iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dust Collector Systems Questions

Started by DR Buck, December 12, 2009, 08:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'm looking at buying a new dust collector for my new (post & pictures to come in the near future)  woodworking shop and trying to decide how much pain (read that $$$) I can stand.   I'm leaning toward a cyclone  unit with a canister filter but still haven't decided on which one.   I have an 8' ceiling height and want the largest drum I can get.  JDS has a unit with a 55 gal drum that will fit but it's read pricey.  :o

How many of you have dust collectors with the pleated canisters?   Are they worth the extra money?   Have you had to replace one?  How long do they last?

What do you have for dust collection?   Would you change it for something else?  What and why?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

I have a 2HP Grizzly with the pleated canister filter with the handle at the top that you turn to clean the filter.  The handle rotates 360 degrees and agitates the pleats to clean the dust out to drop down in the collection bag.

I like this dust collector with the exception of having to dump the bag too often.  It is amazing how many shavings a planer can make!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DR Buck

QuoteI like this dust collector with the exception of having to dump the bag too often.  It is amazing how many shavings a planer can make!

That's why I want the largest container I can get and have it fit in my 8' ceiling shop. 

Ironwood

I blow mine outside. BUT, Go w/ Onieda pleated filters FOR SURE if you are serious about your health. They are the industry standard. They will work w/ you even if you didn't buy their cyclone and blower. I cant say enough good about them. You can find stuff used, but get the filters new and you will be very happy. I have several cyclone/ blowers here (for sale), but I am probably too far away. Look locally first for used, then new if you come up short. Onieda has several units that can be competetive if you really look at support and quality issues. The one is yellow I think and may be called "Gorilla". I do have a used Dustcop 55 gallon rolling cyclone unit (5 HP 3 ph, I think), it has three cans on rollers that just pop under the cyclone. It would need a pleated filter.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Brad_bb

FYI, I purchased a used Delta dust collector, and my uncle recommended I replace the upper exhaust air bag with a cartridge filter unit for cleaner air in the shop.  He turned me onto this website for buying conversion systems:
http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm
For good price on replaceable dust bags:
http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=dust+bags&x=42&y=9
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

We have an Oneida system with the pleated filter in our shop. I still wear a mask, as collectors don't seem to get all the dust. If you can, I'd blow into another room or outside into a bin.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Burlkraft

I also have an Oneida system. 5 hp with a 55 gallon drum. I can usually work in the shop all day without having to empty the barrel, unless I'm planing. I built a room on the back of my shop that holds the collector and my air compressor. Took all the noise out of the shop. I have a fan in the wall drawing the warm air from the compressor and the collector and blowing it back into the shop. I have the heat set a 65° and it stayed 70 in the shop all day with the collector running. I have the 5' external pleated filter. Same one for 3 years now. I clean it twice a year.  Was very happy with Oneida. I sent a diagram of the shop and they planned the piping and priced it for me. It worked out well even when I changed a couple of things, got the parts needed overnight. I couldn't be happier, the only problem I have is laying down my sandpaper or gloves near an outlet. I gotta dig through the drum for them  ;D  ;D  ;D  Here's a couple pics that I found

Why not just 1 pain free day?

DR Buck

Steve,

With the unit outside like you have it how do you know when the drum is full?  Does it just stop sucking?   If it overfills, I guess when you open the drum it just spills out on the floor?

Burlkraft

It will keep sucking and just start fillin' up the cyclone. And yup it just falls out and then ya gotta clean it up.

After ya use it a while you get a "feeling" when it's about full

WDH

Steve, your system looks like one of the best for a small/medium shop. 

The clear bags that I use will hold about 25 gallons by volume.  That 50 gallon drum would be so much better, and it looks like it is easy to dump.

Funny how much such a light thing as planer shavings can weigh  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tomsteve

i own a 1250 cfm shop fox( not a cyclone) and also got a 1 micron bag with it. i built a seperator using a 55 gallon plastic barrel and built a thien baffle for it. the seperarator works awesome with the thien baffle, the 1 miron bag works awesome, and i paid $300 for the collector and 1 micron bag.
     however, i have heard nothing but good about the pleated filters too.
     i did a lot of research on the d.c. and the plumbing for it and, to keep the cost down, used 6" ducting from the big orange store. i found a program online( www.harderwoods.com) that did all the calculationg for making my own wyes, as they are quite pricey. i also found some plans for shop made blast gates and they work great, too. dont know if i really saved any on the blast gates, but it was fun makin em.
     you might want to think about an air filter, which can also be made pretty easily with and old furnace blower and motor, and some good quality furnace filters.

Don_Papenburg

My presant dust collector is the floor .  You betcha I would switch to a better system  . I have one in the works now .  I plan to have a 6" pipe under the floor  and a 6" pipe in the attic each with their own blower  blasting the dust and shavings outside.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DR Buck

I spent far to much time on-line today reading reviews and specs on dust collectors.  I think I'm more confused now than before.   smiley_headscratch  

First thing I had to do was convert gallons to cubic feet so I could have a comparison of chip/dust capacity.  55 gallons (big drum) holds 7.35 cubic feet.   Many of the bag collectors hold 10 cubic feet per bag.

Most of the cyclone collectors that got good reviews are to tall for inside my shop and adding a room/shed on the outside is not a good option as the shop end of the house is the what you see first when you come up the driveway.  The JDS cyclone will fit, but the reviews are not all that positive.  Apparently the "compact" cyclone allows more chips and dust to get through to the filter canisters than a full size cyclone. Some of the reviews say this could shorten the filter life.   It's also $1800. smiley_thumbsdown

I'm now leaning toward the Powermatic DC1900 canister unit.   It's on sale for under $1000 and has free shipping.   Anyone using one of these or seen one in action?

tomsteve

i would still suggest a seperator. the one i built with the 55 gallon drum and the thien baffle i built cost $40. between that and the bags, thats a lot of cubic feet.
     and yes, it is confusing. i would suggest get what you can afford, run the ducting to machines with 6",  with blast gates at the machines. i ran 6" and put in a blast gate, then 4" flex hose to machines except t.s., which i ran 6" to. i sealed all joints and elbows with mesh drywall tape and duct sealant. very efficient system and works great.

DR Buck

I've gone full circle the past 3 days.   Now I'm back to considering the JDS again.   It's got the best airflow and chip capacity for physical size.   55 gal chip drum and only 86" tall.   2300 cfm and 16.2" static pressure.  Sounds like it will suck the chips off the board without needing planer knives.  :D

I still have to get over the $1800 price tag.    Probably will order it by Tuesday afternoon before I change my mind again or go crazy.

tomsteve

i was goin stir crazy with all the info out there, too :o. sounds like ya picked a good one. havent heard anything bad about JDS.
   after i got mine, then it was time to go stir crazy with deciding in the ducting. ;D

OneWithWood

DR - revisit the 'wannabe' thread.  The details of my dust collection system can be found there.  I don't worry much about my collection container filling up  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

D._Frederick

Any problem with static electicty? I get tired of getting bit when the air is dry.

DR Buck

Nice setup OWW but a little on the large size for my shop.     

I went on-line at 7:30 this morning and ordered the 3hp JDS cyclone.  Got a call from JDS at 10 AM and was told it shipped and it will be here tomorrow.  8)  I need to pick it up at the UPS freight terminal as they can not get their big trucks in my driveway.   Turns out the terminal is a 1/2 mile detour off of my normal daily commute.   :)

tomsteve

Quote from: D._Frederick on December 15, 2009, 09:22:05 PM
Any problem with static electicty? I get tired of getting bit when the air is dry.

from what i read and i will find out, if the duct work is metal then there wont be static buildup. if the ductwork is plastic, the static doesnt have any way to release itself, therefore grounding wires are necessary.

Burlkraft

Congrats Dave  8)  8)  8)

Have fun with the duct work.

One word of advise.....If there is even an hint that a piece is gonna leak, it will  ::)  ::)  ::)

Silicone and GOOD duct tape are your best friend  ;D  ;D

tomsteve

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 16, 2009, 10:07:06 AM
Congrats Dave  8)  8)  8)

Have fun with the duct work.

One word of advise.....If there is even an hint that a piece is gonna leak, it will  ::)  ::)  ::)

Silicone and GOOD duct tape are your best friend  ;D  ;D
even better is mesh drywall tape and duct sealant( mastic).

OneWithWood

Quote from: D._Frederick on December 15, 2009, 09:22:05 PM

I have not had any problems with static electricity. I did not run a ground wire. 
One With Wood

OneWithWood

Quote from: DR_Buck on December 15, 2009, 09:39:45 PM
Nice setup OWW but a little on the large size for my shop.    

Ooooh...my JMS is a ten tonner too!
You've got some catching up to do my friend  :D

However you did mount your MileMarker to your trailer and I am still contemplating it.  ::)
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!