
If the doc does not seem to be very helpful ask questions and push for answers, dont over do it when first starting to heal. but you have to MOVE while healing.  I think I would have been better off with a GOOD PT person when first recovering.

Thanks for the thoughts too...

Mark

motohed

I want to thank all of the members who have replied , and hope to hear from many more ! I want you all to know that you are in my prayers daily as I go through PT . I am already starting to walk well, with the assistance of the walker , but I also need to slow down a little because I keep running over the dumb thing . LOL God bless all of you and thanks from the whole Thompson family !

motohed

I am now 2 weeks out , walking around with the walker is getting boring . I have to admit that some of the muscles that I haven't used in along time are sore .  I still can't walk unasisted yet , I am getting inpatient . My balance is much better than when I was walking on the ball of my foot Before sergury. I think that walking  for so long with my knee locked out is leading to the muscle strength problem in rehab . I am up a lot (wife is giving me a hard time ) but I need to see more results , I know be patient ! I go to the doc tommorrow to have the staples out , I hope he will let me back in a machine  at least . I guess I need a little help here with patients.  :-\

DanG

I guess it would help if you were as lazy as I am, eh? :D :D :D

I'm about crosseyed from staring at this screen, so shoot me a PM with your phone # and I'll give ya a call. :)

motohed

Hi All
It is new years eve , and I want to wish all a happy , safe holiday . I am doing well , I have been able to walk about 20 feet without the walker , YAH ! I have been active all my life , It's a lot of work retraining myself to walk correctly . I have gotten to meet a lot of new friends . I  have to say , this is the best site by far I have ever been a part of , thanks all !

Scott

SPIKER

scott

good to hear you are doing well.   keep up the PT.

mark m

Captain

Good progress report, Scott.  Keep on it!!

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!