iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle operators wondering how your kiln works in the end of cycle

Started by Kelvin, December 08, 2009, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

opps I was wrong. I was thinking about during the regular cycle not the end when heating up. Danny is right, I didn't read whole title.  :-[
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Dave,

The newer units operate off of dry bulb and wet bulb set-points, not compressor run time.  The wet bulb is a probe with a wet wick over it, kinda like a hollow shoe string.  It is coiled in a water bottle, and the wick pulls water out of the bottle and keeps the probe wet.  The evaporation of water off the wick lowers the temperature measured by the probe.  The dry bulb is the air temp in the kiln.  The difference between the dry bulb and wet bulb temps is called the wet bulb depression.  This lets you know the humidity in the kiln.  The wood is dried based on temperature and humidity control.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

Hi Guys
There is a lot in this thread to answer.
1) the kiln must be tight or it will effect your drying.
2) Once you get below 10% your drying rate will slow down alot with hardwoods.
3)If your wood stops drying after you get below 25%, it may be due to case hardening or just because it isn't uncommon in hardwoods. To fix this I recommend turning your compressor off, turning your heat up to 140°f and dumping 5 gallons of water on the floor. After you reach 140°f wait 24 hours for 4/4, then turn your temperature down to 120°f and return to drying. This should help break free the remaining moisture. For 4/4 it also means that you have sterilized the load.

If you have any questions about this call me at Nyle 800-777-6953 Ext 212
Thanks Stan

ps I met Gene a number of years ago and found him to be a great guy as well as smart.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WDH

Stan,

You have been a great resource for me, and I appreciate what you do.  My Nyle 53 is a little lumber drying beast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

Stan, would you just double the time on 8/4 lumber or would it take more?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

K-Guy

xlogger
The general rule is multiply the drying time by 2.5 times per inch of additional thickness.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!