iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yikees!

Started by Bibbyman, December 04, 2009, 06:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary and I ran a load of ties to Sedalia yesterday.   On our return trip we were tooling down the divided highway at 70 mph when Mary lets out a yell.   I looked around in panic but couldn't see what she was yelling about.  I asked her.  She said, "Didn't you see that car going the wrong way in the lane beside you?".  Well,   I had but didn't really take note.  I had driven about 100 miles on two-lane highway that day and I'd become accustom to seeing cars in the left lane.  But now that she mentioned it,  it didn't sound any too safe.

I quickly looked back in the mirror and there, sure as shootin',  this car was zipping on down the highway the wrong way.  Good thing the traffic was light and nobody was in the left lane.  I watched it meet car after car for at least a half a mile.  The car had to have been traveling that way for a couple of miles as that was how far it was to nearest place he could have gotten on.

I checked the state highway patrol accident report this morning but no accidents were listed for that area at that time.  So I guess they made it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JJ

Yikes is right.
This has happend several times over last year in Maine, with deadly results.
The drunk that does this is usually not seriously hurt, but I have seen several on ramps, right next to express way exit, which makes it easy to make misstake, and miss the do not enter sign.

I think they should put spikes like in parking garages, which will take out the tires of somebody going the wrong way on exit ramps.

JJ

isawlogs

Here I was thinking the Mary had done something again ..  ::) :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bibbyman

This stretch of the highway has a number of "at grade" intersections so the driver likely got on at one of these.   

About 20 years ago the new dual lane highway pasted by the city and replaced the old two lane.  A lot of older folks had never driven on a dual lane or used overpasses or on/off ramps.   It was a real problem for awhile.  They would often go down a ramp and stop at the end to look both ways before pulling out causing a lots of accidents.  I guess many learned and some burned.

Now the stupid, stupid town is fixing to replace one intersection near downtown with one of those round-abouts like they have in Europe.  I know it's going to confuse the old folks like my Dad that has driven those streets for 70 years.
Sawing since '94

fishpharmer

Glad to hear you made it by the confuzed soul (trying to be nice) in one piece.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Left Coast Chris

Its too bad they decided to put in an expressway (at-grade intersections) rather than a freeway (interchanges with over crossings).  Probably not enough funding.  If the accidents stack up you will probably see interchanges being added.  Broadside accidents at the at-grade intersections are usually the most common and are really deadly along with the head-ons.

Hope the Highway Patrol gets that guy off the road.  Very likely he was impaired.  I used to do the accident investigations for the Calif Transportation Dept (Caltrans) and it is unbelievable the frequency of impaired drivers involved in accidents.

We are so glad you and Mary made it home that day. :o :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

DanG

Likely was just some bloke from Australia, the land where left is right, mate. ::) ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

There are thousands of miles of dual lane highway in Missouri that has "at grade" intersections.  Some have a mixture of both.  If I counted right, the 30 mile stretch of US 54 from I70 to the Missouri River Bridge has 11 overpasses and 8 "at grade" intersections.

There are two basic kinds of overpasses – the cloverleaf and the diamond-T.  I don't have much problem with either.  It's when they mix the two designs that cause problems. 

Just north of Jefferson City there is an intersection of highways, US 54, US63 and MO 94.  US 54 and US 63 are combined as the cross the bridge heading north.  Then in about a mile US 54 continues north and to continue on US 63 the traffic needs to take a loop to the east to turn around and go west.  (Even though US 54 is an east west highway – it goes north,  and US 63 is an north south highway, it goes west. Confusing, ain't it?).   MO 94 comes into the overpass from the east and "dead ends" there, except if you just keep on going the highway turns into US 63.

Well, the real problem comes when the stupid highway designers decided that instead of a full four-leaf clover, they would install three leaves and make the off ramp to MO 94 from US 54 a diamond-T design but with an on-ramp/merge lane onto MO 94.  BUT!  Here is what happens.  People heading north out of Jefferson City and wanting to continue on US 63 will take, by mistake or intentional, the MO 94 exit instead of using the exit loop provided just past the overpass.  They often shoot right across the traffic at the top of the overpass and turn left onto US 63 instead of ramping onto MO 94.  I came through this intersection for 20 years and had to "face" these idiots more times than I'd like to remember.  But then if they do stop at the top of the intersection thus avoiding pulling out across traffic, they risk getting hit from behind by people expecting to ramp onto MO 94.   

Stupid, stupid design with no reason for it other than somebody decided that MO 94 only justified a diamond-T intersection where the US highways would get a cloverleaf.   The intersection is out in the middle of the river bottom with no development around it so there was no space constraint. 
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Quote from: DanG on December 05, 2009, 01:47:06 AM
Likely was just some bloke from Australia, the land where left is right, mate. ::) ;D :D

Thats Too Rite Dang  ;) :D he musta just thought he was on a single lane just like home  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D But we must have afew Yanks overhere then  i reckon Mate  :o ??? :) ::)  ;) :D ;D

Round abouts a rpita Stop them before they start showing up everywhere overthere  ;)

That reminds me of a story in Trucking Life mag about a test Scania invited about 18 jurnos from trucking mags from all over the world  to do a test drive on a new model they where brinnging out 18 loaded (tractors) trucks following an Aussie  :D he got to the first round about and came out the other side on the wrong side of the road  :o  :) Being a quick witted bloke he got on the cb as the last trucks where coming out of the roundabout and said And thats how we do it in Australia Fellas  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Larry

It's interesting watching the Missouri highway problems...from another state. ;D

Years ago Missouri passed a big bond issue to make needed highway improvements.  The money somehow disappeared into the general fund and many improvements were never made.  Voters have a good memory and they took the Fool me once...Fool me twice attitude.

The state than went to the terrorist mode where they let roads lapse into such horrible conditions that it was impossible to safely travel the speed limits....I-70 and US 71 south of KC.  That didn't work well either.

Me thinks they have progressed to the dumb and dumber design mode, to agitate the voters some more.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

stonebroke

NY passed a bond act in the early 90s and the state comptroller just audited it. 35% of the money actually went to fixing the roads.

Stonebroke

easymoney

i am not a truck driver but i can see that a lot of the roads and intersections are not designed for trucks. a lot of the intersections do not have enough room for long trailer trucks to turn without taking up almost all the intersection.
that reminds me of the old joke about a woman calling her husband on his cell phone and telling him she heard on the news that there was a car going the wrong way on the interstate. he said there is not just one there are hundreds of them going the wrong way. ;D

Bibbyman

Quote from: easymoney on December 05, 2009, 07:19:48 PM
i am not a truck driver but i can see that a lot of the roads and intersections are not designed for trucks. a lot of the intersections do not have enough room for long trailer trucks to turn without taking up almost all the intersection.

I agree with that!  I often take note of a truck trying to get out onto the highway or negotiate an intersection and try to give them room.  I'm amazed at how many people don't have a clue and shoot right up to where the truck driver can't make his turn.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

People like that Learn when they get pinned inbetween the trialer and apowerpole or somthing like that  ;) same goes for the ones who come tear arseing past you then hit the bloody brakes rite infront of you to go down a side road   :o :) ??? ::) ::)

WildDog

If I ever get to the states I reckon I'll need to hire an automatic, sitting on the left hand side driving on the right hand side of the road and then working the gear stick with my right hand has got to get confusing for someone down under.... I did drive a Willeys jeep once but that was around the paddock.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Meadows Miller

Gday

move_it Keep that window up if you do  ;) there might be some wierd hand movements coming outa it when your trying to grab a gear mate  :o :) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

reguards Chris

Sunfield Hardwood

Did ya hear about the lady who called her elderly husband on the cell phone and told him to be careful, there's some nut driving the wrong way on the highway, he says, one Heck! there's hundreds of them. :D :D.  Not makeing fun of your episode Bibbyman, I'm allways amazed how many people still think its okay to have a few and still drive :-\
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

ScottAR

The automatic might be a good Idea...  Might grab the door
handle and let yourself out... :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

WildDog

QuoteThe automatic might be a good Idea...  Might grab the door
handle and let yourself out...

ScottAR if there was vehicles coming at me on the wrong side of the road that could be my choice of action.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Sprucegum

There is a guy in town here who owns a vehicle with the steering on the "wrong" side. He has a big dog (Great Dane) sitting where the driver should be. I chuckle every time I meet them on the road.  :D

Bibbyman

I'm accustom to seeing people drive on the right (wrong) side of the vehicle as most of the rural mail deliver guys have their cars rigged with auxiliary right hand wheel and controls.   That don't bother me as they stay on the right side of the road.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!