iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member, Paul Clancy, MO, About Me

Started by CX3, December 12, 2009, 11:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Hello Everyone.  I have been watching this site for a while and have decided to become a member after seeing most information is accurate and not a bunch of idiots on here like some websites. 

I am new to this site but not new to the timber.  I have been working in the timber for all of my life and am 28 years old.  I started in "production" logging four years ago as a cutter for an old boy in Nixa, MO.  He was a good fella and taught me alot of things I didnt know and will never forget. 

I currently work for myself out of Ozark, MO (springfield area).  We cut hardwoods only.  Oak, and walnut is all I have markets for now.  My oak price is down a little but have been concentrated mostly on the walnut game as it is good.  We have good timber here but it is hard to buy, seems to be a lot of large tracts bought up by city folks who dont like chainsaws and skidder trails. 

I am a Christian, hunter and fisherman, and country boy just like every other timber man.  I love my job and pray every day for your safety in the woods and mine. 

I am glad to be a member and will help any of you in any way I can because I hope you would return the favor.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Welcome aboard CX3.  You won't regret signing on with this crew.  Lots of real good people here, and heaps of knowledge being shared! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Welcome aboard, grab a coffee and pull up a chair. This is a good bunch to hang out with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishpharmer

CX3, Welcome to a great place, with great folks.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LeeB

Welcome aboard young man. I'll be coming close to your place tomorrow on my way to the airport in Springfield. I'm just down the road a ways in Pyatt AR.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom_Averwater

He who dies with the most toys wins .

Ironwood

Welcome.

I saw this the other day on a post, "work like an old man, and you will live long enough to be one".

I like that. Although I am somewhere in between :D  Youthful ignorance has nearly passed me by unscathed.  ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

:) Welcome to FF, CX3.  I enjoyed your introduction.  Sounds like you will fit in with this group very well..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

FFLM

Welcome CX3
A wealth of info here on the FF, and lots of great stories.
Now lets get to the good stuff!  What do you have for equipment???

FFLM
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

CX3

Well thanks for the welcoming party everyone. 

As far as equipment goes I have a minimum.  We skid a lot of our walnut jobs with a 100 hp Deutz Allis farm tractor with a custom winch/grapple on the 3 point.  I have an ancient JD440 cable skidder with power shift.  Its a good machine, just old. 

I dont own a log truck.  I can pay to have my oak logs hauled cheaper than I could ever afford to buy and maintain and insure a ten wheeler. 

And a pile of the best saws ever made MS460's

This system is not the most effecient I understand but it works for me and keeps my operating costs at a bare minimum. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

J_T

Welcome That 440 is still a good machine  8)
Jim Holloway

GF

Welcome to the forum, I know right where Ozark Missouri is, home of Lamberts  digin1 digin1, have to stop in there everytime we are up that direction.

Gary

CLL

Too much work-not enough pay.

iffy

Quote from: GF on December 15, 2009, 08:50:07 PM
Welcome to the forum, I know right where Ozark Missouri is, home of Lamberts  digin1 digin1, have to stop in there everytime we are up that direction.

Gary
We're slipping. It took 14 posts before even a hint of food was mentioned. :D Anyway, welcome aboard. You sound like good people.

indiaxman1

Add to the welcomes.....I know I have learned....appreciate the woods prayers....we need them

semologger

CLL is right nice to have another Mo boy here. If you ever come east Let me know Your 3 hours away.

captain_crunch

Welcome 8) 8)
You live in the land of Mother's ancestors. My great grandfather was a Millrite and built the Hodgson and Dawt mill. We have pics of Hodgson mill with Model A's and horses in front of it. Mom's oldest brother almost drown in millrace as a boy
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Don K

Welcome Paul, by your intro you seem like a down to earth, right likeable fella. I'm pleased you found us a decent bunch of folks to want to join us. We will do our very best to not disappoint you. :) Next thing is to learn the picture thing as we would all like to see your operation and I love walnut because I don't have any. :( And by the way, we love to eat and talk about it. :D :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Bro. Noble

Quote from: captain_crunch on January 24, 2010, 01:36:43 AM
We have pics of Hodgson mill with Model A's and horses in front of it.

Jeff and Tammy visited both Dawt and Hodson mill several years back.  Jeff put a bunch of pictures on Tom's website.  I don't know if they are still there. 

Haytrader and I saw a cottonmouth in the pool in fromt of Hodson's mill a while back.

I'll bet if your Mom is not a Smith or a Martin,  she grew up with a bunch of them around Sycamore ;)  Do you have relatives there now?  If so I'd wager I know them :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

captain_crunch

Bro.Noble
Mom's maiden name was Hodgson. She passed last year at 93 and was the historian on that side of family. So I don't have a clue to who all is back there. Dad's side of family has been in Oregon since the 1850's I was back to the Mill in 1962 but don't remember a lot. Grandmother's side of family were Booth( and they deny any kinship to John Wilks Booth) and if you brought that up Granny would produce Family Bible say look all you want He ain't in it ;D ;D ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bro. Noble

This country is full of Smiths and Alva Hodgson (whom I sassume was your ancestor) married a Smith.  Alva had a brother, George that was in partnership with him part of the time.  I used to sing in a Quartet with some of George's descendants.  One of them worked at the mill about the time you visited there.  It was run by Fred Leach at the time and closed shortly after (or maybe it was a little before your visit).  If you ever get back here,  I'll introducee you to some of your kin :D :D

An interesting fact that you may or may not know is that Alva Hodgson put in a water powered generating plant around the fist WW and produced "Big Smith" overalls on the second story of Hodgsons mill. :)

captain_crunch

Bro. Noble
Kinda embarraseing that you know more about my ansestors than I do :D :D
But that be them Alva was my Greatgrandfather. Also heard there was a slew of Hodgsons in Tazwell County Ark.
Here is the pics of mill we have on wall here

Thanks for the Information
Brian

Bro. Noble

I don't know right off hand where Tazewell co. Ark. is although I used to live in Tazewell Co. Ill.  :D

Alva left Ozark Co. for a few years and ran a big sawmill near Harrison Arkansas,  but I don't think that's Tazewell Co.

I've got some stuff my friend wrote about the Hodgsons.  Seems like Alva's ancestors were millwrights too.  They came from N.C. I think.  I think he had information back to the 1700's.  He died last year and I don't know if his brother or sisters have any interest in family history or not.  Too bad he and your Mom didn't have contact.

Thank You Sponsors!