iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is a pineapple ripe?

Started by Sprucegum, December 12, 2009, 01:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

How do you tell when a pineapple is just right for eating?

Do you look at the leaves? the thorns? poke the little flat bottom?

WildDog

Sprucegum my wife always picks a good one, I just woke her up to ask, she said, "When one of the centre leaves pulls out easily they are ripe to eat."
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Sprucegum

Thanks WildDog  8)

If I woke my wife up to ask her a question like that I don't think I'd be getting any pineapple  :-X  :-*  :D

WildDog

QuoteIf I woke my wife up to ask her a question like that I don't think I'd be getting any pineapple     

I just told her what you said and can here her laughing in the bedroom, Nicky said she owes me anyway, I went out at 4 am to a fox at her fowl coop.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

D Hagens

Quote from: Sprucegum on December 12, 2009, 02:26:36 PM
Thanks WildDog  8)

If I woke my wife up to ask her a question like that I don't think I'd be getting any pineapple  :-X  :-*  :D

Speaking of waking up the wife, guess after 12, maybe I should roll her over again so she won't get bed sores. ;D

Besides being a bad cook she sleeps lots too!

SwampDonkey

I find if the skin is still green with a little yellowing it's ripe. If it's got a reddish tinge it's going rotten.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

SwampDonkey:

We have both the normal color and a red pineapple here , sorry no photos and not in season.    I simply push my finger against them and if they appear soft they are ripe.

Another note, my wife is allergic to pineapple and it almost killed her.  I have no problem and love it both as juice and sliced.

Roxie

I agree with Wildogs wife, when the leaves let go easily.
Say when

Tom

Here is a Pineapple article for those who are interested: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pineapple.html

Pineapples are famously associated with Hawaii. But Florida had a pineapple boon and was marketing the "Sweetest Pineapples in the World".  They were coming from the sand ridge that runs down the east coast of florida from Indian River county to West Palm.  The Ridge is prominant in St. Lucie County and the aquafier that runs beneath it, providing almost pure water, surfaces in the Savanahs to form a slow moving, freshwater marshland.  The Florida East Coast Railroad runs down the top of the ridge and farms sprouted up on either side.  It was found that pineapples grown here were large and sweet.  A farmer of Ft. Pierce by the name of Platt was instrumental in marketing the pineapple to world with great success until after WWII.

Fruit Grown from this ridge (citrus, pineapple, et al) in the Indian River Area became famous and has carried the reputation of sweetness and held a marketing edge on much fruit from the rest of the world.

http://fcit.usf.edu/FLORIDA/3d/agric2/agric202.htm

SwampDonkey

Local Seven Day Adventist church gets its citrus from Indian River, has for years. My grandparents and now my uncle have bought from them in winter months. Our best tasting pineapples we get in stores come from Costa Rica under the Dole brand.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

I pulled on a leaf and it came out easily. The flesh was also a bit soft so I brought it home  8) Now I am sitting here by the roaring fire, its still -35 outside, eating pineapple from half way around the world  8) Yep, just doing what I can to help out global warming  ::)  ;D

Mooseherder

I went outside to get a picture of our Pineapple Plant started from cutting the top off a store bought Pineapple.  It has been in the pot for abouth 4 months.  This is the second one we have grown.  We did get a small pineapple from the last one a few years ago.  I should have put something in the picture
to show the scale of this plant.  That is a big pot right there that I wouldn't be able to pick up.  I can roll it though. ;)

SwampDonkey

I've never tried it. Mine usually end up tossed out as compost for the lawn.  ;D This time of year they go petrified to. :D

Nice looking pineapple. Suppose she'll bear forth fruit?  :)

Mooseherder

If it does you know I'll post a picture. :D

Brad_S.

I just toured the Dole Plantation about 5 weeks ago. That's how they propagate pineapples too. They get a total of 3 pineapples per plant. First one takes 20 months to mature, second one takes 15 months and the 3rd will take about a year then the plant is done. I don't know about pollination though?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

Which Plantation ???  Where were you ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Brad_S.

I toured the plantation on Oahu, Hawaii. They have a miniature train that runs out to the fields and as you travel, you learn all sorts of tidbits about pineapples and pineapple production. They also have a garden with specimens of all the different types of pineapples available in the world. A bit of a tourist trap but interesting nonetheless.
One of the tidbits I learned that is relevant to this thread is that pineapples are picked at the peak of their ripeness and do not ripen any further after they are cut from the plant. If that is true, then when we are able to pull the leaves or poke the flesh, it must indicate the pineapple is beginning to spoil. I make no claims of being a pineapple expert, only repeating what I learned at the plantation.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Raider Bill

I stayed a few days near a pineapple plantation in costa rica a few years ago while rafting. Couple workers gave me the nickel tour pretty impressive. The wind would blow the smell across where we were staying. esspecially at night, Very nice!
Ate lot's of fresh fruit there 8)
I like mine just a bit past ripe and room temp.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

jim king

I passed thru a local market this morning coming from the mill and was surprised to see pineapples.  These are very ripe.  You can see a couple peeled for sale also.  These are extremley sweet also.

ErikC

Quote from: Brad_S. on December 14, 2009, 07:36:29 AM
I toured the plantation on Oahu, Hawaii. They have a miniature train that runs out to the fields and as you travel, you learn all sorts of tidbits about pineapples and pineapple production. They also have a garden with specimens of all the different types of pineapples available in the world. A bit of a tourist trap but interesting nonetheless.
One of the tidbits I learned that is relevant to this thread is that pineapples are picked at the peak of their ripeness and do not ripen any further after they are cut from the plant. If that is true, then when we are able to pull the leaves or poke the flesh, it must indicate the pineapple is beginning to spoil. I make no claims of being a pineapple expert, only repeating what I learned at the plantation.

We went there a few years back. As you said, a bit of a tourist trap, but as gardeners we also found it pretty interesting. Good pineapple ice cream too.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!