iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pettibone 501 skidder info

Started by barbender, December 11, 2009, 11:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm looking at a late 70's model Pettibone 501 cable skidder, 3-53 detroit, gearmatic winch. It looks pretty basic, like the old timberjacks I have run. Any concerns or problem areas on these machines? You don't see many of these, even though I think they were made in Duluth,MN. In fact, this is the only pettibone skidder I have seen in person. Any info anyone has is appreciated.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

C'mon you guys...someone on here has to know something about these machines ???

maple flats

Years ago there was a Pettibone factory in Rome, NY. I know they made some heavy equipment, big fork lifts and cranes, but do not know if it included skidders.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Mark K

They made skidders there. There are a handful still around here. Look pretty simple like older timberjacks and treefarmers.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

barbender

That's what I thought too- looks like an old tree farmer or timberjack, pretty simple.

240b

just make sure you can get parts for it. including those "special" Pettibone parts. there is most likey at least one oddball part which is next to impossible to get.

barbender

That's what I'm leary of 240b, with the old timberjacks and tree farmers, there are lots of them sitting around in folk's backyards being parted out, but I've never seen one of these machines around. I'm just afraid, say the transmission is Pettibone specific or something like that. It could be impossible to get parts for.

Ron Scott

Yes, that could be problematic. The last one that I had anything to do with was about 1970. It had an Allison transmission and it was a problem machine compared to the Timberjack.
~Ron

barbender

This one has a manual 4 speed, I don't know what make. I'm considering this machine because mainly because it is so clean, I have never seen an old skidder as straight as this one. Original paint, no dents in the metal, no cracks or leaks that I can see. It even has a couple of decals on it still, it is the "Mountain Goat" model and has a goat sticker on it :) I need to have the owner fire it up and see if everything works right, winch, brakes etc. The price is right and it is small enough, I think I can haul it on my gooseneck trailer, I would guess it to weigh 12- 14,000 lbs.

LOGDOG

Barbender,

Call up to the headquarters in Baraga, MI. You can see the Pettibone lift in my gallery. After I bought it, I called up to the factory and got the complete parts and service manual and found that all parts are readily available. NOT cheap ...but available. Sometimes you find with these older machines that a part or two can cost as much as the whole machine. Then you have to wonder if it's worth putting that kind of money into parts for that machine. But I've enjoyed mine. It's the second Pettibone I've had.

LOGDOG

IMOWOOD

A freind of mine mad two at one time. . . .from what i understand they were good machines, i think they both had detroits in them.  about the size of a 440a/b same approx. hp and pulling abbility, and simple i guess.  this is just what i know from "shootin the [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better]".  I dont know about getting parts though,  but pritty much any thing that is mated to a converter motor can be found at any auto/heavy truck store.

barbender

Well, the only way I figured I could learn a lot about this Pettibone is if I bought it and go pull some wood with it. So I bought it today, I'll pick it up on Friday and go pull some Red Oak firewood with it.  I'll get some pics up soon. I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store  8)

Bobus2003

Does it have a Blade or the Log Loader on the front?

barbender

It has a blade- it's a real basic machine, one thing that I noticed that is different than a tree farmer or TJ is it oscillates in the rear frame instead of the front axle pin. Both the axles are fixed to the frame, if that makes sense without pics. I'll go try it out tomorrow, I haven't brought it home yet because where I bought it is by the job I'm doing.

Reddog

Quote from: barbender on December 31, 2009, 09:55:40 PM
it oscillates in the rear frame instead of the front axle pin. Both the axles are fixed to the frame

Iron mules are the same way, as are a lot of forwarders.
I think one called Mountain logger from out west may have been that way also on the early models.

barbender

Yep Reddog- I've noticed most forwarders and harvesters are that way, never seen an Iron Mule in person. Hopefully it's not too cold to get it started tomorrow, I can see how everything works.

beenthere

barbender
Too cold?  -2° tomorrow and -29° tomorrow night.  :o :o

Sounds like some cold to me.  ;D

Good luck with starting it up.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

barbender

The guy's at Ponsse, where I bought the machine, are friends and were having a little fun with my wife, Jen, cause she wasn't real hot on this purchase. I ended up starting the wood hauling job this week so Jen had to go drop off the check for me, they took a picture of her with the machine and you'll notice the "Jen's" above the speed skidder logo :)

barbender

barbender

stonebroke

So somebody traded it in on a Ponsse, Somebody really upgraded.

Stonebroke

barbender

Right! Actually, they traded a few pieces in on a Ponsse processor head.

Rob-IL

Looks early 80s to me. I once owned one of the last (if not the last) 501L Pettibone's built. I believe it was an 82 model, built almost identical but you could only get on from the left side as the lift controls were on the right. Will try to post a picture of it.
I grew up around logging but chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic for several years. Later in life my interest changed so my cousin and myself went into logging on our own in 1988.

barbender

I'd like to see those pics. This is a 79 model. How did you like yours Rob IL?

Thank You Sponsors!