iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

346xp

Started by albrosm, December 06, 2009, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albrosm

i have the 346 with a 18" bar and the h30 nk  chain, i use it to cut firewood about 5 to 7 cords a year wanted to know what type of chain i should replace it with some of the wood will probably be dirty and may even switch to a 16" bar any suggestion. on what to use bar and chain and types

Log Hogger

I just tried out a loop of Oregon LPX (chisel) on my Husqvarna 445; it was like a new saw.  No problems so far running it on the POS microlite bar, but I bought a standard .050 bar and several loops of LPX that I'll switch to after I'm done with my test loop of LPX. 

The LPX dulled a bit faster than the narrow kerf semi-chisel 95VP (aka H30), but the cutting efficiency more than made up for it.  I sharpen my chain with each refueling anyways, the chisel just needs an extra stroke compared to the semi-chisel. 

If even 1/4 of the wood you cut is fairly clean, get at least one loop of chisel (Oregon, Carlton, Stihl all make loops that fit your saw).  The first time you put a chisel chain to wood you'll get a woody.  Actually that happens to me every time.  I was just out today cutting dead, dry White Ash with my 46 cc Husky, wood chips streaming behind me, the bar smoothly feeding itself through 10" diameter logs, I finished a few cuts and just started laughing.  No saw to tiny should cut so well.  Whereas I previously would have fired up my 066 for 12" logs, I'm now using my 445 on up to 14" logs.   

On bar length I'd go with a 16" unless all you cut is softwood.  Some prefer a longer bar because it saves them from bending over so much.  I've found shorter bars are easier to keep out of the ground, and less likely to unintentionally hit stuff with the tip, but that's probably as much to do with my technique as the bar length. 

ford62783

i agree with hogger the chisel is a great chain if u sharpen it more often with just 2 passes with over the chain before it gets dead dull it will cut beautifully i prefer the oregon myself
as for a 445 i have a 350 i got for light work but i took that anti kick chain off first thing put a chisel on and i cut fire wood up to 16 inches with it and sum bigger and it never bogs down just remember to file ur rakers every so often
timberjack 240e

SawTroll

To use up the NK bar, get some Oregon 20LP(X) for clean wood, and some Stihl 23RMC for the more dirty wood.
Information collector.

SawTroll

This was a double post - please delete mods!
Information collector.

Urbicide

Hello. I have the 346XP New Edition (50cc). It has become one of my favorite saws to use for general cutting when I don't need the extra weight or bar length that a larger displacement saw provides. My saw came equipped with an 18" narrow-kerf bar that uses a 72 link count chain. I swear by Bailey's 20NK chain. It is a semi-chisel chain which is actually manufactured for Bailey's by Carlton. I do a lot of TSI on my woodlot and quite a bit of that involves cutting in conditions that can be described as anything but pristine. I am not a person who derives pleasure from having to stop cutting while I am on a roll and either sharpen or swap out chains. I would suggest that you try a loop or 2  for yourself, along with the Oregon ones, and test them out under your own cutting conditions. You will be impressed and seeing is believing. The price is right and Bailey's has rightfully earned a reputation for their outstanding customer service.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=Woodlandpro%2020nk&catID=820

Vince

Thank You Sponsors!