iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade off square

Started by garyfg, December 14, 2009, 08:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyfg

I was reading review on the EZ Boardwalk mill and they talked about the blade being 15 degree of square to track. I have a Oliver mill andwhen doing measurements and adjustments I found my blade wheels were not square with track. About 1/8 to a 1/4 in 19 in. I shimed the back pillow block to square them but now I wonder if they were suppose to be that way. Any info on this?

Jeff

I think the E-Z Boardwalk mill may have been referring to the angle of attack of the blade to the wood as it is entering the log, not the angle of the blade in relation to the distance to the track up and down.  I don't know that for a fact, but it make sense as there is a school of thought with a manufacture or two that it is better to have the blade enter the end of the log at an angle then square-on.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

garyfg

That was what I was talking about. Maybe not very plain in my discribition.

robnrob2

This theory behind this angle is to help aid in feeding the mill thru the log, My mill is set up at 5 degrees, it may help some, , this is mostly done on manual mills.
Yous does not have enough angle to make any differance,, it was just probably fabricated that way,  I would say its no big deal, but now that you have shimmed it, make sure all alignments are correct.

Thank You Sponsors!