iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Very high priced firewood.

Started by fishpharmer, December 07, 2009, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

I was at the farm supply store last Saturday.  Found this on display.  Just let me know how many you want, I'll place an order :D :D  You pay shipping.

At first I thought the top might open.  It was really just a fake seam, a painted line.

That really is a creative use for oak firewood and I bet someone will buy it.  Just not me ;D

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Folks on the Eastern side of the state either are more creative or have more money than us Western siders...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

They call that value added.  Someone took something that another person would have whacked into firewood and finished it.  It looks like it would make a nice bench on someone's porch. 

It seems cheap, considering the amount of time that was probably put into it.  We have a guy around here that takes stuff you wouldn't burn and makes tables and clocks and the like.  Its a full time thing and he charges way more than that.

People will spend a lot of money on things that are very unique and nicely done. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dodgy Loner

I was thinking the same thing, Ron. Looks very inexpensive compared to the amount of work that must have gone into it. I wouldn't mind having something like that, if it didn't have "WELCOME" engraved into it and the fake seam line. That would get me a discount, right? ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

fishpharmer

MM, not sure about the money part.  We are more creative ;) :D

Ron and Dodgy, you bring up some good points that I should of taken into account.  There probably was a lot of finish work that went into the piece.  I would not mind having something like it.  I am just too cheap or poor to buy one.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

I can see how all that scribbling on it probably came about.  A guy makes himself a nice sitten' stump for the porch.  Wifey walks by and says, " What's that stump doing on the porch?"

"It's not  a stump. It's a bench," he says.

The wife points out that, " a bench has feet, whereas his stump has no feet."  So he tromps out to the shed to get the chainsaw to hack some feet into it.

Then wifey comes back and says "Why is that stump with feet on my porch?"

"It's not a stump with feet.  It's a bench," says the guy.

The wife points out that a bench should have a lid so you can store stuff inside of it to keep the porch looking nice.

So the guy tromps out to the shop for the router so he can carve a fake lid on top of his stump. ::) Having a creative flash of genious  smiley_idea, he also carves "Welcome" into the stump hoping to score some extra points with Wifey.

A bit later, Wifey walks by and mentions that although the "welcome" sign does add a bit of class and safistication to the stump, it is not yet a bench because if she sits down she'll get splinters in her backside because there is no finish on it.

So the heads off to the shop to sand and finish his stump.  At ths point, he has so much time and effort into his stump that he feels he should try to sell it so that all the time he put into the stump would not have been wasted. ::)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

brdmkr

I wouldn't buy it, but I would sure like to build one.  That would make a great porch bench.  I suspect that I have a log that would work too.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

James P.

hey James, next time your there, measure it. I like it.

fishpharmer

Metalspinner :D

I agree brdmkr.

James P. , just guessing, its probably 36-40".  And no, I don't think it will fit in a flat rate box :) ;)

Meadows Miller

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 09, 2009, 06:40:06 AM
MM, not sure about the money part.  We are more creative ;) :D
Quote from: brdmkr on December 09, 2009, 11:05:58 AM
I wouldn't buy it, but I would sure like to build one.  That would make a great porch bench.  I suspect that I have a log that would work too.
I would not mind having something like it.  I am just too cheap or poor to buy one.

Theres the solution to the problem James  ;)  :D ;D ;D Brdmkr's got the rite idea  ;) ;D ;D 8) Im pretty sure you have a log sitting around home there somewhere Mate  ;)

That would be cheap down in the city in australia I slabed and planed a huge one o them in greybox for my mate yesterday14' long  2'2 wide at the smallend and 4' at the butt and itll stand about 2'4" high once we tip it over and put a flat spot on the bottom  ;) Its going to be a coffie table but we are going to have to lift it into place with the loader when he gets his gamesroom/sleepout done  ;) 8) hows that for a firewood table we got halfway through sawing 8x8s and 5x5s  out of this rough log and paul decided it was alittle rough  for posts ??? and I jokingly said what about a bench mate  ???  then he said nah we'll polish it up and put it inside  :o I just said it wont be coming out again unless you cut er into foot blocks ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D ill get some pics when dads finnising it off and we put into place sometime over the next 12 months  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

fishpharmer

Chris, thats a whopper of a coffee table.  I look forward to the pictures. 8) 8)  which mill did you use for that? The Lucas? 

Meadows Miller

Yeah Mate I used the lucas then when we decided to to make it into a bench/coffee table  :) :D i ran down home and grabed the planning disk and whacked it on and dressed the top up so dad just has to sand it  after i level the bottom off it proboly weighs in at around the 4500lb mark ;) ;D 8) We are going to have to put it inlace before the walls go up  :) ;) :D :D :D It probobly wont go in for about another 12 months  ;)

Ive got afew pics of it ill try posting in the next few days  ;D

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!