iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmi JL 351 P

Started by Klicker, December 30, 2016, 07:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klicker

I need to replace the cable on my winchI can get a good price on a5/8 cable but can't find out how long it will take. Has any one tried this size on there winch
2006 LT 40 HD

thecfarm

First off what kind and model winch you got?
I can run I think 150 feet on my Norse winch. All there is on mine is just a hole for the end of the cable to go into and a set screw. That set screw is not designed to hold the cable in place while winching. I always keep 3-4 wraps around the drum.
It's hard to walk a straight line through the woods with 150 feet cable.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Klicker

sorry I posted this on my phone. It was suppose to say Farmi JL 351 P
2006 LT 40 HD

thecfarm

I also missed the 5/8 inch.
We tried ½ inch on the Norse,which is smaller than the 5/8 that you want to try.It did not like it.The drum is too small on mine winch,when we released it to drop the twitch. It would get loose on the drum,than when we went to winch the cable in,if we did not pull the cable out enough where it was loose against the drum,than one wrap would get under another wrap and we would have to pull it out with the tractor. It was just too much of a bother. Back to the 3/8 and the problems went away due to the bigger cable.
I think the drum on a Farmi is just about the same size. The cable that we used was just to sniff to stay tight against the drum without a load on it.
And you can fix the Frami thing too. There is a Modify button on the top and bottom right hand corner. The top will give you the smileys option,the bottom one is only the post.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Klicker

Thanks I thought I should be able to change it. I never thought about the thickness of the cable on the size of the drum. I was thinking the bigger the longer it will take to break. While trying to get as long as reach as I could.
2006 LT 40 HD

John Mc

Standard is 165' of 3/8 cable. 10mm Cable (.394") will also work well. Their spec page also mentions that you can use up to 295 ft of 5/16".

I would not attempt 5/8" or even 1/2" on the Farmi 351. As others have mentioned, it's an issue for spooling up the cable on that small drum (if you can even attach the end to the drum - I'm not sure what their attach method looks like). Further, I'm not sure why you would want to lug around 5/8" cable if you didn't have to, especially on a winch rater for 7,700 # pull. 5/8" cable weighs almost 3 times as much as 3/8".
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

BTW, are you looking for swaged cable? It seems to hold up better in the woods, and winds on and off the drum better. I just replaced the cable on my Uniforest 35E winch. (The old one had a major kink right in the middle of its length, so has now been cut up and retired to a less demanding use on our obstacle course.)

The swaging on the replacement cable seems much better than what was originally on there. It winds and unwinds better, and the surface is smoother. It took a bit of digging to get the right cable at the full 230 ft that will fit on my drum, and it cost a good bit more than the generic 3/8 cable I could find on Amazon or Ebay, but it was worth it
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!