iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

round tooth saw chain

Started by maple flats, December 05, 2009, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

My BIL asked about getting a spool of saw chain with rounded cutters instead of square tooth. He has to cut a lot of wood with rot in the middle and that holds an edge better with the rot. This is for an old Pioneer saw. Anyone know what numbers to suggest? He did not know the gauge of the bar, so please give numbers for the most likely gauges. When I go I will check the gauge and give him the number to match.
I suggested carbide chain but he would rather the older rounded tooth design.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Al_Smith

You don't want a carbide chain .First of all it's slow as a snail, plus it has to be machined sharpened .Most of all just one loop of it will cost more than a whole roll of regular chain .

About the chain ,you want semi chisel .You have to know the pitch and gauge of the chain though,you can't just guess at it .To get the pitch measure the length of three rivets from the center of the rivets  and divide by two .To get the gauge measure the driver with a set of micrometers .

My guess if it's an old timey Pioneer it likely will be .404 by .063 . If that be the case Baileys has a close out on that size at this very minute .

GASoline71

About the only people that benefit from carbide chain are firefighters...

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Thank You Sponsors!