iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

we got snow

Started by timberfaller390, December 05, 2009, 08:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

This is the first time it has snowed more than a dusting here in the last few years, even though it's only a couple inches. It's also the earliest I can remember it snowing here.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Qweaver

Friends in Houston said that they had an inch yesterday.  In 32 years there I only saw real snow once.  We got sleet a few times but only once did I see real snow flakes fall.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Texas Ranger

Earliest recorded snow fall in south east Texas in recorded history.  Some areas south of Houston got as much as 4 inches.

Global Warming.  Yeah, that's the ticket.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

dail_h

We're gettin it here inWV now.The snow snakes are already out here,one got my buddy Jeff as he was going to get a shot of wood for the stove. The shock musta been pretty bad,put'em on his butt. I snickered ;D ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

SwampDonkey

We had some Monday but it's gone now after heavy rain Thursday. The storm on the coast is too far off to hit us up here. Filtered sun right now, feels mild for in the 30's.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

The boys in Alberta could use some help digging this morning.  ;D It has been clear and sunny here for the last few days but unseasonably cold. The high for Monday is expected to be below freezing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

Sure beats the rain we had for the whole month of November,eh Roy?  8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

You got that right. I finally get to clean up my yard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jander3

Only and inch of snow here in Minnesota so far.  But it's been 20 degrees for a few days.  The lakes are starting to freeze up nicely.  Soon it will be time for ice fishing.

isawlogs

Its flooding here and snowing in Texax   ::)   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

November was dry here except the weekends.  ::) It would be sunny all week and rain on the weekend all month. Was great for brush cutting though.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

Sunshine, T-s and hanging X-mas lights today. :) 

Brucer

Only 2 feet of snow on the ground so far, and the ski hill hasn't opened yet. No snow forecast for next week either. A lot of businesses depend on the skiing tourists. Folks are starting to get a bit panicky.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rickywashere

well around 4inches here last night most snow i can remember here in year this early most of our come in jan feb

WildDog

I'm jealous, make the most of the snow guys, we are declared drought and are having problems in my area with bushfires.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Had a skiff of snow and very few flakes in the air now, mostly south of here.

thecfarm

Probaly 3 inches here.Last year it snowed before this and stayed.Like to see it warm up and melt it all away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yes, the last 2 winters were hard winters, lots of snow and very cold in January. Last January I burnt 2 cords of wood, that was darn cold -30 to -50 F every night and barely moved 5 degrees in the sun. brrrr

bull

We got a 2 inch dusting and its melting from the bottom up....... Not enough to plow, melted off the asphalt AND WITH NO FROST Im not plowing dirt,it'll melt....... No money this week !!! And now there will be even more mud in the woods....

Sprucegum

We only got about 5 inches here. Then a big wind came - blew it all off the fields onto the roads  :-\  ::)

customdave

We got 10" on monday, then 8" on friday again had to plow the yard twice this week, worst part was the wind & the drifting snow, made the roads interesting plus the temp is dropping too , this makes it fun! Spent all day yesterday on tractor plowing yard, a neighbors yard, 4 miles of bad spots on county roads on the way to my brothers yard to plow him out! 10 oclock till 6 oclock pm , still have to plow my mill & log yards out today, o well we do need the moisture.....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

moonhill

We got 8" I don't want to plow, I don't want to grade the road either, no frost what so ever in the ground.  I am packing this one.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

chevytaHOE5674

We have between 1 and 3 feet on the ground depending on where you go. Calling for more snow everyday this week, with a major blizzard on wednesday and thursday.

Coon

Well, we only got about 3 inches of snow and it's making up for the lack of with cold weather.  It was -30 Celcius this morning and warmed up to -27.  Remenber -32 Celcius is equal to -32 Fahrenheit.  :o  :-[
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

IMERC

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 05, 2009, 10:11:45 AM
Earliest recorded snow fall in south east Texas in recorded history.  Some areas south of Houston got as much as 4 inches.

Global Warming.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

yup...
that's it...
the global warming at work...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

chevytaHOE5674

I could go for a little Global warming, its supposed to be in the teens and twenties all week with snow.... Winter has arrived, can't wait until its over April or May....

Carpenter

It snowed 2" here last night.  It was -4 this morning and is 11 degrees now.  I had to work outside today and had so many layers on, I was actually hot.  I've got an inside job for tomorrow though, we may be in for a blizzard.

IMERC

just the usual for high altitude Colorado...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

Was 6 F this am, now 16. Snow on the way for afternoon and that dreaded ice mixed in sometime and wind to follow. I'm right on the edge of the "ice belt", I call it. We get ice storms a few times a year, at my uncles further north they rarely get ice. 6" snow expected here, more northward. Never been without electric for more than a coupe hours that i can recall. Never froze too death anyway.  Heck, I could go to the shop and cook beans and taters on the wood stove and boil snow for water. :D

chevytaHOE5674

Had 2-3 foot on the ground yesterday, supposed to get 14-18" more today. And then more snow everyday through next week it looks like.

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 09, 2009, 10:19:20 AM
Heck, I could go to the shop and cook beans and taters on the wood stove and boil snow for water. :D

Just make sure you don't boil any of that yellow snow right outside the door.   :D :D

This morning it real nasty outside. Can't keep track of the inches of snow that are blowing past the window right now. And Iowa is worse. Last night they said they were opening the state emergency management center. Guess that's the "Katrina Effect" where the Iowa governor doesn't want to be critisized for not being prepared.

Now it seems that all snow storms are major emergency events. I guess snow is an emergency if it threatens your global warming agenda.   ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Norm

Yes it's pretty much shut down the state of Iowa. We took the big tractor to work this morning digging through the bigger drifts and just bulling through the rest. Seems the rest of the country expects us to show up to work....the audacity of them! :D

stonebroke

We had 3 to 6 inches but I cant measure it in the 50 MPH winds. It is bare ground to three foot drifts. Friday we had bare ground and sunshine.

Stonebroke

beenthere

Wish I had a big tractor with a cab.   ;D

I'm envious (but not about having to go to work).  :) :)

Now, trying to debate with myself...plow snow now while the temps are up around 25° F and strong winds and still snowing, or wait until the temp drops to the single digits, and the wind picks up, but maybe the snow has stopped. Hmmm?

Do it now, and will have to do it again to remove the drifting in. Do it later, and ??  Don't think I will worry about plowing out for the mail lady.

Looks to be at least the 12" they said it would be.

We should have a global warming jingle to sing or humm while out plowing in the cold.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

In the same situation here. Guess I will go out and blow snow now and probably again later as it's still coming.

All schools are closed in the area, I was going to go to the hockey game tonight, but that will be cancelled.
~Ron

Jeff

This is some pretty nasty snow in this one.  Very wet.  We only got about 8 inches so far, but it might not be done.  Got it all blown out for now. It didnt really blow, just kind a burped out the end it was so wet.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Jeff on December 09, 2009, 11:39:10 AM
This is some pretty nasty snow in this one.  Very wet.  We only got about 8 inches so far, but it might not be done.  Got it all blown out for now. It didnt really blow, just kind a burped out the end it was so wet.

Taking it your back downstate? I heard they were having some mixed rain/ice down there also.

UP here its pure powder, and fluffy as can be.

Warbird

Y'all send some of that snow up here to Fairbanks.  We are supposed to get really cold again soon and still do not have a good snow cover.

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on December 09, 2009, 11:17:08 AM

Now, trying to debate with myself...plow snow now while the temps are up around 25° F and strong winds and still snowing, or wait until the temp drops to the single digits, and the wind picks up, but maybe the snow has stopped. Hmmm?

I opted for now. It's really wet underneath and freezes to a skating rink when ya clean it off.

It looks as tho I'm going to have to break down and buy them chains for my Kubota just like Reddog and I talked about...........Last Year!  ::)  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Sprucegum

:o  I was going to go to the hockey game tonight, but that will be cancelled  :o

We can close the school because its cold or because its deep snow and everyone still shows up for hockey  ???  ???

SwampDonkey

They never close highways here. All they do is issue warnings, basically your on your own if your nutz enough to go out in the mess. On the major highways the plows move steady in bad ones. The secondaries like the farm roads get plowed, if they have a route number, during storms and the back roads sometimes, but usually only a couple times or the next day. They have sanded and plowed a lot better in the last 10 years than they ever did before. If a snow plow can't make it, a grader with a scraper  and blower will go anywhere.  ;D

Magicman

And the 3rd grader asked....."How does the man that drives the snowplow get to work" ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D Hagens

Quote from: Magicman on December 09, 2009, 03:52:56 PM
And the 3rd grader asked....."How does the man that drives the snowplow get to work" ???

:Dmakes ya think don't it :D

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Magicman on December 09, 2009, 03:52:56 PM

In town here the snowmobile trail runs right next to the county plow garage, coincidence...? I think not.  :D

beenthere

I went out at 11 am, and found (too) that the 1" of slush on the bottom turned into very slippery ice immediately upon getting rid of the top 12". Got stuck 3/8 mile from the house, and walked back for some chains. Then put some chains on the fronts too. Just couldn't do anything without the chains.

Had to buck 4' drifts back (wish I had that wing plow now  ::) ) the hard way but finally goRdun a little after 3. So far the wind hasn't picked up over 20mph so keeping fingers crossed that the worst is over and it won't all drift back in. Will go out again in the morning. Can't wait to go out when the temps are minus F and the winds are 30 mph.  ;D
Get a small taste of what the Canucks and the AK's tolerate on a normal winter day. Brrrr!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

I kinda wished it was snowing here... that way I'd know it's not so cold out.  Still -23*C here which is slightly better than the -33*C we had yesterday morning.  Heck we had more snow on the ground in October than we got right now.  ::)  On the bright side with this cold weather, I hear that there is a few people out ice fishing.  Ice has got to be thick enough by now to walk on and maybe even use a snowmobile.  Going to go check my local trout hole  for ice thickness tomorow.  Gotta get the shack finished too....

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: beenthere on December 09, 2009, 05:57:46 PM
I went out at 11 am, and found (too) that the 1" of slush on the bottom turned into very slippery ice immediately upon getting rid of the top 12". Got stuck 3/8 mile from the house, and walked back for some chains. Then put some chains on the fronts too. Just couldn't do anything without the chains.

Had to buck 4' drifts back (wish I had that wing plow now  ::) ) the hard way but finally goRdun a little after 3. So far the wind hasn't picked up over 20mph so keeping fingers crossed that the worst is over and it won't all drift back in. Will go out again in the morning. Can't wait to go out when the temps are minus F and the winds are 30 mph.  ;D
Get a small taste of what the Canucks and the AK's tolerate on a normal winter day. Brrrr!

Glad to hear you're alright Beenthere. Gotta watch you older guys during the cold season.  ;D

Sounds like you and Steve are having your work cut out for you. Gotta admit though, I do miss playing in the snow. Been out of Southern Wisconsin too long.

...I'll move back when I have a dump truck to drive to work.  :D
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

SwampDonkey

The storm hasn't amounted to beans here yet. Less than an inch on the steps, no wind, no ice.  I was wondering why I never heard any snow fall from the roof all night. 8)

bull

nasty slop here about 8 inches with three hours of heavy rain in it...... made for fun plowing  lots of huge snow balls.... Alot of pushing back with the loader because the snow just didn't want to come off the blade. will be headed out after 8:00 (School Buses ) to do some cleanup

moonhill

Me too, plowing slush it the worse. We got the same.  I would rather see 3' of power, I should be careful of what I wish for.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

bull

yup, down here everyone was praying for anything but another Ice storm, well we got as close as we could !!! be careful what you wish for !!!

chevytaHOE5674

Had another 8" of snow this morning with some drifts in the 3-4 foot range. Still have a lake effect snow warning through Saturday at 7am, calling for another 24+" of snow by then. Looking forward to April when the snow stops and weather warms up.

iffy

Had about a foot of that global warming stuff here in the middle of Kansas. I live not too far from Ft Riley and the first major snow/ice of the year is always pretty entertaining here. We of course get soldiers from all over the US, and in many cases they or their family members have never driven in snow. There was a waiting list for wrecker services this week.

ksu_chainsaw

We ended up with about 6-8 inches of snow here, which then the wind picked up and blew it into 2-3 foot drifts in my driveway and 5-7 foot drifts on the road to town.  I didnt get out of the house yesterday, but the neighbors were nice enough to plow out the road enough to get through- but i still had to plow about 1.5 miles of road and driveway with the 4wheeler to get the car out- not fun when it was -7 this morning.  West of us about 60 miles, a couple guys I work with had 7-8 foot drifts in their driveway.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!