iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Weather Cooking

Started by Norm, December 12, 2009, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Well since the weather has taken a turn for the worse I've had to change our diet some. Gone are the ribs, brisket, steaks and such that I so enjoy made over an open fire on the barbecue. Now I could still cook outdoors but the fun is gone when you have to shovel a 6' snowdrift to find the grill.  :D

I was rummaging in the freezer and happened across this little guy.

I thought considering the weather it seemed appropriate to cook beings it was as frozen as we were.  :D

I'll turn this into chicken and dumplings for supper with a cheeseburger for an appetizer. Need to keep a little extra fat on me for insulation. ;D

What's your favorite home cooked meal in the winter?

Sprucegum

My Dear Wife is baking Christmas cookies. The first dozen came out less-than-perfect so she gave them to me
   8)   8)   8)

Since the oven is hot anyway she will probably roast a ham for supper. Its -34 out with a wind blowing so I'm just waiting by the stove  ;)

Magicman

Gotta be a pot of soup or chili......With yellow cornbread..... :)

OK, I know I already ate that cornbread with soul food, but she will bake some more.... musteat_1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

Ox tail or lamb rosset (neck) broth with cellery, carrot, onion, vegemite and plenty of pearl barley.....its summer down here atm so no pics.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Paul_H

I like the barley soups too,whether it is beef or mutton with good homemade bread and butter on the side.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mooseherder

I like making Beef Stew and my wife makes a purty DanG good Chicken Stew.
Maybe I can talk her into going to get the ingredients to make one or the other today.
It ain't that cold here buts we still likes to eat. :D

WH_Conley

Pot of beans are in the sauna as we speak, potatoes are thinking about the skillett, greens wanting out of their jail, corn meal asking to be warmed up, hot kraut wanting to join in. Anybody want to find me tomorrow, just look for the fat guy with the pleased look on his face. Wear a clothes pin. :D
Bill

sprucebunny

I love roast chicken ! Side of green beans or a winter squash. Leftovers from that are usually chicken soup with scallions and spinach.
Another favorite is rot post...I mean pot roast  ;D

Baked pork shoulder> 'spare ribs' or Portugese style braised pork with tons of paprika, garlic and white wine.

The oven helps heat the house  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Venison stew with cornbread.  Chicken pie with cornbread.  Cornbread with cornbread  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WH_Conley

OK tex. What you callin pot liquor?
Bill

DanG

One of our wintertime faves is what Linda calls "Three Thigh Thoup". :D  Just boil 3 big ol' chicken hips until they're falling off the bone, then throw in whatever veggies you happen to have, along with plenty of diced taters and a bunch of onion.  Sometimes she'll use rice or noodles instead of the taters.

Bill, pot liquor is the juice that is left after cooking greens.  I save the stuff and drink it like coffee.  That'll really warm yer innards on a cold day! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Chicken Pot Pie (the kind with dumplings and a crust on it).  My favorite on a snowed in day.

Chili Con Carne over home fried taters with corn bread

Meat Loaf, mashed taters, gravy and corn with buttermilk biscuits

Spagetthi and meatballs with tossed salad and garlic bread

Pork Roast with sauerkraut, mashed taters and applesauce

Say when

fishpharmer

Quote from: DanG on December 12, 2009, 10:41:24 PM
Bill, pot liquor is the juice that is left after cooking greens.  I save the stuff and drink it like coffee.  That'll really warm yer innards on a cold day! :)
I do that too DanG.  Or sometimes I drink it first and eat the greens after.  Here is some turnip greens and what's left of the pot liquor......hmmm good.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WildDog

QuoteBill, pot liquor is the juice that is left after cooking greens.  I save the stuff and drink it like coffee.  That'll really warm yer innards on a cold day!

As a kid dad used to have us drink the juice after boiling spinach, I have never heard of anyone else drinking it before untill now and thought our family must have been different.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Kansas

To me, cold weather cooking means its time to pull out the crockpot. Beef and veggie stew, ham and bean soup, anything substantial that will be there waiting at the end of the day. If I don't have much time in the morning, then something as simple as tossing in some butterfly pork chops and smother with BBQ sauce.

dail_h

Brown beans n ramps cooked in the crockpot,hot yeller cornbread,scalding hot black coffee
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

WH_Conley

QuoteBrown beans n ramps cooked in the crockpot,hot yeller cornbread,scalding hot black coffee

Gotta add a little more to it than that.

Home grown Horticulture beans, Fried Saurkraut, Fried Potatoes and the yeller corn bread, with an onion on the side (guess ramps will do). All cooked in the grease of a jowl bacon, gotta be cooked in the beans too.

Can't ya just hear those artery's plugging now?
Bill

jdtuttle

I love a good old fashioned pot roast. I sear the meat in butter & garlic, add water & a bay leaf then cook for a couple hours. It goes great with mashed potatoes and I always make gravy with the drippings. A side of vegetables too ;D
Only 6:30am & can't wait to eat dinner after reading this thread ;)
Have a great day

Burlkraft

I am smoking a LARGE brisket today

It's 7° out and the BGE is holdin' her own at 250°

About 7 more hours and it'll seem just like July  :D  :D  :D

Only we won't be eatin' on the deck!

I love grillin' with my Carhart's on  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Ok we need details like what kind of rub, mustard, fat side up or down, your address..... ;D

Burlkraft

Sorry ta keep ya hangin' Norm.

I went in to the office today and just let her cook. Just got home and peeked  ;D  ;D  ;D

Looks scrumptious  digin_2 digin_2

I use a mix of my own, first a good soaking in whorechester sauce and then the secret rub which has sea salt, black pepper, green and red chilies, cinnamon, and some sage and dried basil.

I put the fat side up on foil. I rubbed both sides.

It's juicy and prolly pretty tender by now.

The BGE did pretty good. All day on one load of charcoal and mesquite. I don't think it got over 10° all day outside and the egg was still at 250° when I got home. I do have it out of the wind tho....

Now I just gotta stay out of it till Jill gets home  :-\ :-\

Reddog

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 16, 2009, 10:04:02 AM

Why not, no skeeters this time of year. :)

Burlkraft

Quote from: Reddog on December 16, 2009, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: Burlkraft on December 16, 2009, 10:04:02 AM

Why not, no skeeters this time of year. :)

SNOW SNAKES!!!   :D  :D

Norm

Well I'll give you a big thumbs up for braving the cold but I'm just a bit disappointed that no offer of overnighting me some of that brisket.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!