iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweetgum Table

Started by johnharvey, December 05, 2009, 08:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnharvey

Finally finished my wife's new dining room table. The sweetgum lumber was generously donated by pineywoods. (Thanks again for that). Table is traditional mortise and tenon construction.  John Harvey

able_2.jpg [/img]

johnharvey

Having trouble uploading photos. Anyone got any suggestions?
John Harvey

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

I looked at your gallery and don't understand the small picture. It looks like you over-optimized it or used the thumbnail.  I fixed you profile to make your gallery link show under your name on the left of the posts, so it will be easier to find the pictures.  The one of the table in the room with the bad lighting is a big picture, I'll post it here.  

OH!  A lot of problems can be incurred by using special characters, spaces, or upper case in file names, like pictures.  You may notice that you have both.  That might be causing the problem.

fishpharmer

johnharvey, beautiful sweetgum table you built.  How long was the lumber dried before building with it?  Or any process taking to prepare the sweetgum for the table, thanks.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

johnharvey

I believe pineywoods said that it was air dried outdoors for over one year. I let it dry a little more in my shop. The only special thing I did with it was after I jointed one side of the board, I would wait a few days before I planed it to final thickness. The lumber warped quite a bit during drying, but was stable after jointing and planing.

John Harvey

pineywoods

FYI the sweetgum lumber John used to make that nice table was an experiment on my part. John was a willing accomplice. Sweet gum I have plenty of. The stuff is a weed, spreads quickly and grows fast. only use is some paper mills will take it for making low grade paper. It actually saws nicely. I got to wondering if something useful could be done with it. I quartersawed a big old butt cut into 1X4's and 1X6's stickered and stacked it in the shade, and put some old roofing tin over stack. Gave John the top half of the stack to see what he could do with it. A few pieces had some mild spalt and there are some color streaks. My experience sorta matches his, the stuff will warp, especially around knots, but once dry, it's fairly stable. It takes a stain very nicely. John, I presume you downsized and compressed your pics before uploading. There's a better way. Use the Jupload facility. It will automaticly resize and compress for optimum size, then upload to your gallery. You get a larger pic that way.

Oh, and the rest of that stack is still there if you want it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

Sweetgum is one of the most beautifully figured domestic woods.  Your table is a beautiful example!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Nice table John, and great teamwork behind the sweetgum selection. We don't have this wood up here in the far NE.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!