iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time to see a flying Squirrel.

Started by Chris Burchfield, December 12, 2009, 04:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Mother in law had a large hickory in her front hard that was mostly dead. Found to be hollow when son cut a pie out of it on the fall side. Wind was blowing a little so I cabled it to the winch on my truck. Being hollow cut from the back toward the pie and used a couple of wedges. Every lick on the wedge would cause slack in the winch cable. Then a pop of the wood. Had son get out of the way and winched her on over. When it hit the ground it busted vermin I'd never seen before came out, at least half a dozen. Caught a couple of little males, put em in a jar for the granddaughter to see. I'm 51 yoa and had never seen them out in the wild. Cute, I thought. Pest is how they are described on the internet. Nocturnal in nature, they have fairly large bulging eyes to see good in the dark. Not that I'm a worldly person, as a sawyer or tree feller. Burning the fines of the limbs, reminded me of the hickory grilled chops Arkansawyer's wife fixed us when I stopped by for a little Arky 101 with the then, new mill. The rest is firewood.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

garyfg

I not seen one here in 45 years.Shot one hunting when I was a kid.

SwampDonkey

I've never seen one either. I know we have them. My uncle has seen them before. Not a common site for sure.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chico

Used to catch them as a kid they are still plentiful in the panhandle area of Fl if you know where to look they will eat you up tho if you don't catch them rt We would climb up put a sack over the hole and either smoke them out or beat on the tree and try to get them out once in a while we got a surprise as in a big old coon  in which case we dropped the sack Quick
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Magicman

The reason that you very seldom see them is that they wait until almost dark before "bailing" out of their nest.  And you really have to be looking then.  I've sawed dead trees down and woke them up.  WM blades will just skim right through them..... :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HOOF-ER

Saw my first 2 in the wild a couple of years ago.
Dropped a big black oak that was hollow. They kept running up and down the  log then back to the stump looking for the tree.  :-\  Kinda made me feel bad. The cool part was I was on a ridge about 30-40' up and the one flew to the bottom by the creek.  :o Went over a hundred feet I would guess. Neat to see.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

sprucebunny

They come to my birdfeeder at night. I took a picture of them one time but the flash must really hurt thier Big eyes !! They're cool  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WH_Conley

Used to real common in the "out houses" around here. 50 years ago, guess that was what made the bushes popular. :o
Bill

Chuck White

Used to have a family of 5 (I think) come to the window sill bird feeder during the night.
They would glide down from the hill, to a power pole near the road, then they would glide to the corner of the house and go along the siding to the feeder, and once they had their fill, they would work their way back home!

They were neat to watch and didn't seem to be afraid either!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KyTreeFarmer

Anybody wants one can come catch them out of my roof. Free "all you can catch". Cute but definitely pests in my book.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

fishpharmer

I had one crawl across me in my sleep when I was camping.  Ii woke me and I thought it was a rat or mouse.  I slapped it with my hand, turned the light on and found a pitiful looking little flying squirrel.  I put him in a container only to find it dead in the morning.  My hands are now registered as lethal weapons in the flying squirrel world. ;D

I did a little search and found a neat web page with lots of different flying squirrel species if your interested.....
http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/World/world.html
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 13, 2009, 01:41:00 AM
I had one crawl across me in my sleep when I was camping. 

Better than porcupines chewing on your tires and fiberglass tent rods or rabbits kicking at the side walls of your tent. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

That web page says that our Northern Flying Squirrels are endangered. Sad. Besides the obvious loss of habitatat to housing developments, I wonder what has caused that ? Red squirrels are certainly plentiful ....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

petefrom bearswamp

Had an abundance of them where I used to live.
My cat would catch them and leave the stomachs and tails on our doormat for us to admire after feasting on the rest.
If we were outside at dusk we would sometimes have them glide over our heads.
Only saw 1 once in my  28 year career as a forester while in the woods during daylight hours when I knocked on a hollow beech to determine the amount of defect.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kelLOGg

My wife & I were staying at a rustic B&B in the NC mountains years ago where we heard faint rustling followed by a flying squirrel coming down the steps. It rested on the rockers of a rocking chair. We found it quite amusing and only after observing it for several minutes did we realize it was a flying squirrel. We watched it scamper to the door and exit. We told the innkeepers thinking the "added attraction" was cool. There were very relieved that we we the ones it visited ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

When they build a nest in a telephone terminal, they make a mess.  'Bout will make you jump off of a pole when you lift the lid and they "fly" out in your face.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Johnson

We get them showing up at night on our bird feeder mainly in the winter. They usually "fly" in from the forest across the street. The bird feeder is approximately 2' x 3' so they have plenty of deck to land on.
Bill

KyTreeFarmer

Hey Magicman.....just like all the birds, wasps, snakes, mice and other assorted critters.....job hazard!!!
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Magicman

Quote from: KyTreeFarmer on December 14, 2009, 10:05:56 AM
Hey Magicman.....just like all the birds, wasps, snakes, mice and other assorted critters.....job hazard!!!
KTF

Yup, a hazard for them, cause I haven't heard that Lombardini's rpm's slow up a bit yet.  I hate it, but "stuff" happens..... I make smiley_angel02_wings out of them... :'(

scsmith42

Man, when I read the title I thought that this string was going to be about Air Force 2 flying overhead...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

That would be squirrely, but the ones on this thread know where they are going..... ;D ;D ;D

Chris Burchfield

Would not of dreamed this thread would be so read. Now the rest of the story. While I was asleep, one of the vermin ate through the plastic coffee container and is loose somewhere in the house. The cats were stalking big game now and it's open season. The survivor was transfered to another vessel. Eldest son stopped by and was asked to return him to his home. Eldest forgot to get him out of his 2008 Ram. That vermin also ate a hole and got out of the container, ate through a styrofoam container and snacked on cream brulie left overs. Then into a mocha coffee spilling the rest then relieving himself on a new JCrew cataloge. For me, Kroger ran Black Angus Sirloin on sale for $2.97 lb. I bought a whole knuckle in the bag, cut two lbs of stew meat and seven 1 1/2" thick steaks. One of which I marinaded yesterday afternoon. Put two pieces of freshly split hickory between the burners of the grill and the grate. The meat was grilled to perfection and consumed with baked potato, Sour Dough bread that had been buttered and garlic salted. Pack of mushrooms that got happy with a stick of butter, can of Bud Light and also garlic salt. I was so full when I went to bed, I wasn't worried about the loose vermin. I have three cats in the house.  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on December 14, 2009, 08:34:51 PM
For me, Kroger ran Black Angus Sirloin on sale for $2.97 lb. I bought a whole knuckle in the bag, cut two lbs of stew meet and seven 1 1/2" thick steaks. One of which I marinaded yesterday afternoon. Put two pieces of freshly split hickory between the burners of the grill and the grate. The meat was grilled to perfection and consumed with baked potato, Sour Dough bread that had been buttered and garlic salted. Pack of mushrooms that got happy with a stick of butter, can of Bud Light and also garlic salt. I was so full when I went to bed, I wasn't worried about the loose vermin. I have three cats in the house.  :D :D :D

Talk about being a good read.......now it's made the full circle to FOOD.... digin_2..... :D

SwampDonkey

I expected to see squirrel as an appetizer. :D :D

Magicman

Yup,  They'd just be "flying" off of the plate..... :D

Thank You Sponsors!