iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Critters" that you've sawed

Started by Magicman, December 06, 2009, 03:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Looking at another thread, I started counting up the critters that I remember sawing.  Not even counting those wood grubs and sawyers.

Frogs
Snakes
Lizards
Bats
Flying squirrels
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

I've never sawed into any critters.  I've had a few mice that have escaped the blade, and managed to run out the log and onto the boards.

I did have a groundhog run across my foot while I was working on a circle handmill.  He ran down into the dust pit and missed the saw.

I talked to one guy that hit a possum in a log.  That one stopped the saw pretty DanG quick.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

treecyclers

While in AZ, I cut:
Roaches
Termites
Bees (They got REALLY mad)
Scorpions
and a little "Urbanite" (AKA Concrete)
Oh, and don't forget the occasional Black Widow!
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Tom

I've cut up snakes, frogs, bumblebees and chased a few larger animals out before the blade got to them, but it always made me feel so bad to kill something that I had to quit sawing.  Shooting one with a gun seems to be "Fair" but when they are huddled in their homey little cubbyhole, trying to get away from the noises, it seems to be the wrong thing for them to die in two pieces.  :(

Weekend_Sawyer

I never hit anything but bugs in a log but I did once drop a tree on a squirrel. Guess he decided to bail out too late.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2009, 04:43:06 PM
but it always made me feel so bad to kill something.......when they are huddled in their homey little cubbyhole, trying to get away from the noises, it seems to be the wrong thing for them to die in two pieces.  :(

I know that feeling Tom.  I always hate it, but "stuff" does happen.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Bee's nest!
Don't know if I actually got any of them, but the ones that flew were really P.O.'d!  8)
Bee's can really cause a guy to move faster than even he thought he could!  ;)
Makes you stop the carriage and let them have the mill for a while!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

zopi

sawed a cow once.

But that was on a different bandsaw... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

VictorH

Like Zopi- several cows, chickens, pigs, etc.  vertical mill.  Wish I had kept it when we closed the market.  Would make a nice resaw  :D :D

GT

Never sawed anything biger than a grub, but I was sawing couple of days ago and the dogs chased a rabbit through the mill shed. Back in the spring I found a hickory tree back in the woods and had honey bees in it . I told the family if they are still there we will rob it this winter. A storm came through and put the tree on the ground this summer and they were still there. About 2 weeks ago i cut the log and left the part at the bottom where they were at. Saturday I cut the part they were in and carried it to the house with the bobcat, and this morning i split it open and we now have fresh honey.GT

ljmathias

So what kind of lumber do you get from each of these?  And do you have to quarter saw or can you just go for grade?  Sure like to see some pictures of the results- we do love pictures here.... then again, on second thought, maybe not.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Meadows Miller

Gday

My mates dad cut a goanna in half once when whe where out the bush cutting firewood when we where about 7yo  :o ;) :D :D

apart from that not mutch on a sawmill apart from wood grubs ,termites and the odd rotten oster and muscels i can tell you they dont smell to crash hot  :o  ;) :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Stan snider

Chris: I'm pretty sure i have never cut a goanna in two or at least didn't know what it was if I did!  What in the world is a goanna anyway??? ::)  Stan

HOOF-ER

Instead of asking , had to look that one up Chris. Inquiring minds want to know. Now I know they are types of monitor lizards.  ;)
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

paul case

did youall cut a cow up by accident? i cant picture it getting in the blade and you not noticing it im certain that if you cut meat with a wood cutting blsde the fragments may pollute the meat as well as it being torn to shreds. this is the only real stupid question. how do ya dog down a hog to saw it? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

VictorH

Actually PC, looking back the blades we used on that meat saw were nearly as aggressive as these 10* I'm using now.  Think bone.  T-bone, leg bone, pork chops -   :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Stan and Hoffer We get em upto about 6' long  around home here but they keep to em selfs  out the bush ive only seen about  a half a dozen in my life mainly just crossing bush roads and when i use to spend alot of time out the bush helping dad and my cousins bark posts and cutting fire wood in the late 80s to the late 90s  ;) ;D 8) 8)

MMMMM  digin_2 digin_2 musteat_1 musteat_1 food2 food2 I love a good bit of meat  Victor  ;) ;D  8) 8) 8) That reminds Me ive also helped a sawmiller  i use to work for section up a cow in a breast bench once  ;) ;D see you can use circs for that to  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

rickywashere

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2009, 04:43:06 PM
I've cut up snakes, frogs, bumblebees and chased a few larger animals out before the blade got to them, but it always made me feel so bad to kill something that I had to quit sawing.  Shooting one with a gun seems to be "Fair" but when they are huddled in their homey little cubbyhole, trying to get away from the noises, it seems to be the wrong thing for them to die in two pieces.  :(

i have to agree except the snakes i will rid the world of every one i can...... but i have ran across some

Snakes
Lizards
Flying squirrels
grubs
and mice by the family

Lud

As a kid, in'58,  the first winter in the old farm house I still live in, we killed 253 snakes due to the open stone foundation.  Mom had us mortar it up that next summer ,  you can bet!

So began a lifetime habit of If I see'em I kill'em.  I appreciate snakes are part of the ecology, fill a niche, etc.,  but only the invisible snakes get to do that around here.  Don't see many.......figure I've been improving the species! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

bandmiller2

Never hit anything outher than ants guess the varments are faster than I am.what used to bother me is mowing with the sickle bar mower in tall grass.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Fla._Deadheader

Catfish, brown eel.  ::) 8) 8) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

geohayes7

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must, like men,undergo the fatigues of supporting it"....Thomas Paine

Fla._Deadheader

Nope. Lots of Escargo. Them are hard on the blades. No walking Catfish, either. Just the plain ole flatheads. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

footer

Ive cut the head off a baby Owl and quite a few mice

moonhill

I must admit that if an adult pine borer lands on the cant while I am cutting I will make a special pass just for it.   I don't like them especially if they get down the neck of my shirt.  Sometimes it feels like a war out there. 

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!